9800 GTX+?

Ketchup_rulez

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
WTF is Nvidia doing? As it stands, the 9800GTX is not far behind the much more expensive GTX260 (the difference being only a few fps at most resolutions and games). With this 9800GTX+, the 9800 could be better /on par with the GTX260. We know that Nvidia can't lower the 260 price to anywhere near the 9800 price of $220 (lowest price) so who now, will buy a 260? I think Nvidia have gone mad...

yetyhunter

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
They will not realese a 9800GTX+ they will just realese some new driver for this card and all the other G92 cards that will increase performance.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
IF they can do that to the 9800GTX through drivers then I would suspect they can do the same for the 260/280. I dont know why they would even consider the 9800GTX over their newer cards...they have to understand the general stand that the community has on the 260/280. If they managed to do some sort of huge improvement through the drivers for the newer cards, and lowered the price to $550 or so on the 280 and leave the 260 at 400 would make them sell quite well imo.

Also, we will need some good after market coolers because the only thing that is deterring me from buying those cards now is how incredibly loud they are suppose to be. Idk...we will see what happen, but it kinda sounds like "fud" to me.

Best,

3Ball

swiftpulse

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
"If we see some big improvements that will clearly mean that Nvidia was holding some performance potential back and that it was waiting for the new ATI card. "
FUD

Or it can mean that they are going to lower the quality or cheat, that wouldn't be the first time either.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
They misspelled drivers wrong. "drives." Seems possible, drivers improve fps a bit, newest drivers game me 10% more fps in coh dx10. went from 27-30fps about. updating the game also helped.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
it looks like the "aging" G92 cores still have alot in them. once again Nvidia shows some very good marketing ability in their company. driver is everything!!!!no driver no work.

so you guys still think the GTX 280 is all it can do now? just to give you a hint, currently Nvidia have no plan for a GX2 of the GT200 core.

Swiftpulse sitll picking on that point everytime Nvidia improve its fps performance. PLUS if you turn AA/AF on and on any game at 1920 will you do a screen shot and then zoom in and say "AH!THIS GRASS IS BLURRED AND GOT TINY LITTLE ZIGZAGGY GOING ON!! the answer is?NO!

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
one thing that pisses me off we all bought these cards with our hard earned money! and we didnt get our values worth they are sitting there with a driver to increase performance alot and they were waiting if any competition came if not no upgrades for us. shame on nvidia. i no some of u will disagree but thats how i see it.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006

QFT

Typical.
No one twisted your arm and made you spend your money. You did it all by yourself, based on your own judgement. That is why I always say never, ever, under any circumstances buy brand new hardware unless you are willing to pay more than it's worth, and be a guinea pig for 6 months.
But hey, you can proudly boast to everyone that you own the latest and greatest. Ha Ha, have fun.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
i no i wanted to buy the card on my own. im just saying y couldnt we get the full potential for the card rather then wait to see if nvidia feels threathend then they release a update to improve the cards. they should have offered the update before and not when feeling threatened.

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
They were probably planning to release a "whole new card" that is basically the same as 9800 GTX but with these new driver improvements to milk the chip further, but after panicing about the 4000 series cards soon to be released, they released their "ace" 260/280 instead and are now trying to up the performance of the old high end so that it is competitive with the mid range 4850.

I for one don't see the problem. I was happy to pay for the performance I got, and if this new driver rumor is true I'll be getting even more for my money! :D

Waspy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2005
Sweet, I hope this is true!

I've been swiveling all over in my head on what to buy for a GPU for my new build. I'm going to be running a 24" LCD.

GTX280 too expensive, and it won't be "worth it" until the die shrink, if ever.

GTX260, not TOO bad...but again, a die shrink would make this pretty sweet.

9800GX2...why would I ever buy this? Can't you get 2x 9800GTX for about the same price, except they are better? Cooler, easier to over clock, etc. etc.

2x 9800GTX...OK not bad, high-end cards. I don't plan on immediately going to Vista...Vista sucks...so these two will dominate all DX9 stuff out there I'm pretty sure.

2x 8800GTS G92...pretty good too, but I'm feeling like these guys are kind of "falling off the table" from all the badass new stuff from nVidia. I guess, hopefully with the new stuff it'll drive the 9800GTX prices down to make the 9800GTXes the obvious kings.

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
lol What the hell are they thinking? The current 9800 GTX can already clock higher than that without breaking a sweat! This is either a mistake on the part of TweakTown or Nvidia has completely lost it.

hannibal

Distinguished
the 9800GTX+ is 55 shrink of normal 9800GTX... fastes, cheaper, use less power... It's better for Nvidia to sell a lot of cards that produce some profit (like 9800GTX+) than cards that are too expensive to produce for mass market (260, 280)...

The new 9800GTX+ beats ati 4850 easily enough... Those 260, and 280 are for those who really have money, and want the fastest without compromises. So actually this is very nasty trick from Nvidia. When everyone thought that atis 4000 series is going to beat crap out of the 200 series, Nvidia selease real competitor to new middle range!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
oh please!stop those stupid number games will you?

im sure the 9800GTX+ will hurt the sales of both AMD offering and their own GT200 cards as the price/performance will increase so will the SLI perfomance , since the current card offer better price/performance.

those people who moan about the things that they get, well did you get what you want? did you get the smooth game play you hoping for?if ti did then why are you moaning?

once again prove my point that business is not charity they want money not how we feel as consumers.any arguement to that?