32 bit software vs 64bit processor

tomshardwareda

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
hi
can i still use my old programs, say Photoshop CS2 that's suited more for a 32 bit system on a new 64bit processor and motherboard?

i have read that older software may not work properly or simply fail to work on newer systems.

i'm also thinking of using WindowsXP Home 32bit alongside Windows7 on the same machine's different partitions (forget about Vista!) can it be done: WinXP 32bit on a 64bit machine?

i also know that certain new items work only with Windows7, which is ok, but i'd rather like to have WinXP Home 32bit run on the same new 64bit machine too.

thanks.

32 bit software runs just fine on windows 7 64. It's your hardware drivers which must be designed and released to support 64 bit OS's you should be concerned about.. For example an old printer released before Vista likely will not have have Vista/Win 7 64 drivers and will have to be repalced if using Win7 64. No need to dual boot Win 7 64 and XP. Win 7 will run the 32 bit apps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

Win 7 64 Pro and Ultimate support XP virtual machine. XP can be installed in Win 7 64 and run as a virtual machine from within windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

You're welcome. The release of Vista 64 some 3+ years ago solidified Windows 64 bit OS's being mainstream offered on retailers shelves everywhere. That wasn't the case with Windows XP 64 which never became mainstream. Windows 7 64 is very solid. I run and maintain many troublefree Windows 7 64 machines. Old hardware with outdated non-64 bit drivers available will be the main isasue as far as compatibility. Old printers, wireless cards, PCI cards etc. Some popular softwares will requires later version releases that support 64 bit. Pinnacle Studios for example. Older versions will not run on 64 bit OS.

tomshardwareda

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

thx again badge for more detailed info on this ... no offense to you personally of course, but i may / dare say that Micro$oft is certainly in it with other hardware manufacturers to sell people more new hardware if the latter have to switch to Windows 7, 64bit? ;-) of course i know there is a Win7, 32bit version available out there too. is there going to be such hardware (driver) issues with the Windows 7-32bit too?