Motherboard doesnt recognize RAM?

Jamin

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I am building a new system with my friends and we have encountered some problems, I was hoping you all could help. We have installed the RAM, motherboard, hard drive, CPU, video card, and jumpers. When we press the power button power goes to the system, the fans spin up and the motherboards lights come on as do the lights on the video card. But nothing appears on the monitor.

The motherboard has 2 LEDs that can be used for troubleshooting. When the power is on, LED1 lights up, LED2 does not light up. According to the manual this indicates a "memory error". We tried reseating the RAM, moving it to different slots, and trying only one stick, but none of this helped.

We reset the CMOS as the motherboards manual said, this did not help.

We also tried changing hardrives, and we still get this error.

I am not sure where to go from here. My guess is that the RAM is not compatible with the motherboard for some reason.

Specs

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TForce TP45D2-A7
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Though I'm pretty sure it's the RAM, or motherboard.)

Do you think the motherboard may simply be incompatible with the RAM, or the RAM was dead on arrival? Hopefully we overlooked something and you guys would know best.

Thanks in advance! =)

ibp_john

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
You wouldn't happen to have any spare DDR2-800 laying around to test it out do you?
Or another system to put the memory in?

Mondoman

Splendid
Check your RAM to see if it's a factory-overclocked model. If so, the spec voltage for it will be higher than 1.9V. Such RAM often has trouble booting at the standard DDR2 1.8V. If you can't get it to boot with just one DIMM installed (and try different slots too), contact G.Skill for tech support.