Conroe Celeron running hot

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
My dad has the Celeron 420 @ 1.6GHz and it's running a lot hotter than it used to. When he first got it it idles at 30C but then I put some AS5 on it and it idled at an amazing 23C!

Now I looked and it idles at 50C and under load goes about 63C.

This cpu is single core and the TDP is only 35 watts. Why is the dang thing running so hot? I installed several case fans but that didn't touch the temp at all. I tried reseating the cpu and reapplying AS5 as well.

Any ideas?

I used a celeron 430 on my compaq pc, and it always ran at 48-60 celcius with the standard avc heatsink, which was secured by 4 screws instead of the push on Intel setup. I wouldn't worry about your temps if you're sure your heatsink is installed correctly. Removing and reinstalling any cpu components can do more harm than your higher temps. These cpus are pretty tough; they can run fine up to about 70 celcius before you'll notice any problems with software. Room temps can affect cpu temps greatly; as summer kicks in, my cpu runs a little warmer until the a/c is on. Another possiblility is that software updates have affected the reported temps by your monitoring software or bios; your original temps may have been inaccurate.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah the stock cpu cooler is not to great (small and no copper) but I can't figure out why it's running so much hotter than it used to while room temps stay mostly the same.

Heck my Pentium D 925 @ 3GHz (netburst lol) runs cooler idling at 48C and it's even dual core with a 95watt TDP. (although it does have a copper ring on bottom of heatsink)

TRENDING THREADS