Sign in with
Your question

8800GT causing system crashes?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2008 7:24:28 PM

Recently installed an 8800gt into a system with a 550W power supply, 21 amps on the +12v, never had any issues before. Now.. after playing intense 3d games for a little while the system will not artifact, but right before it crashes a pink discoloration will come across the screen and the sound will turn into a god awful noise. I don't believe it is a heat issue as i've been monitoring this and even increased the fan speed on the card so that the core doesn't really exceed 65-70 under load, and my CPU is also well below temp limits. My only guess now is that I'm over stressing the PSU.. however it does last for at least a half hour of intense gaming.. (COD4 crysis) and with WoW it doesn't have the issue, only after awhile of intense gaming does it occur.. seems to have to build up over time, and there is no warning of its coming. any ideas?
June 18, 2008 10:50:27 PM

are you running vista? does it say your driver crashed? have you checked your event viewer to see if a log has been made?
June 18, 2008 10:56:08 PM

Looks like power problem. 21amps on a single 12v rail is too low.

ilovebarny said:
are you running vista? does it say your driver crashed? have you checked your event viewer to see if a log has been made?

Doesn't look like that's the case. Keep in mind, those typical "Vista" driver crash problems actually has nothing to do with Vista, but DX10. If you run games in DX9 mode, no crush. It only surface in Vista because XP and lower OS do not run DX10.

CoD4 only runs on DX9, and does not support DX10, so it can't possibly trigger the crash.
Related resources
June 18, 2008 11:03:44 PM

^ aaa ok. cod4 runs on dx9? hm i didn't know that. i thought it was ether/or. i was just asking cause my bro's driver sometime's crashes and vista pops up saying that the driver has stopped responding and has restarted. whats a good amp rating on a 12v rail?
June 18, 2008 11:08:00 PM

ilovebarny said:
^ aaa ok. cod4 runs on dx9? hm i didn't know that. i thought it was ether/or. i was just asking cause my bro's driver sometime's crashes and vista pops up saying that the driver has stopped responding and has restarted. whats a good amp rating on a 12v rail?

I run 4x20amps. It's overkill. For typical recent gaming setup, you'd need at least around 25amps on a single rail, or slightly higher total on multiple rails.
June 18, 2008 11:10:01 PM

ok hm ill have to check and see what mine is rated at. ( antec earthwatts 500 watt if you really want to know)
June 18, 2008 11:19:59 PM

thats only only a couple amps under the recommended, and its not OCD at all, I guess that is the most obvious solution, but I can play WoW for hours on end.. doesn't the card run at 100% no matter what the 3d game? And if its a rail problem then total watts problem isnt an issue so unplugging other devices isnt gonna help is it?. I have a 24 amp 600 watt PSU but its stupid and doesnt have a connector for a GPU and I don't have an adapter... sigh...
June 18, 2008 11:21:27 PM

Oh another thing, I initially thought it was something other than power because after it would crash I would try to turn it on and it would restart itself before getting to the XP load screen. So I thought it was heat.. because id let it sit for a short time and it would be fine =/. help!
June 18, 2008 11:33:41 PM

25amps on a single rail isn't recommended, more like the bare minimum. And didn't you say it doesn't exceed 65-70 degrees? At that temperature, it should be fine.
June 18, 2008 11:55:24 PM

"850watt 12v rails=4x20amp power supply" You have a similar card and less amps on your 12v rails according to that no? Yeah thats what I've seen temp wise, but why does it have issues turning back on then?
June 19, 2008 12:17:22 AM

rapsux321 said:
"850watt 12v rails=4x20amp power supply" You have a similar card and less amps on your 12v rails according to that no? Yeah thats what I've seen temp wise, but why does it have issues turning back on then?

No, rails are internal routing, not the physical wires that lead to your card. Power from multiple rails combine, although there's a small loss on switching.

As for turning back on, a psu that's stressed too much can have such trouble. How hot does it get? Maybe the fan died... :p 
June 19, 2008 12:25:07 AM

been playing WoW for about an hour watching the GPU its steady 67-68 no probs yet, the system is stressed as much as it is under COD4 and Crysis while playing WoW isnt it? it doesn't hold back does it? ambient is 42, CPU loads at 44-50ish i believe
June 19, 2008 12:30:33 AM

rapsux321 said:
been playing WoW for about an hour watching the GPU its steady 67-68 no probs yet, the system is stressed as much as it is under COD4 and Crysis while playing WoW isnt it? it doesn't hold back does it? ambient is 42, CPU loads at 44-50ish i believe

That's not true. WoW is extremely light on system load, both cpu and gpu, and thus, a lot less power.

Run this to stress cpu to 100% load:
http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html
Run this to stress gpu to 100% load:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

You can try both at the same time. Stress at least an hour to verify stability.

Run at your own risk. I'm not responsible if your system starts smoking.
June 19, 2008 12:31:02 AM

Must have jinxed it.. but this is a first. It did the nice sound distortion then I actually got a BSOD before it crashed entirely but there wasn't time to to read it.. think it was the standard memory exception error. Does this change things or does it still seem like the PSU? Could this be triggered by a a device failing from lack of power? leaving the comp off from now and posting from a diff one.
June 19, 2008 12:33:31 AM

rapsux321 said:
Must have jinxed it.. but this is a first. It did the nice sound distortion then I actually got a BSOD before it crashed entirely but there wasn't time to to read it.. think it was the standard memory exception error. Does this change things or does it still seem like the PSU? Could this be triggered by a a device failing from lack of power? leaving the comp off from now and posting from a diff one.

I don't know. Low power and processor error can also cause it. If your system is stable with both those programs at same time for 1+ hour, then you can rule out cpu, gpu and psu. Look into ram then.
June 19, 2008 12:40:43 AM

I suppose I will use those benchies, although Ive ran 3d Mark 06 three times in a row before without a crash. Also in regards to power supplies, so a power supply with dual +12v rails at say 16 amps each.. actually provides 32 amps? So its better to look for lower amps on each rails but more rails? Thanks.
June 19, 2008 1:09:27 AM

rapsux321 said:
I suppose I will use those benchies, although Ive ran 3d Mark 06 three times in a row before without a crash. Also in regards to power supplies, so a power supply with dual +12v rails at say 16 amps each.. actually provides 32 amps? So its better to look for lower amps on each rails but more rails? Thanks.

It'll be less than 32 amps, as there's a little loss on rail switching. It's better to use psu with high ampage on a single rail than split between many rails.
June 19, 2008 1:18:03 AM

So why did you choose 4 rails at 20 amps each rather than a stronger one in a less collective manner? Im just preparing myself for having to buy a new PSU.. but I don't have alot of money, what would be the minimum type of power supply watts/total amps for a single GPU setup. It seems you cannot find anything near what I consider reasonable with 22 amps on a single rail let alone more than one =/.
June 19, 2008 1:27:54 AM

rapsux321 said:
So why did you choose 4 rails at 20 amps each rather than a stronger one in a less collective manner? Im just preparing myself for having to buy a new PSU.. but I don't have alot of money, what would be the minimum type of power supply watts/total amps for a single GPU setup. It seems you cannot find anything near what I consider reasonable with 22 amps on a single rail let alone more than one =/.

Because it cost only $99.99 at the time, a real bargain for 850watt psu. Plus 4x20amps is more power than any typical rigs will need.

It's not the wattage of your psu. 21amps on a single 12v rail is very low for 550 watts. Most quality psus do much better than that.
June 19, 2008 1:45:36 AM

Yeah I know its not the wattage that all that important, but im still confused, does or does not a dual 12v rail PSU with 16 amps on each rail outpower a single 24 amp rail power supply, and as you said, isn't it actually like having a single rail with 1.5x-2x the amps of one of the rails?
June 19, 2008 2:30:15 AM

rapsux321 said:
Yeah I know its not the wattage that all that important, but im still confused, does or does not a dual 12v rail PSU with 16 amps on each rail outpower a single 24 amp rail power supply, and as you said, isn't it actually like having a single rail with 1.5x-2x the amps of one of the rails?

Yes. It should scale better than 1.5x, but less than 2x.
June 19, 2008 2:33:55 AM

ok thanks, I understand now, also do you think 550 watts is enough for an x2 6400, 2 gigs ram, 2 PCI cards, 8800gt, cd drive, and 2 HDD?
June 19, 2008 2:37:45 AM

rapsux321 said:
ok thanks, I understand now, also do you think 550 watts is enough for an x2 6400, 2 gigs ram, 2 PCI cards, 8800gt, cd drive, and 2 HDD?

In your case, enough wattage, not enough 12v rail ampage. A 550watt psu with better 12v rail ratings should do fine.
June 20, 2008 8:26:16 PM

Tried a PSU that I had with 24 amp rail.. same damn problem, I will have to try with a much stronger PSU to see if it really is the problem.. but i'm going to keep options open. Only other things I changed recently was. Installing new sound drivers and installing GFX drivers.
!