Gaming Memory

dubzz4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I currently am running an AMD athlon 6000+ with an 8800gt graphics card, asus mobo, baracuda hd.

I have read many threads about the tradeoffs between speed and timing. I game on this pc and play mostly counter strike. Knowing this, if i were to go out and upgrade my RAM, in all honesty,do i go for a 1066 stick with 5-5-5-15 timing or a 667-800 with 4-4-4-12. I currently have 2 gb of 800 but i was going to ask this before i go all out and add anymore of it. Also if i have 2gb and lets say I add 2 more, will there be a major increase in performance or is it just another wasted purchase? Like I said, I use this rig for gaming, mostly Counter Strike.

Mondoman

Splendid
Windows XP will be somewhat more responsive with 3 or more GB vs. 2GB; Vista will be MUCH happier. Timings don't matter -- just get some DDR2-800 RAM with a spec voltage no higher than 1.9V.

Mondoman

Splendid
Because higher than 1.9V is overclocked. If the manufacturer won't tell you how the RAM will perform under DDR2 standard conditions (1.8-1.9V), don't you think they must be hiding something bad?