Sign in with
Your question

Intel quad q9550 running lower than factory default

Last response: in Overclocking
April 3, 2009 1:51:59 PM

I'm using a quad core q9550 that should run @ 2.83Ghz (333MHz x 8.5) but when I run CPU-Z it only runs at 2.0GHz (333MHz x 6)

so I go to bios and manually set the multiplier to 8.5 then save and exit but then again when I check CPU-Z its still the same?!?

anyone have an idea how can I set it to 2.83GHz the default factory speed and are there any other program besides CPU-Z I could use?

edit:

ok I set multiplier to auto (w/c i assume is x6) then set FSB to 400 MHz save and exit. I check CPU-Z and now its 2.4GHz (400MHz x 6) so my problem now is how do I manually set the multiplier to x8.5 or how to run q9550 like it should.

oh I test my current setting on benchmark and it greatly improved (far cry 2) so most likely what CPU-Z shows is accurate.

specs:
asus p5k
4gb ddr2 800
4870x2
xp 32bit
intel core quad q9550
April 3, 2009 2:07:19 PM

Disable Speedstep (aka EIST) & C1E then retest....

Speedstep & C1E are energy saving systems that automatically reduce the CPU multiplier when the CPU isn't under load. When they are enabled, the CPU multiplier will automatically increase to whatever the BIOS setting when the CPU load requirement goes up.
April 3, 2009 2:14:33 PM

Fruity said:
Disable Speedstep (aka EIST) & C1E then retest....

Speedstep & C1E are energy saving systems that automatically reduce the CPU multiplier when the CPU isn't under load. When they are enabled, the CPU multiplier will automatically increase to whatever the BIOS setting when the CPU load requirement goes up.

oh ok I'll try that thanks
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2009 10:34:52 PM

Don't disable Speedstep and C1E. They are the reason yours is running slowly, but it saves power and reduces heat, which is good. If you run something that requires CPU power, it will automatically increase the speed. Try running Prime95 while CPUz is open (with Speedstep and C1E enabled and multiplier on auto) and you should see the speed jump up to full rated speed.
April 4, 2009 3:21:05 AM

If we were on a green planet we wouldnt have computers or rockets.
!