Rookie OC'er - Help Appreciated!

rdpennin

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Hello, everyone! First time poster, be gentle...

As I stated above, I'm a novice OCer in need of some love. I recently built an i7 920 rig, stats below. Last night, I fitted my new build with the Black Knight cooler and started working on a moderate OC.

The OC seems to have gone fine from a stability standpoint, though I'm baffled by the benchmark results. My 3dMark 06 score was a little over 16k before my OC. After the OC, I'm in the 12.5k range. I'm guessing I've set something incorrectly, though I'm not sure what that may be at this point...

On a side note, I'm a bit confused by the BIOS setting for the base clock. In understand that the base clock controls the speed of the processor and other components and that the default setting for a 920 is 133. As I raise the base clock up, my memory also ratchets up - to a point. Once I get to a certain point, the memory goes from a reasonable speed way back down in the 800's. (Adjusted DRAM frequency is what I'm talking about) Is there a default multiplier that's coming into play?

Confused in OC land, any help is appreciated!

RdP2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Specs
Video Card:Sapphire 4870 1gb
Monitor:ASUS VH222H 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
MB:MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58
CPU:Intel Core i7 920
Sound:Onboard
Memory:OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600
PSU:pC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W
HD:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Cooling:Dark Knight CPU Cooler