Sign in with
Your question

using Ready Boost?

Last response: in Memory
August 1, 2008 4:51:25 PM

I had a Kingston Data Traveler 1 gig thumb drive lying around, so I decided to try out Ready Boost. I stuck it in, and Vista asked if I'd like to use it for Ready Boost. The thumb drive has to have sufficient enough speed in order to be used; Vista will tell you if it isn't fast enough. I have 2 gigs of DDR2 system RAM. My PC does seem maybe a little faster now. If I had less system RAM, then the speed difference would be much greater.

More about : ready boost

August 1, 2008 5:06:17 PM

So...LESS RAM would be FASTER?

Ready Boost can never replace good old internal RAM, its only useful when doing something that needs large amounts of RAM at one point in time.
a b } Memory
August 1, 2008 5:10:54 PM

Thank you for the observation there, Captain Misinterpretation...

The OP is simply stating he notices a little inprovement, and that he feels ReadyBoost should be able to make a bigger difference were his system more marginal.
Related resources
August 1, 2008 5:19:11 PM

Ready Boost is a nice little addition for applications that are ram-intensive that you mightn't run on a regular enough basis to go out and buy more ram.

What I'd love to see is the ability to use an eSATA drive for Ready Boost... +2 TB of RAM anyone? XD
August 1, 2008 5:22:19 PM

I've seen a lot of reviews that say that Ready Boost actually hurts system performance but I haven't seen any since SP1 was released and I know they made some changes to it. I've been using it since I first started using Vista about a year and a half ago and I think it makes a slight difference but it's only really worth it if you have a flash drive laying around that your not using, don't buy one just for that.
!