Sign in with
Your question

MySATA External Hardrive

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2009 11:43:37 PM

I have a huge problem, I recently formatted a SATA external hard drive to my computer so I could restore the computer. Now I have a problem because the computer no longer reads the hard drive and I have pictures that cannot be replaced on the drive. It wants to reformat the drive which would result in my loss of the pictures, What do I do?
September 10, 2009 1:31:37 AM

Have you tried using ur ext hdd on a different pc/notebook to retrieve the pictures?
September 17, 2009 12:51:09 AM

yes I have tried to do that, but nothing so far. I even had a friend help me. We put it in the freezer and all to try and free the arm, but that didnt work either. I am almost losing hope to it being fixed.
Related resources
September 19, 2009 10:15:24 AM

Could you tell us why the drive was put in a freezer? Was the external hard drive dropped?
September 20, 2009 1:22:48 PM

It's an old trick to unstick HDD heads, I'm suprised he knows about it.

You need like 5 to 10 plastic bags to do it, and condensation *can* make it worse (vs better).

Try removing the HDD from the external casing, and installing it in a machine, then use the manufacturer suppplied utilities to confirm the drive is OK and do an UNFORMAT.
September 26, 2009 12:58:58 AM

foxy_roxy said:
Could you tell us why the drive was put in a freezer? Was the external hard drive dropped?

No it wasnt dropped, My friend had experience in the problem and that was what they had done and it got the hard drive to work for that person he had helped before, but it did not work for mine. This hard drive has NEVER been dropped. I was very careful about that since i knew someone that had dropped theirs and it no longer works. Mine just seems to be a fluke. I put it straight back in the box after I put my pictures etc on it and didnt reopen the box until I was ready to put the info back on my computer. I paid about 50 bucks for the thing and it was new, I cannot believe I have barely had it a month and this happened.
September 26, 2009 1:06:09 AM

Scott2009 said:
It's an old trick to unstick HDD heads, I'm suprised he knows about it.

You need like 5 to 10 plastic bags to do it, and condensation *can* make it worse (vs better).

Try removing the HDD from the external casing, and installing it in a machine, then use the manufacturer suppplied utilities to confirm the drive is OK and do an UNFORMAT.

I am not sure what you mean by installing it in a machine. What type of a machine are you talking about, another computer? Also how do you get the maufacturer supplied utilities? They didnt send anything with the drive that would help recover it. What is a unformat. Sorry I dont know alot about computer, but I make my way through. My friend does indeed know alot about computers, He works at the university here, but even he was baffled by what would've cause the issue.
October 7, 2009 2:52:06 PM

Actually eSATA should look 'local' to the controller anyway - my bad.

What brand / model is it ?
!