Which setup is better?

njven

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Assuming all these RAM modules have the exact same frequency, CL, manufactuer, everything aspect but size is the same, even price. Which of these setups would have the best performance in a standard 4 DIMM MB that eil NEVER be upgraded.

4 x 512MB
2 x 1G
1 x 2G

Even the most minute performance difference. Remember, these will never be upgraded, and every aspect but size is the same?

(Just wanted to know if there was any difference)

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
At stock, I'd say 4x512 because of dual channel, but if you are OCing 2x1 may OC higher (due to less sticks).

Anyway, the percived performance will be almost the same in all three scenarios.

Zenthar

Distinguished
1x2GB is out due to dual-channel.

Between 2x1GB and 4x512MB, I think the 4x512MB would be slightly faster, but by no discernible margin simply because access time tends to be better on smaller memory DIMMs. If someone was to overclock, then the 2x1GB would have better chances of reaching higher clock speed because fewer DIMMs consume less power, but also because, statistically, with more DIMMs you have more chances of having a DIMM holding you back.

Practically speaking, I think keeping room for future upgrades beats the gain from using 4 DIMMs over 2 DIMMs. Moreover, bigger modules tend to be more resealable in the end.