Your question
Solved

Cloning a hdd

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2009 9:32:40 PM

upgrading a hdd from 160 to 320g in a t61. how to clone the hdd?

More about : cloning hdd

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 9, 2009 9:52:58 PM

Acronis True Image . . . and then you have backup software, too.
September 10, 2009 3:16:52 AM

Ok. Do I have to purchase it or the free demo one would be ok for doing the task?
What about backup software?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 10, 2009 3:36:44 AM

That package does it all via compressed drive images.

If all your work/need is done in 30 days . . . the demo works.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
September 10, 2009 3:54:17 AM

jimicardona said:
Ok. Do I have to purchase it or the free demo one would be ok for doing the task?
What about backup software?

The free demo will do the job. It is a fully functional program with a time limit. They hope you will like it and buy the product. It is a good package, and worth the price.
m
l
September 10, 2009 11:58:42 AM

Thank you!
m
l
a c 363 G Storage
September 10, 2009 2:37:56 PM

Another source of the software MAY be the hard disk manufacturer. Both Seagate and WD have available on their websites free downloads of customized version of Acronis True Image. Among other limits, each will only make a clone TO a dive made by that supplier. For example, WD's Acronis True Image WD Edition will make a clone ONLY to a WD HDD unit - they don't care whose old drive you are replacing. So if your new drive comes from one of these, or if your drive maker has a similar free utility, get it from their website.

In making the clone, pay attention to the options. One important one is that most will let you make the clone BIGGER that your original drive - up to the full capacity of the new drive - because that is by far the most popular use of these tools.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 10, 2009 5:28:19 PM

+1^ for the info on the HD mfgs.
m
l
September 10, 2009 10:11:28 PM

The Acronis worked great for me from West Dig.

I cloned a Maxtor 80GB to my new WD 1TB - but to only a 60GB partition. Handled it fine.

It does leave some startup files in the registry, I removed them immediately after booting a couple times.
m
l
September 10, 2009 11:49:17 PM

Drive image XML is a free cloneing program... really easy to use.
m
l
!