Sign in with
Your question

Please help...I've a big problem on my hands....

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2008 9:46:01 AM

This is a homebuilt system i've been upgrading since spring of 07. Something is very wrong here. I left my pc on last night because i fell asleep w/o turning it off. i woke up in the morning to find it turned off, and so i turned it on again so I could work on some homework of mine. There was no response from the computer except a weird noise coming from the PSU, and i'm beginning to worry my PSU just overloaded and fried my system. It's a BFG 800W. Does anyone know what i should do about this?

Specs:

core 2 quad q6600 (with GO stepping)
4 GB RAM 667 mhz
EVGA 8800GTS 512mb
asus p5n-e sli

More about : big problem hands

May 29, 2008 9:56:53 AM

Get a new PSU? :-/

I think it's obvious that your PSU died. So, for sure you'll need a new one. Get a PSU and plug 'er in. Then decide if you have to replace anything else ;)  I wouldn't suggest getting another BFG PSU. Try a Tier-1 like PC Power & Cooling.
May 29, 2008 10:04:46 AM

its a matter of being 15 and strapped for cash, my dear friend. is there anyway to do it without the trial and error method of getting a new one?
Related resources
May 29, 2008 4:31:34 PM

^ Good advice...

Also you could bring over one of your friend's PSU and hook it up to your system and see if it works. If it does work buy a new PSU.
May 29, 2008 8:32:57 PM

So i tried another psu, this one has a lower wattage of like 350 or 400, but i only plugged it into my mobo and cpu. the mobo gave one continuous beep. any advice?
May 29, 2008 10:15:41 PM

anyone?
May 30, 2008 2:29:20 AM

Look up in your motherboard manual, under troubleshooting for Asus mobos...
There should be a table/list of what each of the beeps mean. I have an odd feeling its a power failure beep.

Try clearing your CMOS (by either taking out the cell or using the jumper) and rebooting, if the beep continues remove everything but your CPU, 1 stick of RAM and your video card.
!