Feedback for $700 gaming build upgrade

darkknight4686

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hello everybody,

I have heard great things about the knowledge of the folks here at Tom's hardware, especially on the forums. Because of that, I would appreciate some feedback about a new computer that I am going to build. This is not my first build (its my SECOND!) but I have been out of the loop for a few years and would like to confirm that these components would do well. I am planning on using this computer for the next 2-3 years.

This is primarily going to be a GAMING/MULTI-TASKING/GENERAL USE PC. I would like for it to play most of the upcoming games (AoC, Starcraft II, etc.) on close to maximum settings (but I'm not willing to spend the thousands of dollars needed to actually reach max settings).

I am not looking to OC anything because well, i don't really know how and I've heard that it reduces component lifetime. Also, i don't want to spend unnecessary money on fans and heatsinks since I'm on a budget AS CLOSE TO $700 as it can be.

The questions I have for the poster will be at the bottom of this post, so if you just want to scroll down to the bottom, be my guest!

PSU: I currently have a Thermaltake Purepower 500W and I think it should suffice for this system.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
I am NOT looking to SLI in the forseeable future and I've heard its too expensive to SLI for the cost involved. I have done much searching and heard that this is a good, stable, and cheap motherboard that does everything that I need.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
I have read many things on this forum about quad-core vs. dual-core. I'm not looking to OC and I figure that 2.4 GHz will not be that much slower than 3.0 Ghz. Also, if in the future, games take advantage of quad cores, I don't want to be stuck with a dual core because I probably wouldn't upgrade my CPU just to add 2 cores.

Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
I have heard that this is better than 8800GT and worth the extra $20 so I will go with it. However, I went with EVGA because I previously bought from them and I've heard good things. However, there is a similar MSI card for much cheaper.

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Retail
Research on this site suggests that this is the best 4GB RAM deal (and it has a good rebate on newegg) for DDR2 800 and that it performs well in gaming, etc.

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
I have a good hard drive currently. However, its not SATA 3.0 so most people say this is a good hard drive.

SO, Here are my questions:

1) Should I go with quad core (kentsfield) or dual core (wolfdale)? Pros vs. Cons anybody?

2) How much faster is SATA 3.0 in the hard drive? Is spending $65 for this SATA 3.0 hard drive going to enhance gameplay over my current hard drive?

3) Will my 500W PSU suffice for this system?

Thanks for reading through this ridiculously long post and replying with coherent answers!

darkknight4686

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I thought of one more question.....

4) Should I go with the EVGA or MSI video card, seeing as how the MSI one costs $40 less? Is there any real advantage to getting EVGA if I am not an OCer?

Thanks!

Raxus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Dark,

If your not wanting to get next gen GPU in about 2 weeks MSI is a great deal and heard nothing but good about em. IF you need the puter before then I would then say get the EVGA and use the step-up program to upgrade to the new cards when they come out.

uguv

Distinguished
1) The wolfdale will be faster for most games, but the Q6600 is better for multi-threaded apps. If this is primarily a gaming PC I'd probably go with an E8400.

2) It's probably noticably faster than an older IDE HDD. The Seagate 7200.11 drives are faster still, and pretty much on par with the WD is making these days. With your budget I'd probably stay with the drive you've selected.

3) The Purepower 500W isn't the highest quality PSU. It should be enough to power your system, provided it has adequate amperage on the 12v rail, however you might want to get something a bit more dependable like a corsair 450W or 550W.

See the CPU quality tiers here (Thermaltake Purepower is Tier 3): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

4) The benefit to going with EVGA is their step-up program, allowing you to upgrade your card to a newer model for the difference in cost within 90 days. If you don't plan on doing that then MSI is the better deal at the moment.

Do you have a case and OS already? I think overall you've made some very solid choices.

darkknight4686

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I do have a X-Navigator case (it has lotsa room in it) and I have Vista Ultimate 32 and 64 bit. Also, I have a Lite-On DVD burner drive and another DVD-ROM drive from my old comp. I figure that these don't really matter to gaming as most games are read from the hard drive, not from the disc.

I have a question about the GPUs coming out in 2 weeks? I thought only ATI was coming out with next gen GPUs but is nVidia also bringing out new graphics cards?

If so, I'm sure that they will cost >$400 so it would not be worth it for me to get them. Are you guys saying I should wait to buy the GPU because once the newer ones come out, the older ones will get cheaper? Or do you think the newer ones will be around $300?

Basically, I want to play age of conan ASAP and my current comp runs laggy as hell..... But if the new cards are going to be affordable, I may be willing to wait 2 weeks for them. The EVGA step-up program sounds like a good program if the new cards are going to be only like $50-$100 more than the current ones.

Thanks for your input!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
In any case, defiantly wait for the new releases. The new cards will be pricy and probably out of your budget, however they will also likely force prices down on the current crop. Im planning on getting a second 8800GT sometime in June as prices plummet. :D

Beyond that, a well researched build. Im not sure if the 7200.10 has Perp Recording or not, but if it doesnt you should step up to a drive that features it.

I think the Q6600 is your winner. And remember you dont have to OC from the start, in a year or two if it starts to feel sluggish, OC it then. A good way to make your components last longer, and it will feel like a free upgrade.

EDIT: Didnt really answer the ?, yea the new Nvidia cards will be in the $400+ catagory most likely, the lower end one might touch $300-$350. I would just get the MSI 8800GTS. Its a solid card that should last you 1.5-2 years pretty easy. (Depending on what new games can do of course...)