Sign in with
Your question

My DVD drive will not see DVD-R discs

Last response: in Components
July 11, 2008 3:50:26 PM

I just finished building a new computer (ABIT IP35 Pro XE, Intel Duo 8500, 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix, e-GeForce 8800GT 1GB, Antec 650W, 3x160GB WD Caviar, Windows XP SP2) and it works great except my DVD drive does not recognize DVD-R discs at DVDs but as CDs.

The DVD is a Pioneer DVR-115. It reads DVDs fine but won't treat DVD-Rs as DVDs. In other words, I put a DVD-R disc in the drive and I get 3 options: Do Nothing, Open as Writable CD, and Use Windows Media Player to Select Songs for the CD. Worse still, I select 'Open as Writable CD', and get an error when trying to queue stuff to it for burning.

OK, so I guess 3 things might be the culprit:

1. It isn't a DVR. Certainly it seems to be a DVR (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/BusinessProducts/Blu-rayDisc+DVDWriters/DVDComputerWriters/ci.DVR-115D.Support) but I could be misreading the specs.
2. I didn't specifically install any drivers for this DVR player. There was no driver CD included with it and nothing in the instructions to do so (but that may be because I ordered the 'OEM' version, whatever that is).
3. Some other component/setting (like the motherboard) is messing the DVR up.

Suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance!

(I saw a similar thread at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248129-28-drive-disc, but in my case the entire build is new, out-of-the-box components.)

More about : dvd drive dvd discs

July 12, 2008 12:46:50 PM

After a day of trying things, I have 2 more thoughts on my own problem:

1. Nero 8 does let me burn data DVDs. XP still doesn't seem them as DVD-R when in the Autoplay list, but I canat least tell Nero to use the item in the drive as a data DVD and it does it successfully.

2. I haven't enabled Window Update yet. Is it possible that DVDs (or, 'data DVDs', at least) weren't an original Windows XP thing but came out in a later XP update?

Curioser and curioser...
July 13, 2008 12:22:27 AM

You certainly need to update Windows with all the latest patches! Besides that, here are a couple of other possibilities:
1) The media (the actual disc). Some have compatibility issues.
2) Have you updated your drive's firmware to the latest version? Look under "downloads" on the site in your link.
3) Using a PATA drive (instead of a SATA drive) on the latest generation motherboards sometimes leads to compatibility issues.
Related resources
July 14, 2008 2:36:26 PM

Mondo,

'You certainly need to update Windows with all the latest patches!' That's that party line but consider me skeptical. I did that initially and it broke many things, including my sound/speakers. Only a complete XP re-install (WITHOUT auto-update) got my sound back.

'1) The media (the actual disc). Some have compatibility issues.' Agreed! didn't even realize the was 'DVD-R' and 'DVD+R' until this happened. But I don't that this is the problem in this instance. I tried them all and got the same results.

'2) Have you updated your drive's firmware to the latest version? Look under "downloads" on the site in your link.' Thanks. Did that. I was up to date already.

'3) Using a PATA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pata drive (instead of a SATA drive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA ) on the latest generation motherboards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/motherboard sometimes leads to compatibility issues.' Thanks. Again, something I never knew about until all happened. But the drive is one of the newest, so it's SATA.

At this point, it works with Nero 8, which is sufficient. When I get the courage up to turn on XP Auto-Update, I'll letcha know if any gets better or worse!
July 14, 2008 9:29:00 PM

chriswarner said:
Mondo,

'You certainly need to update Windows with all the latest patches!' That's that party line but consider me skeptical. I did that initially and it broke many things, including my sound/speakers. Only a complete XP re-install (WITHOUT auto-update) got my sound back.
Perhaps you didn't go to the various MB/component manufacturer websites and get the latest drivers. If so, then the lack of correct drivers is the fault of your MB/component vendor(s) for not providing updated drivers -- you might consider going with a different manufacturer for your next purchase. I know that a *major* sound card manufacturer is terrible in this regard and tries to use their lack of updated drivers to try to get customers to buy a newer version of their sound card.
The Windows updates fix bugs and security issues, so it seems pretty silly to me to go without them.
chriswarner said:
'1) The media (the actual disc). Some have compatibility issues.' Agreed! didn't even realize the was 'DVD-R' and 'DVD+R' until this happened. But I don't that this is the problem in this instance. I tried them all and got the same results.
I actually meant the different brands of media; although I agree this is unlikely to be your issue, I have had past cases where only one or two specific brands of media worked reliably on a drive.

chriswarner said:
At this point, it works with Nero 8, which is sufficient.
Yes, that's what I use and it's very good. Sounds like you're in good shape.

!