AdamDBurns

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
ok ive bought two vista computers and 2 250gb external hdds to back up on one computer is an acer and the hdd is partitiond 50%-50% the other one which is an hp is partitioned 90%-10% once i had the external hdds i wanted to get rid of the partition and help and support told me to go to disk management to delete it but all id did was wipe out the stuff in the partitionan and make it inactive and all it says is unallocated memory how do i compleatly get rid of the partition so i have a 100% hdd on both computers?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You've done half the job already. First a few "ground rules" on extending partitions.

1. Most recent versions of Windows will allow you to EXTEND a partition - that is, to add to it some Unallocated Space - as long as that space is CONTIGUOUS with the existing Partition. That is, the Unallocated Space MUST be right AFTER the Partition - not somewhere else on the disk, and not before the Partition you want to extend.

2. The Unallocated Space to be added also must be contiguous - it cannot be in two blocks separated by some other Partition in between them. If that is the case, only the Unallocated Space right after the Partition will be added.

3. Up to and including Windows XP, Windows itself will NOT allow this operation on a Boot Partition, and will not allow it on the partition that has the paging file (usually located on the same disk as your OS). VISTA can do this operation. But it still might be advisable to temporarily get rid of the paging file, then re-establish it after the expansion is complete.

4. So, IF you are using Vista or Win 7, and IF the Unallocated Space you have created is right AFTER the boot Partition you want to extend, you're in good shape.

Here is the process for one drive. Apparently you already know how to get to Disk Management. Go there, then RIGHT-click on the existing main Partition. The resulting menu should give you the option to EXTEND that Partition into the Unallocated Space. Since you want all of your drive to be in that one partition, just set it to use up all the space.

If you get an error message that says anything about the paging file, here's how to get rid of it and re-establish later. Windows keeps this several layers down in menus to avoid having users change it by mistake. Windows WILL work without a paging file, but more slowly because this file is really important for memory management with large data files.

Click on Start ... Control Panel ... System, and choose the "Advanced" tab. In the first part, "Performance", click on the "Settings" button and choose the "Advanced" tab. Near the bottom under "Virtual Memory" click on the "Change" button. You will see your current settings. WRITE THESE DOWN so you can re-create them! Now choose the "No paging file" option and click OK. Windows will give you dire warnings but you can confirm your actions and back out of all these menus. You must REBOOT to make this happen. Now you have NO paging file and you can proceed to Extend your boot Partition.

When you have finished the extending and rebooted, go back into the Paging file setups (as above) and restore the original settings about where and how large it is, and whether it is custom or system-managed size. Hit OK, confirm your choices, back out and reboot. Your paging file should have been restored, and your disk Partitions should now be the way you want them.

NOTE: If you are working with Win XP or earlier, you cannot use Windows' tools to extend the Boot Partition. You CAN do this, however, using third-party Partition Management software. Usually you'd have to buy it, but there may be some freeware for this, too. Check out Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director, among others.

furious_cruzer

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
i did it in vista just by going into computer management and right click on the drive you want to delete and click delete volume, click yes (assuming you backed up the files on it) if it asks to force delete due to it (being in use) just click yes only cause you shouldent have anything running (programs) on it, then it will show unallocated space, go to C drive and right click and click expand volume, you will see a pop up, keep pressing next but make sure it is adding the space (should already be filled out) then click finish, your done, my terms might not be 100% right but i just did it as i was typing this message and it worked, no reboot or any other settings mumbo jumbo required, should see changes right away and be able to use new space right away as i am able to without any of the junk above, lol, good luck

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The 10% partition on the hp drive would have held the diag, support and likely copy of Windows for the computer. Perhaps the only copy of windows supplied. Can't believe support walked you thru doing this.

From what the more knowledgable folks above say, you need to tell what OS version you're using.