tomazg

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Hi, I've tried several times to run chkdsk on my Toshiba laptop (running Windows XP). Each time it hangs up on Step 4, Verifying file data. This time it hung up at 43% complete. I waited 2 hours then turned it off and on again.

My computer seems to work ok but I've wanted to make a drive image using Acronis True Image, but that fails too.

What is causing this and how can I solve it

Addendum:
I tried chkdsk again and this time it got to 66% before hanging up.
It stalled at 62% but then proceeded after saying that it replaced bad clusters in a file.

I thought it might get past 66% if I waited long enough, but 2 hours seems more than long enough, and the drive light was just pulsing on about every second.

Maybe some flaw in the program is causing it to hang up???

tomazg

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

That's what I've been doing: chkdsk /f /r
It hangs up.
I left it running all night last night and this morning it was still stuck at 17% of step 4.
On a previous try it got as far as 66% of step 4.

any other ideas?

tomazg

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

OK, I did that. The Fujitsu diagnostic program failed too. I spoke with their tech and he just said that the disk is bad.

The computer seems to work fine in all other respects, I'm just not able to make a drive image; that's why I ran chkdsk.

I hate the idea of having to reinstall all my programs, etc. when I finally replace the drive. Any tips for minimizing the burden and loss of data, like all the passwords that Firefox has remembered for me?
I've backed up all MY Documents onto a portable drive so that part should not be a problem.

Thanks,
Tomazg