Sign in with
Your question

E8400 Heat Issues

Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2008 2:02:05 AM

Just bought an Asus P5N-D 750i, and an E8400. Set everything up, checked my temperature and my CPU is at 55-60*C. I installed CoreTemp and ran that and it reads at around 50*C as well. I opened up the case, checked to see that my Heat-Sink and Fan are sitting properly, and everything is fine. Surely this is not the normal temperature? Should it not be 30-40?

More about : e8400 heat issues

July 10, 2008 2:10:13 AM

Have you installed CPU thermal grease?

Also, if you installed thermal grease; and unseated the heatsink/fan you will need to apply new thermal grease.

If you are using an intel stock cooler, 45-50 degrees wouldn't be totally unusual - I would check your CPU voltage in your bios just in case it is running too high. CPU-z can tell you your voltage as well - but it doesn't hurt to be double sure.

I'm running an e8400 at 4.05ghz at 3.7 vcore and my cpu idles at 39 degrees with a zalman 9700 cooler. The intel stock cooler should still keep you in the 40s though on a stock clocked cpu.
July 10, 2008 2:19:14 AM

Likely the stock Intel CPU cooler is not-quite fully seated. It needs to be installed with the MB *outside* of the case, so you can support the back of the MB with your fingers as you push through each pin completely. See this post for more details: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assemb...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 10, 2008 4:19:14 AM

That's what I did. I seated the Heatsink and Fan before I secured my mobo to the chasis.

About the thermal paste, shouldn't it already be there on the heatsink? I didn't really look for it. Maybe there is some kind of cover on it that I had to remove before applying it to the CPU? I don't want to pull away my heat-sink and look because well, then I'd have to go out and buy new paste if everything was fine.

ovaltineplease, what should my voltage be for the CPU?
July 10, 2008 6:42:04 AM

You also have to make sure each plastic pin is turned completely in the direction *opposite* the arrow on top before you push it down, otherwise it won't seat properly. 50-60 degrees C is way too hot for an idle e8400 at stock speed, so something isn't right. Perhaps you're not getting good case ventilation -- if the air inside the computer is hot, the CPU cooler won't be able to cool the CPU any cooler than that hot air. You can test this by running the computer with the side panel open/taken off.
Yes, thermal paste should have come pre-applied to the stock CPU cooler. Sometimes there is a clear plastic film covering it, which would need to be removed before cooler installation, but I don't remember any such film on Intel stock coolers.
Don't worry about your voltage, unless you changed the "auto" setting in the BIOS.
July 10, 2008 6:46:41 AM

Well, even with the side of my case off, the temperature is still the same. I am going to buy some chasis fans and place them and get some proper ventilation going and see what that does. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'll take off the heatsink and see what the deal with the thermal paste is. Maybe there is a film on it after all.
July 10, 2008 7:29:16 AM

If your idle core temps are 50-60c then your HS isn't correctly seated, whether you think it is or not. Check it again. If you can't get the temps down then spend the cash to get an aftermarket HS with a back plate, assuming you care that is.
July 10, 2008 8:01:03 AM

Okay, I've just opened everything up again, unscrewed the mobo from the case, looked at the back and noticed that some of the pins weren't all the way in. Spent about an hour trying to push them in, and they have indeed went in further. However now that I've closed everything up again, the temperature is still same =(. Must be the ventilation in my case, I guess.
July 10, 2008 9:10:30 AM

I had the same issue until i bought a OCZ vendetta.My temps are at 25*C idle at stock.And that with a ambient temp of 25*C.Under load it never goes over 38*C.
And also use real temp not core temp.
July 10, 2008 11:30:04 AM

The stock heatsink does have a plastic square convering the thermal pad. If you never removed this pad then it's going to increase temps drastically. I would take the chance and unseat the heatsink... running with a messed up thermal pad is much much better than running with a strip of plastic between the heatsink and cpu.
July 10, 2008 2:42:10 PM

Yetyhunter is right. I have done some research on this. I have a Zalman cooler on mine and the CPU temperature is usually down in the mid to high 30's but the core temperature is around 50. There are other posts in this forum and I even called Intel to confirm. Don't go by core temperature. Go by CPU temperature. There is a lot of talk that the core temperature sensors in the Wolfdale processors is faulty. Also, the max CPU temp for these processors is in the low 70s (Celsius of course).
July 10, 2008 3:54:17 PM

Hm, using Real Temp and with the calibration for the E8400, my core temps are showing as 35-38, and maximums as 45-47.

So which one is correct then? Is what my BIOS and CoreTemp show incorrect? And Real Temp is correct?

Szwaba67, how do you know that there is a covering on the paste? I just called my store and they said that there shouldn't be any covering. The only thing they suggested other than buying some case fans is to update the BIOS, saying that "with new CPUs, you should update the BIOS to fix some of the problems".
July 10, 2008 4:07:34 PM

I use realtemp to measure my temperatures.
July 10, 2008 5:36:39 PM

guitarxe said:
Hm, using Real Temp and with the calibration for the E8400, my core temps are showing as 35-38, and maximums as 45-47.

So which one is correct then? Is what my BIOS and CoreTemp show incorrect? And Real Temp is correct?

Szwaba67, how do you know that there is a covering on the paste? I just called my store and they said that there shouldn't be any covering. The only thing they suggested other than buying some case fans is to update the BIOS, saying that "with new CPUs, you should update the BIOS to fix some of the problems".
35-38 is fine for idle on that CPU, given the idle temp discrepancies. mikeynavy1976 is right some e8400s have problems with idle core temps, I didn't think they were showing 50-60c idle though. Really what you need to do is run Prime95 and keep a close eye on the load temps, those should be correct.

I believe that the BIOS is showing Tcase. I would use Real Temp over Core Temp.
July 10, 2008 7:38:11 PM

guitarxe said:
... Is what my BIOS and CoreTemp show incorrect? And Real Temp is correct?

BIOS temp:
The BIOS has a table of values that it uses to convert the thermistor data from the CPU into temps. Thus, if you haven't updated your BIOS to one that includes that table for your CPU model, you could be getting a wrong temp reading in the BIOS. In addition, the updated BIOS may contain "microcode" updates for the CPU, which correct minor defects in the CPU's design.
CoreTemp:
This should give correct temps near the high end, as long as the Tmax value is set correctly. Down near "normal" idle temps, it can be off, especially for the newer 45nm CPUs.
RealTemp:
This should give correct temps near the high end, and also includes a "fudge factor" to try to improve the readout of temps at the low end.

Thus, I'd trust RealTemp the most.

July 10, 2008 11:19:32 PM

Alright, I installed a case fan in the back, closed everything up, ran it for some time and RealTemp shows it at 34-37 idle, so I guess everything is fine now.

Thank you everyone for your help, I greatly appreciate it.
!