TV Tuner question

KiLo81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I own one, great card. There are some beta drivers for MCE that will allow you to view clear QAM. From what I have read the sound like a great big pain in the ass. Mediaportal is freeware that as of now is very stable and getting close to a final release. Mediaportal will for sure tune QAM, check it out. http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ Oh yeah if your not on cable then no need to worry about QAM.

KiLo81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
OK...It usually goes like this 1. NTSC=basic cable(analog) 2.ATSC=Fee to Air digital channels (usually local channels)and digital cable, encrypted channels which require that damn cable box to tune 3.QAM=Digital usually HD channels that come into your home via cable and are free and unencrypted..just to give u an idea a have my basic lineup channels (NTSC) and QAM channels (All locals, espn 1&2, A&E, TNT, and some others).

KiLo81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Yes it will..Like I stated earlier as far as QAM goes u have the choice of MCE with beta drivers or MediaPortal which I use with that card, takes a little time to setup but well worth it..Plus they have a awesome communty to help u..

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I have read somewhere that some tuners like to run in windows media center. Does the card come with software to run it or am I stuck using windows stuff? I also have XP PRO 64bit

KiLo81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Yeah it should come with Avermedia's software which is dodgy at best. If not u can download it at there site. They offer either AverTV which allows u to view and record TV. Also they have AverMEdiaCenter something or nuther which is just there idea of a media center. Ur gonna find that most tuner cards will come with some kind of software that usually will leave something to be desired.