spikekeke

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
here's the senario

2003 - (about) MSI mother board -> turned that into a junker PC for tedious tasks or something, extra storage, over night downloading (main pc is too bright)

2005 - I got an asus mother board -> main pc until a month ago when the future board on it fried. but the main board is fine.

now I'm using another MSI motherboard.

anyway, I decided to switch the original motherboard (2003 msi board) with the asus one, so it could actually be a pretty good junker computer, able to play medium level games decently, even though I wont use it for games but what ever.

the problem: I switched the motherboards, everything is plugged in correctly, but while booting it doesn't do anything useful. once it passes post it tries to boot, but it fails, as it should. but it doesn't even try to boot from the CD.

but the real problem, is that it doesn't see the hard drives at all ( 2 hard drives). I know both work properly, they've been used before. the hard drives do have things on them, but they don't have an installed OS.

any tips on what to do from here? I really don't have many ideas.

sounds like you didn't clear the cmos. did you?
unplug everything you can from the board and see if you can get it to post.

don't quite call that board a junkie - my old nf7 still works great!

Agree. I have an old AMD Barton core/FX5700 that's my workhorse machine. It just keeps running - works fine for internet and office apps.

spikekeke

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
well, I did take out the battery, but didn't clear using the jumpers. guess that's my next task. but in any case, the hard drives aren't being noticed (an IDE cd drives being noticed, though).