can a bad cpu cause ram errors

jmcross3

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
can a bad cpu (amd x2 5000 black, no overclocking at the moment) cause ram errors? What about a PSU?

I am getting tons of ram errors with memtest 86. I replaced the ram and I am getting the same thing. I also replaced the motherboard.

sometimes it will hang up during bios post. I have updated the bios, and tried unplugging everything I possibly can. Same problem.

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, yes, and yes. However, the most common cause these days, by far, is people buying RAM spec'd at a higher-than-standard voltage. The DDR2 voltage spec is 1.8V +/- 0.1V. Much so-called "performance" RAM these days is just overclocked RAM run at a higher-than-standard voltage. This sometimes produces errors when run under default "auto" settings, which do not adjust voltage.
1) First, figure out the spec voltage for each of your DIMMs. This is often printed on the DIMM, but you may have to contact the manufacturer to find out. If there is a range of voltages, use the highest value.
2) Install just 1 DIMM in your system. Go into the BIOS and set the DIMM/RAM voltage to the spec voltage for that module. Save your changes and reboot. Then, run memtest86+. Repeat this for each of your modules. If they all pass, then try two at a time. If you have 4 DIMMs total that work individually but not all together, that's a separate issue.

jmcross3

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
thanks for the reply.

I have tried just 1 DIMM, with the same results. All was at the spec'd voltage and timing. I even tried playing around with ram voltage a little, all with the same results.

somtimes in the middle of memtest it reboots all by itself.

could the power supply have anything to do with it?

MaXStaR

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
The PSU might cause it if it's overloaded or supplying incorrect/dirty power (it's dying), but that's unlikely.

AMD CPU's have the Memory controller built in, so if the issue is not the RAM or the Board, the situation is pointing toward a bad CPU.

And updating the BIOS when you have RAM problems? Bad Idea.

jmcross3

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008

I have an Antec Earthwatts EA 500.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
They are normally fairly good, its unlikely that it is the problem unless it is failing, have you tried another power supply to verify the one you have? It is possible that the CPU is defective, so that is your other option of course.