Timings problem, and I'm stumped -.-

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
First things first... I have a P5KC, a Q6600, and 8 GB of OCZ Platinum 800 MHz RAM.

I've been tweaking my clock speeds and for some reason every time I bring the timings of my RAM down my board refuses to post. I've also noticed the same thing happens if I try to overclock the RAM to 1066 MHz, when set to auto timings. I have a feeling that last part is because the RAM doesn't have values for 533 on its timings table in CPU-Z.

I'm running the RAM at 667 MHz (1:1 with my CPU's overclocked FSB of 333), and it's running at the auto timings of 4-5-5-13 at 1.8V.

Ideally I want to bring the timings down to somewhere around 3-3-3-9, but one step at a time.

I've tried the 266 MHz timing values of 3-4-4-10 with no joy. Even loosening the timings to the 400 MHz values of 5-5-5-15 resulted in a blank screen and no happy little beep to tell you everything's all right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure I had custom timings on my old 2 GB of Corsair RAM... and it's not a memory problem, memtest gave every stick a clean bill of health.

Mondoman

Splendid
Sounds like you reached the limits of your RAM. OCZ RAM is mostly just lower-quality stuff overclocked by the factory anyway. To check if this is the case, look for the voltage spec (often printed on the DIMMs, but you may have to contact OCZ for the info). They only guarantee the RAM to work at the advertised timings if you set the RAM voltage to that overclocked voltage, not at the standard 1.8V.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I know that OCZ warranty allows me to go up to 2.2V but that doesn't help much :/

Oh well, guess I'll have to try a little more juice... doesn't matter too much since I'll be upgrading to an X58 board 2-3 months after they're finally out (bring on a GA-X58-DQ6!)