Sign in with
Your question

Beware of coolerguys.com

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2009 8:53:16 AM

Has anyone else haad trouble with these guys? they sent me a defective pump, after advertising easy returns on Amazon, they refuse to accept a return. they say it is standard policy but thats not what they advertised. they were super rude when I emailed to ask for an RMA. Don't buy from coolerguys.com.

More about : beware coolerguys

a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2009 12:10:30 PM

No idea, never bought from them.

I buy from petras, danger den, frozencpu.
April 1, 2009 2:06:16 PM

I've had no issues with them, however whenever it comes to watercooling equipment I order from frozencpu. Secondly I order directly from their site (Amazon bungles the return process, for all of their marketplace orders). As well as I go to them ONLY for air cooling (my Noctua, and multiple Arctic Cooling units), then again they take less time to ship to an APO address (1 week, as opposed to 2-4 weeks for newegg).
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2009 2:08:52 AM

^Really? Didn't know that. Don't read mags any more, lol.
April 2, 2009 3:13:00 AM

They've been excellent all three times I've ordered from them. They're rated pretty highly (4.5/5) in the online business satisfaction indexes, too.

There's not much they don't stock, from a tiny CPU fan for my old PII, to AC fans we're using to ventilate a crawlspace in our house. They have quality brands, too - like Sunon - so you won't have to replace a fan twice.

They also carry some of the most unique sound dampening accessories I've ever seen. After having tried all sorts of things to quiet some loud SCSI hard drives, including lining the case with Dynamat automotive dampening sheet, I sure wish I'd known about the quiet hard drive and fan mounts they carry. That sort of stuff is really hard to locate - go ahead and try.

Finally, their prices are great, their shipping charges are reasonable, and they ship lickety-split. I've never had to return anything, but so far I really like what I see - Coolerguys have been excellent to me. If you repair PCs, they're *the* go-to source for replacement fans.

tl;dr - I like Coolerguys a lot.
April 2, 2009 4:11:07 AM

I noticed that very soon after I posted a negative review of Coolerguys on Amazon, several bogus high ratings were posted, within several hours of each other(how likely is that?) Most likely by employees and friends of coolerguys.com, in an effort to push my negative review offscreen. Thats type of self promo padding is probably why their rating is so high. I'd be curous to see if the same screen names immediately buy something after a negative review is posted. I also prefer frozenCPU and have bought most of my gear from them (what I couldn't get at the automotive supply)
April 2, 2009 3:27:16 PM

Dude, I'm a very real customer of theirs and am speaking only from personal experience. And I will take your negative experience as a fair warning if I encounter any trouble in the future.

But you shouldn't insinuate that anyone's polluting the water until you really know what you're talking about. If you read their terms of sale, you might have noted the following:

"Merchandise Returns / RMA"

"Before returning any product, you must fill out our RMA form.
No returns, of any type, will be accepted without this form completely filled out and the returned item(s) accompanied by your RMA #.
All returns must be returned within 30 days of the original ship date.

Note: We will not accept the return of any watercooling parts, please contact the manufacturer directly."

Now, I don't know what the deal is with no returns accepted on water cooling parts, but you can't say they shafted you. Perhaps they should have warned you when you placed your order, I'll give you that. But did you ever contact the pump manufacturer, like you were supposed to? What did they say?

And if you *do* know of any site with a number of significant complaints against the company, please share it. Chances are good that that objective information would be of keen interest to the exact sort of people most likely to read this thread.

Let's not get all crunk up with the noise, people, power to the signal!
May 19, 2012 4:24:42 AM

differenceengine said:
Has anyone else haad trouble with these guys? they sent me a defective pump, after advertising easy returns on Amazon, they refuse to accept a return. they say it is standard policy but thats not what they advertised. they were super rude when I emailed to ask for an RMA. Don't buy from coolerguys.com.

Similar experience. Bought a cooling fan that was junk, but worked. Then bought a speed controller for it that fried the moment I plugged it in.
Asked for a return, and they drug their feet. After bothering them over and over, they finally issued an RMA.
Unlike most reputable companies, they did not send a paid return label with the RMA, so I had to spend more to return it.
I never heard back after sending it, so I e-mailed again asking where my refund was. The guy claimed it probably came in on the last batch and hadn't been checked in yet, even though it had been nearly a month, which I pointed out. No response.
Then I threatened them with legal action, and suddenly got this response: "You need to seriously calm down, all of your correspondence have been threats and anger.
I see your box in the return pile so it must have come in the last couple of days since it wasn't there on Wednesday last time they were processed."

Only my last e-mail was threatening. Funny how he was suddenly able to find it in a "pile" after I threatened them.

They finally replied with a refund, but only for the purchase price, not the shipping I paid either way. They charge enough hsipping, and refuse to refund it so when you return the garbage they sell, they still make money. Thieves
a c 239 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 1:28:13 PM

Resurrected dead thread! :pfff: 

In the wrong section to boot! :pfff: 
!