Sign in with
Your question

few frames more, worth Ocing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2008 2:58:00 AM

hi.
i OCed my 2600pro, up to 767/560 right now. but in somegames, it only increase fps by 4
in company of heros, i get 35with OC and 20 without.
in Grid, i get 28with OC, and 23 without.
if i say im not going to play company of heros, then should i just under clock it to 600/500 which is normal 2600pro clock?
i have no problem with temperature.
thanks

More about : frames worth ocing

June 19, 2008 3:00:06 AM

If there's no temperature or stability problems, keep it oced. No reason not to. :p 
June 19, 2008 3:48:20 AM

no - while every computer i ship is overclocked - i never oc gpu's and there are good reasons.

first gpu's are binned much differently then cpus

if you want an oc card buy a factory oc card
Related resources
June 19, 2008 4:27:16 AM

i dont quite agree with you on that. if being tested by the user(which is the same as card manufacture do themselves) the GPU can handle a certain speed then its fine. i dont see a reason why not to.
June 19, 2008 6:00:36 AM

Definitely keep it that way. Unless as dagger said, you have stability or heat problems. Those extra 4 frames might come in handy in certain situations.
June 19, 2008 6:53:19 AM

dragonsprayer said:
no - while every computer i ship is overclocked - i never oc gpu's and there are good reasons.

Every computer? So if a costomer wants a basic machine for say web browsing and document making, you would overclock that machine too?
While yes I think overclocking is a really cool thing, and I do OC my machine alot, I wouldnt overclock a basic home computer, or a Business machine.
I just built a computer for my mothers business, (Hair salon) and i picked only the highest quality parts. I would never even think about overclocking that machine.

Not to start anything here, just wondering.
June 19, 2008 6:55:57 AM

To the OP@
Why not keep the card OC'd? As long as you have taken the proper steps in making sure its completely stable and there are no heat issues, it doesnt hurt to have that little bit of performance does it? Those extra 4 frames could mean the difference between life and death. (In a game of course :lol: )
June 19, 2008 6:58:00 AM

I overclock all my machines no matter what. It gives me an edge on my competitors, and I give the customer a 3year warranty.

CPU's only though, I let my customer OC their graphics, if they want to. An unstable OC on a CPU is a lot easier to detect then an unstable OC on a GPU.
June 19, 2008 6:59:36 AM

if it doesnt reach high C's keep it even oc it more if u can within that its under the danger limits. yes you will need those FPS's :)  for future games. / crysis and what not plus FPS's is allways nice.
June 19, 2008 12:21:30 PM

It's so much easier to oc gpu than cpu. Unlike cpu, you can oc gpu easily and reliably through software on driver level. Literally a matter of click and set. Plus, for gamers, resulting performance boost is more significant than cpu overclocking.
June 19, 2008 5:41:34 PM

my card is factory OCed with 2 slot cooler, never goes over 63C

and dagger is right, im scared to OC my cpu, because its complicated, to me as a noob. but for gpu, i just use riva tuner,

my card is pretty stable, with current clocks. i am planning to use it for more than long as possible, but at least 2-3 years,
does OCing affect cards life?

hey dagger, how much performance did you gain after OCing ur 8800gts?
June 19, 2008 5:47:32 PM

gadgetnerd said:
if it doesnt reach high C's keep it even oc it more if u can within that its under the danger limits. yes you will need those FPS's :)  for future games. / crysis and what not plus FPS's is allways nice.

hey you know what? i completed Crysis already!
in overall midsetting, with 1280 X 780 i believe..
June 19, 2008 8:23:18 PM

dragonsprayer said:

i thinkn you should keep your conservative thinking away from here. if that the way you think about PC you should just even stay away from this forum. we are all enthusiasts in here if you dont know what the word enthusiast mean.
June 20, 2008 12:10:38 AM

jhyukkang said:
my card is factory OCed with 2 slot cooler, never goes over 63C

and dagger is right, im scared to OC my cpu, because its complicated, to me as a noob. but for gpu, i just use riva tuner,

my card is pretty stable, with current clocks. i am planning to use it for more than long as possible, but at least 2-3 years,
does OCing affect cards life?

hey dagger, how much performance did you gain after OCing ur 8800gts?

On 3dmark06, 13k before oc, 15k after. I didn't bother run games at stock, there's no point. :p 
!