Cant get 8800GT SLI to work

harock

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
These Questions have most likly been ask many times so heres my stick onto the fire

ok first here is my set up

MotherBoard: GA M55sli - S4
CPU: AM2 5800 + 2.8Ghz
Sound Card: On board
Hard Drive: 500Gb
GPU: 2 x 8800GT's 1 is gigabyte 1 is generic (EliteGroup)
PSU: Coolermaster 650W

ok i have been trying to get this thing working for the passt week with no luck
i have installed the 2nd card but it has not poped up in my device manager i have tried each card one at a time and they are both working
i have reinstall the lastest drivers for both my video cards and motherboard. i think my powersupply is powerfull enof and i have checked there doesnt seem to be any setting in the bios to activate SLI and theres no switches on the motherboard itself

anyideas :??:

Cheers

Do you have an additional molex power plug connected to the molex power connector on your motherboard above the 1st video card and the processor? (you have to have this when you run two cards)

Check the bridge connector and make sure its correctly seated between the two video cards.

There is a setting that you go into to "enable SLI". Go to your control panel, then Nvidia control panel and then "set SLI configuration" and make sure SLI is enabled.

I had that board and it worked great.

harock

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yep thx i pluged that in thou it didnt have any effect its still not detecting the 2nd card thx anyway :(

jtelep

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
You need to change all of the jumpers (4-pin blocks) betweeen the 2 X16 PCI-e slots. I think there are 2 long rows and 4 short rows. By default the board comes in a single card configuration and will not recognize the other card until you make the change to those jumpers. Be careful though as I had many of the actual metal portions of the jumpers remaining stuck to the board after the block was removed! Tedious but in the end worth it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
hey, never having tried SLI before, but hoping to at some point in the near future, does it matter which end of the bridge is connect to which card?

yetyhunter

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Yes it matters.

There are two types of SLI bridge, one for a dual card set up and one for a triple card and as far as I'm aware they only come packaged with the motherboard and I have not seen them on sale on their own but someone else might have. A dual card SLI bridge can be put onto the cards either way round and I have not seen any performance difference if I put on upside down (although there are no direction or PCI-e1/PCI-e2 markings) as it where.

HTH.