Status
Not open for further replies.

gwbodi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello,new I7-2600K Asus P8Z68
ran 5 min then trip on high temp several times 86,88, 89°C. reworked the stock coolker seat twice. cupid hw shows cores build from around 45°C to 85-93 °C with only cupid running. asked newegg for rma - could it be the board?

Solution
Start off with reaching in to the case and see if you can pull any of the 4 twist clips straight up. If you can then your HSF (heatsink/fan) isnt seated right. (believe me I know it is a pain to make sure that you have seated the HSF right). If that doesnt fix the issue you can do an RMA with Newegg or you can call our technical support line at 916-377-7000 and they will be happy to help you out.

I have an Cooler Master Hyper 212+ on mine Intel® Core™ i7-2600K and I am at an idle temp of low 30s and under load I see the 50s or low 60s.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

gwbodi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
New to Tom's. First PC in 82 - this is my backup mchine and I have no experience with the I7-2600K. Everyone/all articles, talk about adding a cooler, however running in the high 80s stock seems to be a bad start and a sure CPU failure down the road. I do plan on adding a cool master v6 later (when the cpu problem is solved - it trips out with OC or load)

Start off with reaching in to the case and see if you can pull any of the 4 twist clips straight up. If you can then your HSF (heatsink/fan) isnt seated right. (believe me I know it is a pain to make sure that you have seated the HSF right). If that doesnt fix the issue you can do an RMA with Newegg or you can call our technical support line at 916-377-7000 and they will be happy to help you out.

I have an Cooler Master Hyper 212+ on mine Intel® Core™ i7-2600K and I am at an idle temp of low 30s and under load I see the 50s or low 60s.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

gwbodi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks for the pointer, I did check, had my son check also (avid computer enthusiast 24yrs old). Do you know of issues with the mobo reading thru the bios incorrectly? My son advised he touched the stock Intel fan sinks out of the fan spin and it did not seem that hot? Also the readings seemed to change from 60 to 80°C rapidly on startup then steadily raise to high 80s

How do MOBOs read temp - Thermocouples/RTDs ? bad sensors or are the readings implied?

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
You should be hovering around 35 to 40C when idling, perhaps only 60ish when under intense load. I hover around 39C most of the time with the stock fan. One thing that comes to mind is the thermal paste - have you checked this to see if there's enough? When reseating the CPU fan, press the pins on opposite sides simultaneously for best results. That is, if you want to get the pin on the northern part of the fan, get the one on the southern end at the same time. Do the same for the east and west ones afterward. Another thing to check for is dust - dust can cause unexpected heating and even short things out if the dust accumulation gets bad.

gwbodi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

thanks for the reply:
Yes - reworked the thermal paste twice. Fan seated. Open case, Raven II, ambient temp about 75°F. Each time after reinstalling the fan the readings were the same from CUPID HW - ASUS utility and others. I do not believe my problem is with the install since my son and I have each installed the Fan/CPU. Temperature bounces between 60-88°C, then steady raise to high 80s.
My son builds computers from time to time. I do instrumentation/control engineering using DCS, and PLCs. both of use take a cautious approach and still wondering if the problem could be in the MOBO or how he temp is read.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

When you use the BIOS, the temp you see is generally based on what you may encounter during a full load. I've left my system in the BIOS for 20 minutes to monitor temps and I regularly see temps getting into the 50's, of which is also what I get during load. Idling will be much less than this, done only when in the OS after startup is finished.

As a last resort, you could use a regular box fan to see if that has any effect. This will get air flowing and with temps that high, could rule out troublesome fans that may not be working. Speaking of which, have you checked all the fans to see if they're spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.