metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I've had my Q6600 up to 3.6 running fine for a while now. Now all of the sudden whenever I try to do anything very CPU intensive(playing games) I'll get the BSOD - blue screen and crashes. The computer comes back up okay but it will always crash after a while. When I take the overclock back to stock speeds, volts etc it plays fine for hours without crashing to the blue screen. Temps are perfect at 3.6 also...35 idle 50 load.

There's no real way to figure this out, I've been testing some settings with volts and things but nothing seems to make a difference. As of yesterday I've completely re-formatted since I had to do it anyways.

Anyways, ever heard of this? Any ideas? I really want to stay at 3.6ghz.

I like it at 3.6 because the ram is able to run at the full 1066mhz and FSB is maxed, it's a perfect OC I've tried as many volts to the CPU as 1.52 and it still does it, so it's not that. I'm wondering if it could be the mobo? I'm running at 3.0ghz for the time being because I dont have to change ANYTHING 600mhz over, now I want to run another 600mhz over :p I might try 3.5, but would rather have it at 3.6 - any ideas people?

metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
When I run either of those, it crashes to the Blue Screen the same as games. Obviously it makes me believe that it's OC problem which is why I'm posting here about it. Regardless, I don't think this was happening BEFORE I installed Vista. I'm wondering why it was working before. And why would it crash to the BLUE SCREEN and not just crash like normal?

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

If you've recently changed to Vista from anohter operating system (xp?) then that could well be why its BSODing. I had the same problem on my system. I'm dual booted betewen XP & Windows 7 Beta. When I did the original overclock, it was done purely using XP to test it. As soon as Win 7 went on I was getting BSODs all over the place. Had to redo my overclock!

A lot 'normal' crashes (if such a thing exists!) involve a BSOD, but it sometimes comes on screen and disappears like a lightening bolt. Could be the type of crash that you've seen in the past?

hth

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
no offense fruity but this will definitely not be a os problem its a stability problem its either over-clocked too far or too hot ie to much vcore, nothing u can to metalweenis but back off your oc and vcore untill its stable.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
don't agree......
when i was working on my oc it requirid a far greater Vcore just to boot in to Win7 than it did on XP. That alone says that it can be caused by the operating system.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Gotta agree with Fruity here. My brother had similar results on a PC when he changed it from XP to Vista. It needed just the slightest bit move voltage (roughly 0.1V) to boot. This was a on a Pentium D system (820 or 830, I think). You can run into problems by not having enough VCore voltage to sustain the overclocked settings.

Since the OP has gone as high as 1.52V, I dunno what else he can try to maintain the 3.6GHz OC other than going even further, but that might not be such a good idea since the Q6600 is only rated up to 1.5V.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
if your oc cant boot an os then its not stable simple really.

The differences between xp and win7 and vista will only be caused by the cpu utilization and length of time to load

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

How about the fact that my XP boot passed every known stability test with flying colours, yet Win7 couldn't even load?

I absolutely don't doubt that if a OC'd PC can't boot an OS then it isn't stable, but I can absolutely prove that stable on one OS may not be stable on another. Do you have evidence to show otherwise?