Tearing (?) problem with ATI 9600

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 29, 2005 3:43:14 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded the video card on my Windows HTPC from a Radeon
9000 to Radeon 9600, mostly for gaming purposes.

Unfortunately I'm having a new problem that I never experienced before.
When the action on the television transitions quickly, I'll see a thin
horizontal line through the picture. This only happens when the screen
moves quickly, and it only happens on the television. It's also not
pixelation, as I definitely know what that looks like. I believe this
is called tearing?

I have a standard CRT television, and the computer is hooked up via
s-video. This same exact setup worked perfectly with the Radeon 9000,
so I know it must have something to do with the new card. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I have also installed both
the full feature ATI driver set, and the more minimal one. I have tried
fiddling with the various settings offered in the control panel as
well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 7:27:31 PM

strict9 wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently upgraded the video card on my Windows HTPC from a Radeon
> 9000 to Radeon 9600, mostly for gaming purposes.
>
> Unfortunately I'm having a new problem that I never experienced before.
> When the action on the television transitions quickly, I'll see a thin
> horizontal line through the picture. This only happens when the screen
> moves quickly, and it only happens on the television. It's also not
> pixelation, as I definitely know what that looks like. I believe this
> is called tearing?
>
> I have a standard CRT television, and the computer is hooked up via
> s-video. This same exact setup worked perfectly with the Radeon 9000,
> so I know it must have something to do with the new card. I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I have also installed both
> the full feature ATI driver set, and the more minimal one. I have tried
> fiddling with the various settings offered in the control panel as
> well.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is caused by the video refresh rate not being the same as the TV
refresh rate. The video cards needs to sync with the refresh rate of
your television.
August 29, 2005 8:19:22 PM

"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in message
> strict9 wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I recently upgraded the video card on my Windows HTPC from a Radeon
>> 9000 to Radeon 9600, mostly for gaming purposes.
>>
>> Unfortunately I'm having a new problem that I never experienced before.
>> When the action on the television transitions quickly, I'll see a thin
>> horizontal line through the picture. This only happens when the screen
>> moves quickly, and it only happens on the television. It's also not
>> pixelation, as I definitely know what that looks like. I believe this
>> is called tearing?
>>
>> I have a standard CRT television, and the computer is hooked up via
>> s-video. This same exact setup worked perfectly with the Radeon 9000,
>> so I know it must have something to do with the new card. I have tried
>> uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I have also installed both
>> the full feature ATI driver set, and the more minimal one. I have tried
>> fiddling with the various settings offered in the control panel as
>> well. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>>

> This is caused by the video refresh rate not being the same as the TV
> refresh rate. The video cards needs to sync with the refresh rate of your
> television.

If there's a Vsync setting in the ATI software make sure it's turned on. I
know on the Nvidia cards when using on a computer anyway turning Vsync to
always on can eliminate any tearing.
Bob
August 31, 2005 4:02:05 PM

Well that was a simple cause of the problem. The funny thing is that
I'm not sure what was set wrong. I went in and changed the monitor
refresh rate to 85hz (it was previously set to 60) and reset the
various TV display options to default. It looks like the problem went
away! Thanks for the help!
October 5, 2011 12:20:25 AM

I dont know why but if u dont use fullscreen on games, your problem will be fixed :)  I tried and learned..
!