Yet another AOC and FPS build with multi monitors.

aarong

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Hello,
(Note: After spending the time to write up this post in OpenOffice, I started reading today's forums and found another guy doing almost the same basic thing as me. Since I've spent all this time, I'm going to post this anyhow).

I've spent a lot of time researching all of these components, and would love to know if there are any obvious bad choices, or choices where I could save money with close to no loss in performance. I know the Lian Li case is overkill, but it has a cool factor I can't say no to.

The purpose of this system is for MMORPG's and FPS. I do intend to overclock the processor as much as I can with air while still maintaining perfect stability. I intend to 2 or 3 monitors, and will have several applications open at once.

I will probably buy most of the components from Newegg.com and Wwave.com. The total cost is going to be in the neighborhood of 3650 US dollars.

Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Motherboard

Processor: INTEL core 2 quad q9450

Processor Cooling Fan: Zerotherm FZ120

Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Video Card: Waiting for next month when the new Nvidia parts come out. Until then I will be using a throw-away video card I have laying around.

Case: LIAN LI PC-P80B ( Maybe the PC-P60B, I really don't know I want to go big or stay home.

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Red) 750W EPS12V Power Supply

Hard Drive: 3x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB
(Raid 0 first 2 drives, last drive for paging, backup, and bitorrent in-progress files)

Monitors: 2x Gateway FHD2400

I appreciate your time, and look forward to your critique.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Go for 32mb cache on the drives imo. 3x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gb hard drives. Even 4x, and just raid the first 3.

Or just 2x samsung spinpoint f1 in raid 0, and 1x wd6400aaks as backup. If you're going to go to the trouble of raiding, may as well get 32 :)

You'll get speed that rivals raptors with more storage, and the wd aaks is incredibly reliable and would still make a solid backup.

G

with 2 24 inch monitors you might wanna try getting 2 cards... cause thats insane...

my only thing is i'd wait until late 08 early 09 so taht you could get the nehalem chip from intel...

then get ddr3 because teh bandwidth will really improve for memory with that architecture... but idk if you can wait or not... I know I can (because I have no cash right now :) ) but for you it might be better to get what you want now

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
He won't need 2 cards if he's only going with 2 monitors.

If you intend on going with 3 monitors, I'd recommend either a 2nd card, or getting something like the 3870x2 if there's anything released from the 4xxx series ATI cards.

You'll be limiting yourself with SLI, but with the release of the 4870, you could always buy 2 of those and crossfire em :)

aarong

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
So if I wanted to do 3 monitors, would I setup the 2 video cards in SLI mode, or is that not necessary? If not in SLI, the video cards wouldn't have to be the exact same, would they?

TRENDING THREADS