First Time!. PC turns on -- Nothing shows on screen

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I got a new computer today and the service for building it up was damn expensive so I decided to do it by myself with a friend who knows just as much as I do.

Anyway, we built it following instructions in Japanese even though our Japanese level isn't very high (I can read it but some technique words are hard to understand, so chances are we missunderstood something).

The PC I got has 4Gb of RAM, a GeForce 9600 GT, 500Gb HDD, Intel Core 2 Quad (or something like that) at 2.6Ghz (then the DVD driver, etc..)and the box itself has 4 fans installed on it from the beginning.

From the Power suply installed on the box and it has a LOT of wires connected to it supplying electricity to the DVD driver, the HDD and the fans.

The exact problem is this:

- I turn on the computer and all the fans start running and the lights inside the computer (the LEDS on the fans and the green LED on the motherboard) turns on. Then after a few seconds everything turns off except the gree n LED on the motherboard, and it turns on again and stays like that all the time.
Meanwhile, the screens goes 'No signal' and the power button turns yellow (sleep mode or something similar, you know, like when the PC is off and you turn the monitor on).

Damn.. I was expecting to be able to do it but right now I'm so lost. I have the computer right next to me so I can check anything. Help needed!! Fast!!!!! (my laptop is dying after a few years of overuse).

evll_panda

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Just a heads up I ran into a similar issue mid last year putting together a friends rig for him and it turned out to be a faulty mobo. I would just make sure that everything is plugged in and seated properly and if you are seeing the mobo and everything come to life and still aren't getting video on your monitor then it would be best to return the video card and mobo and just get new ones since one of the two is your problem.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
jtt283 is dead on with the psu observation. I have had bad psu's or not completely plugged in psu cables that do the same thing as what you are describing. Stand-offs.... I really hope this isn't a stand off issue. If it is, then you have fried the mobo.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What do you mean with 'brass standoffs'? I placed the micro while having it on top of my table (with some protections underneath so it wouldn't get scratched nor anything) and then placed it into the case.

The PSU is: Abee (a Tokyo company?) ATX120V Ver.2.2 AS Power Silentist. 650W (Peak).

The Mobo is: Asus P5K-E (FSB 1600).

Actually the mobo has this 'Plug and Proof' thing where the LED turns on RED if something is wrong. Mine is green, but maybe both mean BAD?. Dunno.

The 4-pin CPU power cable?.. Uhm.. I'm really NEW into this so I don't really know what you are exactly talking about. My current laptop won't display google for some reasons so I don't know what that is.

------------------

hairycat101, wow.. that's now scary..

To see if that's the error, how can I check it?..

evll_panda

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
4-Pin CPU Power Cable is just a cable coming out of your PSU that has 4 pins that forms a small square and has a clip on one end and you plug it into the mobo and it powers your CPU. Brass Standoffs are the little brass screws that you put inside the case base plate so that when you screw your mobo down it is only touching those brass standoffs and not the case itself.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Ya if the 4 pin CPU 12v atx isn't plugged in, it will not turn on.

Next time get instructions in English so you can read them. Download a english manual form the manufacturer website.

The mobo mounts into the case with screws through holes; typically about eight of them. The screws should not go directly into the case, but into brass standoffs that are screwed into the case first. A few cases may have the posts pre-installed. If you didn't use standoffs, circuit traces on the mobo will contact the case, shorting out. Almost invariably, a death is involved.
The 4-pin CPU power cable is an additional power cable that goes from the PSU to a 4-pin socket located somewhere near the CPU socket. On the PK5-E, it is located on the very edge of the board. If your PSU has a 20+4 pin main power cable, it is NOT that little 4-pin plug, but an entirely separate one.
If you don't see one, your PSU may have an 8-pin mobo plug on it instead. Check its documentation, but generally you would use 4 of its 8 pins. Do not force any cable into place; they are all keyed to go in where they belong.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ah yeah the Mobo has those brass screws on it so the mobo isn't touching the case itself, only the screws.

And the 4-Pin CPU Power Cable is connected into the mobo, I believe..

*checks*

Uhmm.. I have this 24-pin (20 pins + 4 pins, all of them connected into the same white large slot) thing plugged into the mobo..

Also the fan on top of the micro, spins, and it takes the energy from the mobo, so I would guess it's connected fine.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Wow... didn't know that at all.

Now, I know this is asking TOO MUCH, but damn I would appreciate it:

Could you locate a pic of that mobo and point the 4-pin plug on it? I can then check where it is, see if I connected or not something to it and therefore proceed to do it.

Thanks to all you guys!!!!!

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I MADE IT!!!

IT WOOOOOOOOOORKSSSSSS

DAMN I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

EDIT- It says I have 512mb of ram, why?
Also it says the Drive wasn't detected.

And finally, 'Chassis intruded! Fatal Error... System Halted.'

:O

tkuhl87

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
When does it say you have 512MB of ram? if it's on startup it is likely your Video RAM like it'll say Nvidia 512MB OK or something like that.

Drive wasn't detected means that your Hard Drive can't be found so check to make sure it's properly plugged in for power and there's a cable connecting it to the motherboard.

The Chassis intruded error sounds like some sort of case open warning, check your bios to see if there's some kind of warning system that you can turn off.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

It asks me to press ALT to go to the BIOS Post something or ESC to setup (I have not installed Windows yet)

However, even if I press BIOS, it will promt me with a messae saying:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Oo'!!? So, do I install Windows first and then change the RAM problem on the Bios?

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Oh lol, I was so happy to see the monitor showing actual text, that I didn't really read it correctly, lol!. Yeah, it talks about the Nvidia, so 512mb is correct. D'oh!.

And about the Hard Drive, I would believe it's connected properly. I'm doing the windows installation right now. I'll update as soon as the installation begins and I can set the HDD sizes and all that. If it doesn't show up that, I'll check the power supply.

tkuhl87

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Usually it's esc that you have to hit to prompt the Bios to come up.

In case you're brand new with this whole thing here's a bit of what a bios does. It's essentially an operating system for your motherboard. It controls settings that you can change such as FSB speed, fan settings, Boot Order, etc. as soon as you turn the computer on I'd hold down the ESC key until the bios is loaded. You shouldn't have to install windows in order to get to the bios, but you can install windows first if you'd like and it lets you.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It detected the Hard drive!.

Right now I'm installing Windows :)

Thanks for the BIOS guide, I will check it as soon as I install windows and the drivers!!!.

Alt is probably to show the BIOS POST screen. Esc[ape] enters the BIOS Setup screens. Go there, reset the BIOS to defaults. That will normally make an optical drive boot before a hard drive, but you may need to manually check it.

tkuhl87

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok, cool...You should be fine now that you have windows install going. and don't worry about the whole memory thing because the only reason I knew that was because I (even having built half a dozen systems and repaired a dozen more) still got confused when my computer came up with 256MB and I freaked until I noticed the Nvidia in front of it a few restarts later. Good luck, enjoy the new system.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It prompted right now with a

"CPU over temperature error"

And then said to press F1 to resume Oo'. I pressed it and Windows XP is booting up.. (the installation I mean).

Also, the fan on the PSU isn't working, though it's actually supposed to work just when it's needed (it's a 'Backup Fan System'..) Also, the air coming from the fans in the case is pretty cool, so I don't know.. Maybe it's an error detecting the temp?.

tkuhl87

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Best advice is to check the bios later. It'll tell you what temp the CPU and case are at and if it's above 120 degrees F, you might want to worry, if not I'd just disable the warning.