8600GT SLI Performance...

I have a question for all you video card junkies out there. I'm currently running 2x 8600GT SLI and wanted to know where i stand performance wise, is it comparable to a single 8800GT or 8800GTS?

I also wanted to know if i jumped to 2x 8800GT SLI, how much of a performance jump would this be. Would this be a feasible jump? I'm trying to stay under $200 per card, what would be a good option for me?

Thanx
AJ
22 answers Last reply
More about 8600gt performance
  1. 2x 9600gt performe better than 2x 8800GT. get the 9600GT's. 8600Gt isn't coming near one 8800GT. here where i live you have 2 xfx9600Gt for 100 each.
  2. Its really hard to recommend SLi without using a top card. Two 8600's may not have neen the best choice, a single 8800gt would easily out perform this. Are you purely Nvidia? Ati has some kills card being released soon. What price range and what are your current system specs?
  3. vochtige said:
    2x 9600gt performe better than 2x 8800GT. get the 9600GT's. 8600Gt isn't coming near one 8800GT. here where i live you have 2 xfx9600Gt for 100 each.


    2x 9600gt is not faster than 2x8800gt. :sarcastic:

    8800gt is faster.

    2 x 8600gt is slightly slower than a 320mb 8800gts.
  4. There are 8800GS cards for $90 after MIR at newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130332
  5. First of all, I want to thank everybody who responded for taking the time to respond to my questions.

    Secondly, I agree 110% that the 2x 8600GTs were a bad choice and the decision was based on ignorance and a lack of options. I tend to purchase items from local mom and pops shops in an attempt to keep business local however im finding that to be more trouble than its worth. Not to mention, the mom and pop shops can and usually are almost twice as much as spending the money and buying it online for example newegg.com.

    Yea, i'm currently only NVidia do to the fact that my motherboard is SLI and not Crossfire.

    I'm gonna have to agree with marvelous on this one, from what i'm seeing that 8800GTs are performing better than the 9600GTs HOWEVER!!!!! I believe that the 8800GTs are using the G80 chips where as the 9600GTs are using the G92 chips. Does this make a difference?

    Thanx
    AJ
  6. i keep with what i said. 2x 9600 sli better than 8800GT sli.

    i saw today the crysis benchmarks. more ppl said it! sorry

    the 8800gt is highend, the 9600GT is midend. the 8800GT single performce better, but in sli they said to me 9600SLI
  7. To correct you AJ. 8800gt are using g92 chips and 9600gt uses G94 chips.

    Basically a 94 is neutered G92 with some tweaks in their SLI bridge.
  8. ajcroteau said:
    First of all, I want to thank everybody who responded for taking the time to respond to my questions.

    Secondly, I agree 110% that the 2x 8600GTs were a bad choice and the decision was based on ignorance and a lack of options. I tend to purchase items from local mom and pops shops in an attempt to keep business local however im finding that to be more trouble than its worth. Not to mention, the mom and pop shops can and usually are almost twice as much as spending the money and buying it online for example newegg.com.

    Yea, i'm currently only NVidia do to the fact that my motherboard is SLI and not Crossfire.

    I'm gonna have to agree with marvelous on this one, from what i'm seeing that 8800GTs are performing better than the 9600GTs HOWEVER!!!!! I believe that the 8800GTs are using the G80 chips where as the 9600GTs are using the G92 chips. Does this make a difference?

    Thanx
    AJ

    [:mousemonkey:2] What res do you game at?, and what CPU are you using?
  9. Usually i res at 1280 x 1024 and my current CPU which i just upgraded is not a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Now its time to upgrade the video card.

    AJ
  10. 8800gt is just better. I would opt for that any day over 9600gt. $10 difference in street price makes it a no brainer.
  11. IMHO for the 1280 x 1024 to 1680 x 1050 'resolution band' as it were, a pair of 8800GT's shine but for 1900 x 1200 and above a pair of GTS's would be your best bet, and your CPU is fine, if you had a 939 or low end AM2 then you may have faced other issues but you're good.
  12. Thanx for your help.

    Two of these bad boys are on their way to my place.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

    AJ
  13. wow 2 times duel slot cooler?

    have fun with it!
  14. ajcroteau said:
    Thanx for your help.

    Two of these bad boys are on their way to my place.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

    AJ

    Sweeeet [:mousemonkey], I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm loving mine. [:mousemonkey:3]
  15. Mousemonkey said:
    Sweeeet [:mousemonkey], I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm loving mine. [:mousemonkey:3]


    dude, you have sex with them? with or without fans?
  16. vochtige said:
    dude, you have sex with them? with or without fans?

    If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. :sarcastic:
  17. the best option is dual 4850s

    hands down
  18. hands down dick in? i guess a silent cooled 8800 sli system would be nicer and warmer to make love with mousemonkey
  19. vochtige said:
    hands down dick in? i guess a silent cooled 8800 sli system would be nicer and warmer to make love with mousemonkey

    "Hardware configuration" of a user : vochtige

    pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz stock
    2Gb ddr2 533mhz (4x512mb)
    asus p5ld2
    2x 80 gb maxtor
    asus geforce 8600GT silent 256mb
    samsung syncmaster 740BF
    xilenc 600w gamers edition sli

    Jealousy is a cruel mistress. :lol:
  20. Jealousy is a cruel mistress LOL
  21. Mousemonkey said:
    "Hardware configuration" of a user : vochtige

    pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz stock
    2Gb ddr2 533mhz (4x512mb)
    asus p5ld2
    2x 80 gb maxtor
    asus geforce 8600GT silent 256mb
    samsung syncmaster 740BF
    xilenc 600w gamers edition sli

    Jealousy is a cruel mistress. :lol:


    on what do i have to be jealous? the fact he can have sex with sli system? or the fact that he can do sli?

    i'm not jealous at all! sex with my silent 8600 is good enough! :D and the high temps on my p4 gives it a bit more real live experience!

    is there someone out who knows how to handle the shocks i get when i ejaculate?
    the harddrive seems to be jealous on the gpu! i know that because she always tries to spin me around her fingers with 7200rpm!
  22. SLI 8600GT is below a single 8800GS. SLI 8800GT trades blows and is almost as good (apart from insane res) as a GTX280.

    And the 9600GT SLI comment is off base. Some people may claim the 9600GT scales better in SLI, that doesn't mean it performs better. SLI 8800GT > SLI9600GT.

    Check all games here: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_9600_gt_sli_performance/page3.asp
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance SLI Graphics Product