When the power supply goes...

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
what does it usually take with it?

for me right now it seems as though the mobo. i am unable to test anything else right now but i know the hd works (tried with external drive)... i need to know because i will either have to part out the system or replace what i need but i can't go and buy all these parts if some of mine are still good.

so with your experiences, knowledge, please share them with me, it would grealy be appreciated.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It just depends on how the PSU went out. Usually, for me at least, the PSU has never taken anything else out but it could theoretically take out anything and everything plugged into it. Your mobo would probably be the biggest risk. Sometimes it can take out the CPU as well. It could also take out the RAM if you're one unlucky mofo... But I still think it's rare that your CPU and RAM would also be taken out but of course if the mobo fried from the PSU going out then your mobo could have taken out the CPU and/or RAM itself, unlucky chain reaction. It's probably just your mobo though. But of course you won't know for sure unless you can borrow some parts from your friends or what-not to test it. The easiest thing to do is probably test your CPU and RAM in a friends mobo that'll support it after you try a new PSU in your current system. It's just a pain in the @$$ to buy a mobo and find out it's not the only victim or not the victim at all and try to return it. Good Luck man...

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
EXACTLY bro haha you get what im going through.

As to how it went out, it was like this... it turned on, and booted onto windows, saw my desktop. it soon restarted, i hit the power button again it got to the windows loading screen then turned off. then pushed power again, saw the intel screen, and it died. then turned it on again, nothing, held the power button and got saw the boot screen. then finally it died again and never ever again turned on :(

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
sounds like a dead psu,when my Enermax 320 went south it just sort of got real sloooow.so i got and plugged in an Enermax 420 and lo and behold things got fast again,usually psu do not take anything with them,,unless they burn out ,which can come from a cappy going south or some such nonsense,sounds like yours just up and died,so then for anywhere from 60 90$$ can/us you can easily replace it with almost any good name brand psu.. :>)BTW,,,, if the fan on the psu no longer spins that could taken as a good sign of a dead psu,if you can get your hands on a simple multimeter/vom that would cinch it for sure...:>)

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
If you had a power supply tester that could come in handy in future situations as well. But yea, I'd just start off with a new PSU and test your system first. I've also had situations like you've just described where the PSU didn't actually die. After the computer wouldn't turn on anymore, I unplugged the PSU from the wall and turned the computer on to flush all the power out of the PSU and computer. Plugged it back into the wall and it ran for another 3 years.

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
now this is interesting i noticed... with my old power suppy, when i turn it on nothing happens, then i turn off the switch on the back and the cpu fan slightly spins for a split second and the an led fan lights up for a second.

however with my new psu, it does nothing. any thoughts?

matharmony

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
i wanted to know, the culprit on my old setup was the motherboard dying, did my old psu cause that? or did the mobo die itself? i am asking this because i wanted to know if it was safe using my old psu in another computer, or possibly to resell.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Probably just the mobo itself. I wouldn't worry about the PSU unless you start having similar problems with your new board. How old was the old mobo?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
well if the PSU is pretty old then you may wanna replace it anyway. But, it would be best if you could have it tested to see if anything bad is detected. You won't know if the PSU is having problems unless you try it in another system. I'd just try the old one, given it's not 10 years old, until you start experiencing problems and then replace it as soon as you can.