Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Gigabyte mATX GA-G31M-S2L build no-post ---thoughts?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2008 2:20:37 PM

Inevitably, the smoother the actual build process goes, the harder figuring out a posting issue is. :D 

the build:
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel P4 631 Processor Cedarmill 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB Cache -cpu fan works, obviously don't know if the cpu is good.
2x1GB OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK (allegedly on the compatible list - depending on the bios rev which i do not know) - have tried with one or no sticks in.
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA 300MB/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM
Coolmax CXI-500B 500W Silent Fan Power Supply - fans spinning (quiet!) and appears to be powering the board judging by the leds on the fans and drives sound like they spin up.
Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS - can't tell if the pc speaker is there or working - since i've yet to hear a beep. since it has a spkr lead i'm assuming there IS a pcspeaker but i've not physically checked. (i know ... sounds dumb maybe but hey who knows)

the issue:
First noticed there was no display - then realized it also didn't give a beep indicating a good post (just no beep at all). Though I don't do new builds everyday, i've done a few so i'm not totally inexperienced. As mentioned above, i've tried to get a post beep by not having the ram in at all, currently trying to get the display thru the onboard video but do have a spare 8600GTS i'll be putting in later. I "believe" my front panel leads are all connected correctly (quick side question - on the back of the lead wire casing, there is an impressed triangle - does this signify the polarization of the wires - like the triangle = the positive wire?)
The internal fan LED's and the Power ON LED both light showing power. Plus the HD and optical drive both sound like their spinning up fine.
The Thermaltake lanbox lite doesnt have a sys fan to connect to the sysfan lead on the board- that wouldnt cause it to not post would it?

Pretty much i'm to the point of thinking: 1. might be a short on the case/mobo - should i try pulling it out and attempting a boot from the mobo outside of the case?
2. bad mobo or bad cpu (i'll start w/ the mobo) -- bummer
3. i can try a "known" stick of ram from another pc but i believe its the same model as the ram i'm trying so that would just tell
me if BOTH sticks of new ram is doa.

other thoughts? thanks - wondered if anyone out there used this mobo and noticed anything to be watchful of.

More about : gigabyte matx g31m s2l build post thoughts

May 30, 2008 5:48:07 PM

Hmmm. I have this board - threw a Q6600 and a 2 gig stick in it and it booted fine.

I would conjecture that your processor is the problem.