Antec 900 & Cooler Master V8 Install w/ Pictures


You have to install this cooler outside of the case.


Installing the Back Plate. It was a PITA as you have to push the screw up from the
bottom and push down and twist on the nut at the same time.


I just odered an extension for the board power cord that you can see. I will be routing it
out the side panel behind the mother borad like I did for the other cables.











This is how it used to look with the standarded Intel cooler:
This link also shows how I modded my case for cable management.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261278-31-pics-antec-time-build#t1896300
33 answers Last reply
More about antec cooler master install pictures
  1. Looks great, I'm jealous.

    If you want to add some light to the inside of the case, I'd recommend a cold cathode or two. 12" is bright, 4" would add a nice glow if you place it well.

    just a thought
  2. Hey Mark, do you have any tips on cable management? I've got exactly the same setup, except with a GTX295, and I'm having a bit of trouble tucking everything away, and yours' looks absolutely sweet!

    Cheers
  3. Tinotoin said:
    Hey Mark, do you have any tips on cable management? I've got exactly the same setup, except with a GTX295, and I'm having a bit of trouble tucking everything away, and yours' looks absolutely sweet!

    Cheers



    This link also shows how I modded my case for cable management.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] d#t1896300
  4. coopchennick said:
    Looks great, I'm jealous.

    If you want to add some light to the inside of the case, I'd recommend a cold cathode or two. 12" is bright, 4" would add a nice glow if you place it well.

    just a thought


    Thanks!

    Where can I buy the 4" kit?

    Thanks

    Mark
  5. I'm sure you'd be able to find them at other electronic sites, or on ebay or something, but I got a couple for my xbox 360 here: http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=43_76

    Right now it looks like they only have red and white in the 4".

    Mine came with 2 cathodes, a small converter box (which you can bust open and heat-shrink tube the inners if you want), an expansion slot switch, and a molex power adapter.

    I think if you just put one or two like along the top front edge (above the window and out of direct sight), it could add a nice glow to the inside.
  6. Thanks Mark. I’m sure to most it’s apparent, but to me – a newbie to custom builds – it’s quite easy to have positioned the V8 upside down and force air opposite the rear fan. A simple air flow director would have been a nice feature for clarity sake. Your pose was most helpful.
  7. The instructions for the V8 are misleading. They show the airflow going the wrong way. The OP has the V8 mounted the correct way...Coolermaster should really address this.
  8. So you didn't have to mod the case at all to get the V8 to fit right? I've got a 900 also and want to make sure the V8 will fit before I order it. Thanks

    -Matt
  9. Nope no mods.

    Have fun

    It looks and works great!
  10. hey mark, im curious what did the cooler master v8 do?? did your temps drop significantly??

    i am about to pick up the Xigmatek Dark Knight, and am curious as to what the differences would be between the Knight and the V8?
  11. See. You can solve the cable management problems of an Antec 900 with a little work.

    And the cooling capacity is great.
  12. It dropped them a few degrees.

    IMHOP, there wont be that much of a diference between air cooling methods and products.

    I bought the V8 becuse I like the looks of it better.
    I am OCing my system but I'm not be stupid about it.
    If you are really going to go carzy with ocing I would look at H2O coling.

    Have fun

    Mark
  13. Hi there, same setup, and i'm contemplating purchasing the V8 as well.

    One fundamental difference though - I have a side window fan installed in my 900. Would you foresee any issues with interference between the V8 and fan?

    Thanks
  14. japlews said:
    Hi there, same setup, and i'm contemplating purchasing the V8 as well.

    One fundamental difference though - I have a side window fan installed in my 900. Would you foresee any issues with interference between the V8 and fan?

    Thanks


    You may have an issue with this.

    I would remve the side fan as it may not be needed.
  15. Google is your friend
    'antec 900 coolermaster v8 install'
  16. Conumdrum said:
    Google is your friend
    'antec 900 coolermaster v8 install'


    I have installed a V8 in an Antect 900.
    Take a look at the first post in this thread.

    I have read that you may have to cut the side fan housing a little to use it with a V8 in an Antect 900.

    What where you trying to show with you post?
  17. Typing a good string into Google usually gets you an answer now instead of waiting for a kind soul (not real kind myself) to hopefully help. Used to teach electronics for years. You can't find it in the book etc, well............... better learn how/now, because your momma is a few thousand miles away. Better than welfare eh?

    You can't wait on the world to answer things if your a go-getter.

    And That Is what I wanted to say, Mark_K.
  18. Conumdrum said:
    Typing a good string into Google usually gets you an answer now instead of waiting for a kind soul (not real kind myself) to hopefully help. Used to teach electronics for years. You can't find it in the book etc, well............... better learn how/now, because your momma is a few thousand miles away. Better than welfare eh?

    You can't wait on the world to answer things if your a go-getter.

    And That Is what I wanted to say, Mark_K.


    I agree with you 100%.

    When I interview people for jobs I will ask a question to see if they can answer it or if they can explain how they would go about finding the answer.

    Good for you trying to teach people to fish rather than feeding them....poached salmon.

    Oh and thanks for teaching our kids!
  19. I am curious I was thinking of gettin the V8 how does the fan work? Do you have to use the controller or can you let the motherboard do the work for you?
    I read on other forums people saying you can just have to enable in bios but I want to make sure from a actual user of one before I go rushing in and buying it.

    I prefer auto since the controller is set for the back vs a front bracket.
    Thanks for the images though it looks great and least now 1 worry of "will it fit" is lifted from my mind.
  20. 99.99% of CPU fans are connected to the Mobo and temp controlled through the bios. The knob on the controller has a variable resistor that drops some of the voltage to the fan. If you connect the V8 direct to a molex, you'll use the knob to adjust the speed. If you use your bios just leave the knob at max and let the bios do it.

    Look at your Mobo book, look for fan control or look in your bios. Most mobos have it for 3-5 fan connectors on the mobo. Yiou can set your temp tiggers, % of RPM etc.
  21. I see thank you Conumdrum. I just wanted to be sure of it before buying as its not a cheap cooler.

    Some coolers I have seen only work with the controller which is cool but I prefer the lazy approach when its not in the front 2.5.

    Thanks again.
  22. I think it is on sale at newegg for half price today.

    $39.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055
  23. I am getting ready to buy a LIAN LI PC-B25F today to replace my Antec 900.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112248
  24. how much clearence was there between the side panel and the v8
  25. 1/4 in.
  26. Just curious why the LIAN?

    For the price wouldn't it be wiser to go full tower like the twelve hundred?
  27. Twist86 said:
    Just curious why the LIAN?

    For the price wouldn't it be wiser to go full tower like the twelve hundred?



    Check this thread out:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269596-28-lian-b25f-aluminum-tower-computer-case
  28. Ah I see thanks Mark_K


    BTW to add the V8 questions I bought this @ Tigerdirect and it came WITH a 775/1156/1366 3 in 1 bracket.

    So I wasted $10 @ Newegg buying the same bracket ^-^ just a update for anyone that runs to this thread via google like myself.
  29. I feel sorry for that i7 - such a beast of an overclocker and it gets lumped with that shite cooler.
  30. LePhuronn said:
    I feel sorry for that i7 - such a beast of an overclocker and it gets lumped with that shite cooler.


    Nice addition to the thread.
    How about adding some productive information.
  31. Mark - thanks for the information. I just purchased 2 of these coolers for use with an i7. I need a bit of extra cooling during the summer months and hoping these will be the answer to that problem. Also good to see how they really mount as can't see to much from the Cooler Master instruction sheet.
  32. Hank2,

    This is a link to my new case and install. (Lianli)
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-269596_10_50.html#t2069295

    I'm glad my post could help you.

    Good luck

    Mark
  33. foolycooly said:
    The instructions for the V8 are misleading. They show the airflow going the wrong way. The OP has the V8 mounted the correct way...Coolermaster should really address this.


    i just installed it the right way, doublechecked the instructions and successfully reinstalled it the wrong way. it feels like coolermaster really dropped the ball on this product. ive read about better hsf's for my i7 1366 and i cant stand reading about them while thinking about how screwed up the installation of the v8 was. :pfff:
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooler Master Cooling Overclocking Product