matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hello all

Please help if you possibly can.

I have an i7 920 running idle at 35 degrees celsius and at 100% load at 65 degrees celsius on all four cores (at least, this is what Core Temp is telling me - the bios and Speed Fan tell me the CPU is running 15 degrees cooler but apparently I'm not to trust these two). I have a Cooler Master V8 heatsink plonked on the CPU, cranked up to full. All of this is in a Cooler Master HAF case, which can't exactly be accussed of not having enough ventilation.

So why am I running at 65 celsius on a CPU that is not even overclcoked? At this temp, does it mean that I can't begin to oc for fear of frying my CPU?

Please don't tell me to reseat the bloody V8, because I am a total noob when it comes to computers and I didn't put it in in the first place. If you really think this is the problem and that I'm going to have to be brave and reseat, does anyone know of any decent (visual) guides about how to do it. The idea of taking out my motherboard in order to affect said reseat terrifies me.

Eternally grateful for just one response.

Thank you

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks for responding. Yes, I know it's going to be hot. But that hot? With that cooler? How come others manage to get 45 under full load? That's my point. I don't know how to reseat the V8, because I am a computer noob.

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks for responding. Yes, I know it's going to be hot. But that hot? With that cooler? How come others manage to get 45 under full load? That's my point. I don't know how to reseat the V8, because I am a computer noob.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
these temperatures are fine. What are you afraid of? The i7 series an run at 100c w/o throttling. As long as you idle below 45 and are under 90 under full load you are good to go. (My opinion)

matt77

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

It's weird, but just having confirmation like that makes me feel better. I guess because I am a real noob and I've heard that people getting much lower temps than this before they overclocked. So you reckon I'd be OK to give an overclock a go?