First Build: $1000-1200 gaming PC Help please!

Hello everyone this gaming pc will be my very first build so I'm new at this, I plan on ordering the parts in a couple weeks.

I have a budget of about $1000-$1200 USD and that has to include an OS.

The only parts I have decided on are the case, CPU, GPU, and OS but everything else I'm not sure what to get.

Case: Antec 900 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

CPU: Intel Q6600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

GPU: BFG 8800GT 512mb OC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143117

OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116485

I'm not set on the other parts so I need some help with picking them out and staying in my budget. I do plan on overclocking my CPU so I'll need a motherboard that is good for that but I DO NOT plan on running SLI. I'll also be needing a wireless internet adapter but I'm not sure what's a good brand for those.

If you need to know any other info. just let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the help I get!
31 answers Last reply
More about first build 1000 1200 gaming please
  1. Unless you plan on doing a bunch of 3D editing/rendering etc you really do not need a quad core CPU. You could save some cash buy getting E7200 instead.

    With that said, have a look at this build:

    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E7200 or Q6600
    Motherboard: Asus P5E Intel X38 chipset
    RAM: G.Skill 2GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
    Hard Drive: 500GB WD SATA II
    Optical Drive: Lite-on SATA 20X burner w/ Nero
    Case:Antec 900
    Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
    OS: Vista Home Prem
    Input Device: MS Keyboard and Mouse
    Video Card: BFG 8800GT 512MB
    Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound
  2. Shadowduck posts a nice build, except maybe increase the RAM to 2X2 gigs instead of 2X1 gigs. I prefer the Samsung SATA DVD 20X burner as well - quieter.
  3. Thanks guys, could anyone recommend a Wireless Internet Adapter? Also, would it be worth it to upgrade to the 8800GTS 512mb or would that go over my budget? And is this the Mobo you recommended http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131219 ?
  4. Cabling isn't a option? That is always best.

    Modode- you go for that question. I am always wired.

    GTS will marginally increase performance, not really worth the extra cash.
  5. Go wired ethernet for your internet access if at all possible - it's so much faster than any wireless it's sick.

    If you really want a wireless card, I'd go with a reputable company and a card that's relatively cheap and well reviewed on newegg, like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124115

    That is, unless you have a wireless router that supports 802.11n (unlikely), then go with a compatible card for faster speeds.
  6. Ok thanks a lot guys. I have another question though, do I need a heatsink(I think that's what it's called) for my CPU if I'm going to OC it?
  7. Yes, you will want to buy a new HS/F for your CPU if you want to OC. Stock HS/F is pretty much crap.
  8. efx92 said:
    Ok thanks a lot guys. I have another question though, do I need a heatsink(I think that's what it's called) for my CPU if I'm going to OC it?


    With the Q6600, I would say yes. Here's two that are very cost effective - I've used the AC Cooler Pro 7 and it's very easy to install and quite effective. The second one is in transit to me currently via UPS for a higher end build that I plan to aggressively oc.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
  9. Look at Gigabyte X38 boards. You can get one for $199 that cuts a little out.
    Dual core is more than acceptable now. E7200 and overclock it. Don't really need quad unless you are doing video/3d work right now.
  10. shadowduck said:
    Look at Gigabyte X38 boards. You can get one for $199 that cuts a little out.
    Dual core is more than acceptable now. E7200 and overclock it. Don't really need quad unless you are doing video/3d work right now.

    Yeah, I was thinking about dual core but I read somewhere that games are going to start taking advantage of quad cores soon and I want this system to be somewhat future proof.
  11. Games don't even take advantage of dual core yet. Assassin's Creed is the first game to require a dual core (2008 release) and even it can run on a single core machine with some mods.

    Games wont be using quad cores for a long time.
  12. shadowduck said:
    Games don't even take advantage of dual core yet. Assassin's Creed is the first game to require a dual core (2008 release) and even it can run on a single core machine with some mods.

    Games wont be using quad cores for a long time.

    Hmm, ok I'll consider it then.
  13. Oh, I just thought of something, If I'm getting 32 bit Vista I can't have 4GB of RAM can I?
  14. You can have that much memory, it just won't utilize it.
  15. if this is true, why do I read posts about people with quad cores running games like crysis/supreme commander/FS X saying that they are getting usage from all 4 cores?

    Not trying to start an argument, just looking for the reasons...
  16. shadowduck said:
    Games don't even take advantage of dual core yet. Assassin's Creed is the first game to require a dual core (2008 release) and even it can run on a single core machine with some mods.

    Games wont be using quad cores for a long time.


    I would disagree with this statement. Games such as Supreme Commander and World in Conflict benefit greatly from quad core vs dual core. I'm willing to bet a good chunck of money that future games such as Empire: Total War, Spore, Far Cry 2, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Starcraft 2, and many more will benefit from quad core in the near future. By this time next year, I think that a majority of new titles will take advantage of multiple cores.

    From what I see in the CPU market right now, switching from a dual core to a quad core is not that big of a jump in cash; a Q6600 is only $220 anyway. If you want your rig to survive and thrive for a couple of years with minimal upgrading, I'd suggest building with a Q6600. That's what I'll be doing in a couple of weeks and my budget is $800 to $900.
  17. you can buy a E8400 for 199.00 oc it on a p35 MoBo to 4.0 with out a hick up and 8 GHZ and 6mb of cashe will handle games for years to come and out preforms the Q6600 right now in most Benchies then why not have the best now? <smiles>
  18. houstonserenity said:
    you can buy a E8400 for 199.00 oc it on a p35 MoBo to 4.0 with out a hick up and 8 GHZ and 6mb of cashe will handle games for years to come and out preforms the Q6600 right now in most Benchies then why not have the best now? <smiles>

    Yeah, that's true, but I still haven't decided yet.
  19. when do you need this Rig built? Nalem is coming out at the end of the year
    so that should make some good buys for the then out dated 775 platform

    In my opinion the most performance comes from the graphics card then CPU and last memory if you are good at over clocking a Q6600
    And P38 is the way to go .If your like me oc some but don’t take it to the extreme then a E8400 P35 and a 9800gtx will serve you much better
  20. houstonserenity said:
    when do you need this Rig built? Nalem is coming out at the end of the year
    so that should make some good buys for the then out dated 775 platform

    In my opinion the most performance comes from the graphics card then CPU and last memory if you are good at over clocking a Q6600
    And P38 is the way to go .If your like me oc some but don’t take it to the extreme then a E8400 P35 and a 9800gtx will serve you much better

    Well, this will be my very first build and also my first overclock so I'm not going to go excessive on the OCing and I'm looking to have it built within the next month but hopefully sooner.
  21. I have to disagree with the Antec 900 Case after building some new systems...the twelve-hundred is much better and in my opinion a tower is always a better investment.

    Better cooling, more room, better cable management, and your fans can actually move the air around rather than cool lots of cables!

    Antec 1200 or the P190 if you have the cash!
  22. houstonserenity said:
    you can buy a E8400 for 199.00 oc it on a p35 MoBo to 4.0 with out a hick up and 8 GHZ and 6mb of cashe will handle games for years to come and out preforms the Q6600 right now in most Benchies then why not have the best now? <smiles>

    >_<

    So using that logic, a Q6600 at stock is better than an E8400 OCed to 4ghz, because OMG 2.4ghz x 4 cores = 9.6ghz while an E8400 @ 4ghz x2 = 8ghz??

    I thought most people understood that this is not the case...
    D'oh!
  23. Get a P35 mobo...unless there is just a reason you ahve to have an X38


    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086
    $119.99

    ASRock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+ LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157121
    $129.99

    This board comes with wi-fi, firewire, DDR2/DDR3, 2 PCI-E slots (16x,4x)
  24. wormy said:
    Get a P35 mobo...unless there is just a reason you ahve to have an X38


    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086
    $119.99

    ASRock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+ LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157121
    $129.99

    This board comes with wi-fi, firewire, DDR2/DDR3, 2 PCI-E slots (16x,4x)

    What's the difference between the PCI-E 2.0 and the normal PCI-E? And is built in WiFi good enough?
  25. bornking said:
    I have to disagree with the Antec 900 Case after building some new systems...the twelve-hundred is much better and in my opinion a tower is always a better investment.

    Better cooling, more room, better cable management, and your fans can actually move the air around rather than cool lots of cables!

    Antec 1200 or the P190 if you have the cash!

    What about this case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133062
  26. Also I downgraded to 2GB of RAM because I'm getting 32-bit Vista so I got this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590 but I want a little more RAM and I think 32-bit can hold 3GB so will it work if I add one stick of this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145153
  27. Bump, still need these questions answered please :)
  28. Why do you have to use 32bit?
  29. Oh Snap said:
    Why do you have to use 32bit?

    Well, I don't HAVE to but I read that there were still problems with 64bit Vista, if that's not true then I guess I could use it.
  30. Ok, so I have decided that I don't want to OC the CPU until my system gets older, so, will the stock CPU fan be sufficient or should i still buy the separate heatsink if I'm not going to overclock?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product