Screen refresh rate

grizz86

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
hey guys.

I got this lovely benq 19" widescreen lcd monitor. The question is, whats the different using 60hz and 75hz. All I can see is when using 75hz the visual kind of blur while using 60hz visul become sharp. Yeah I know I've been using 3 monitors already :kaola: but still dont know what the comparison of them or benefits when using them at higher fresh rate.

thanks

4745454b

Titan
For an LCD, there isn't much difference at all. LCDs update pixels, not screens. For a CRT, its a bit of a different matter. The refresh rate basically dictates how many frame you can see. If you have Vsync enabled, and have your refresh rate set at 60Hz, you will only see 60FPS. It doesn't matter if your computer can generate 150FPS, you will only see 60 of them.

halcyon

Splendid
Refresh rate, AFAIK, doesn't affect LCD's the same as it did for CRTs. In the old days, 60Hz was THE refresh rate you wanted for an LCD. It's still the golden number for many LCDs, hence why the image looks sharper at that rate. For some LCD's you'll not notice much difference between 60Hz, and 85Hz, for others it will be quite discernible.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Well what do you want? Good visuals or blur? LCD's are made for 60hz I believe, and 60fps is a good limit, your gpu may process more than that but it'll only show 60fps or 60hz. go with the 60hz.