9800 gtx oc molex connectors

aza13

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Hello,

I am planning on getting a Nvidia 9800 gtx oc graphics card. While researching the card, i found that it requires 2 6pins power connectors. I have one 6pin connector already, however i do not have a second which means i would have to use the 4 to 6pin molex. The problem is... On the splitter which has 2 4pin connectors to the one 6pin, i only have one 4pin conect from my psu which means i am short one 4pin connector. Anyone have any ideas on what i should do to fix this? Thanks for any advice in advance.

aza13

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
It came with the machine. i have a 8800gt oc in it now and it holds up with no sweat. Also is it possible to just plug in one 4pin connector and not use the second? thanks.

aza13

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I have a dell xps, and from what i understand... the psu's that comes with it are pretty good. Anyone have any other suggestions other than upgrading the psu?

You have to use both the connectors. What power supply is it?

Some case power supplies are fine. Antec's EA 500 should run that fine for example. I ran my 8800GTX with my Antec SP450(NOT RECOMMENDED, but i had no choice at the time)

Look on the side of the unit for the rails

see if you can find a max combined rating for the 12volt rails(there may be more then one, but you can not just add the ratings of each)

Even better if you can take a picture of it.

aza13

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I'm at work atm, so i can't take a look at it. Its a dell XPS 410 Pentium D 2.8 ghz, 2 gigs of ddr2, 320gb of hdd space.

I wouldn't trust Dell with any thing. It's not just amps,watts,etc that decides the quality of a PSU. The quality of a PSU is decided by rail stability, max rail load, and a few other things such as manufacture quality (ie how good are the caps,etc).