PDA with MP3, GPS and USB

September 8, 2004 9:48:01 AM

I'm looking for a PDA to be used in my car. I have the following wish
list:

1/ Connect to GPS receiver for car navigation (software
www.tomtom.com)

2/ MP3 player (through a FM transmitter the MP3's should be heard on
my car stereo)

3/ USB port so I can attach an external USB hard disk of 20 GB with my
entire MP3 collection

4/ WIFI so when I reach an hotspot, I can read my e-mail

- Do you know of any PDA with these capabilities (especially USB 2.0
support is hard to find)?

- Do you have any experience with such a setup? Would I be able to
play MP3's and use the car navigation soft at the same time
(multitasking)?

- Or can I just keep on dreaming and should I buy an IPOD + PDA as 2
separate devices?

Best regards

Ivan

More about : pda mp3 gps usb

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:05:28 PM

In article <f51e638e.0409080448.4246b7ba@posting.google.com>, Ivan Eulaers
wrote:
> 3/ USB port so I can attach an external USB hard disk of 20 GB with my
> entire MP3 collection
[...]
> - Do you know of any PDA with these capabilities (especially USB 2.0
> support is hard to find)?

USB is fundamentally "master/slave", not "peer to peer". A device is
either a host or a peripheral. You need some special, rare chips to
be able to do both, and from what I gather they can't do both at the
same time.

I gather there are some Pocket PC devices that can be a USB host:
http://www.deje.gmxhome.de/index.html

There's a preannounced CF card:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=113389

Basically, for what you're looking for, you'll need to go Pocket PC.
I'd be surprised if any of 'em did USB 2.0, though.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not
entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
!