Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't log on to PC

Last response: in Windows XP
September 30, 2010 4:24:17 AM

Hello,
I am trying to helpo an elderly lady with her PC. We cannot log on it asks for a password (admin or user never had one) no matter what we type in it says "domain not available". I have booted from an emergency disk; ran disk checks; etc but no cigar. We can't do a recovery or restore because w can't get on. She doesn't have any disks for her DELL laptop it was passed on from her daughter. I was thinking it was some sort of virus but I don't know how to check without getting at least to safe mode and can't even do that. everything goes to the darn log-in HELP !

More about : log

Best solution

September 30, 2010 5:35:41 AM

ebyrd68 said:
Hello,
I am trying to helpo an elderly lady with her PC. We cannot log on it asks for a password (admin or user never had one) no matter what we type in it says "domain not available". I have booted from an emergency disk; ran disk checks; etc but no cigar. We can't do a recovery or restore because w can't get on. She doesn't have any disks for her DELL laptop it was passed on from her daughter. I was thinking it was some sort of virus but I don't know how to check without getting at least to safe mode and can't even do that. everything goes to the darn log-in HELP !

[#0005ff]Sounds as though you're seeing a drop down box at the welcome screen and whichever name is showing by default is a logon to a network you can't access. Check that box to see if there's another option hidden below that one or alternatively, overwrite that one with Administrator and see if that lets you in. Failing that, restatr and tap Function 8 to see teh Advanced Boot Menu and select Safe Mode - that may show a different welcome screen. [/#000ff]
September 30, 2010 2:56:05 PM

Safe mode asks for passwords as well. IS there an anti-virus program and Diagnostics that I could run from a disk or flashdrive after starting from a boot disk? I can run from a boot disk; I ran several chkdisk and HDD health utilities and everything there checks out OK. I ran a CPU check and a mem check, said OK. Could the boot sector be corrupted? or the BIOS? In the past I had some utilities like Glary Utilites PRO and NORTON SYSTEM WORKS that would run from disk and check the registry for errors etc. my old NORTON SYSTEM Works won't work on XP and I can't seem to find any freeware that look like it will do the job. If I was getting paid for this I might buy a program but neither I or the lady has any spare cash at the moment, so I'm at my wits end. I'm really close to telling her to s_ _ _ can her nice dell laptop and look for a refurbed desktop.

TIA, byrd
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2010 6:05:32 PM

ebyrd68 said:
Safe mode asks for passwords as well.

[#0005ff]Someone will doubtless post a password cracking utility sooner or later and the Administrator account would be the one to aim it at.[/#000ff]
m
l
October 7, 2010 2:40:13 AM

I tried a couple of different boot disks and other utilities. no go. The lady talked to her daughter and they're just getting her a new laptop. She wanted to get win7 anyway and they think this is the way to go. I didn't try to disuade them because I already had way too much time volunteered into it. I didn't find anything in the boot up stuff extra or missing; the directories and drive drive checked out OK so I thought maybe her system files where corrupted in some way. Somebody gave her the PC so she had no disks or replacement files. IT wouldn't do a system restore, etc. IT just didn't seem a worthwhile endeavor any longer.

Thanks for your input.

Byrd
m
l
October 17, 2010 3:26:52 AM

Best answer selected by ebyrd68.
m
l
!