Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking the 9950

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 7, 2009 8:20:16 AM

hi guys, was attempting to overclock this thing, but not sure how really ive got it to 3.1 ghz wont budge past, cpu volt at 1.375v, nb at i beleive 1.275 ht 1.275 or was it 1.175 my ram is set at 2.20v the ocz reaper ram pc-9200, the msi k9n2 sli platinum, nvidia 9800gtx+ but im trying to get the maximum possible out of this thing, currently ive got the mhz on 240 and mult at stock of 13x and ive gotten 3.1 ive tried upping voltages and all sorts of stuff but for no go,im not sure whats too much volts and whats not enough, my motherboard tells me when too much is gonna cause instability by the voltages being red, so they are all 1 under the red, thx!

More about : overclocking 9950

April 7, 2009 6:49:26 PM

I have a 9950 BE with a Foxconn A7DA board and have barely been able to get 3.175ghz stable. The best route I've seen seems to be to raise the multiplier as high as possible and then raise the FSB. This helps keep the ram stable. You didn't mention what heatsink that you're using, but the cooler you can keep the CPU, the better, as the CPU can heat up fast. The 9950 is a PITA when it comes to overclocking. Right now, I wish I had an ASUS or a Gigabyte board instead, but I don't want to sink more money into the machine.

All that said, you may have just reached the limit of your CPU. There are no guarantees when overclocking and each CPU/motherboard combination is an individual to itself.
April 7, 2009 8:07:51 PM

i got the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler, its keeping this 1 nicely cool, idle 30 under load 100% is about 45c, but im getting liquid cooling sooon, the funny thing i have seen with this cpu, so far is it just wont push past 3.1 at all its like it hits a brick wall, gigabytes a good brand, i would never recomend asus personally, ive had so many mobos from them, *** my friend just bought a 300$ hes had nothing but probs with it giving hijm errors ram running at 600mhz instead of 1066 and all that......
Related resources
April 8, 2009 2:09:57 AM

bump
April 8, 2009 6:27:02 PM

I also have a 9950 and 2 MSI MB's. The DK 790GX plat and the MSI K9A2 with the 790x. I was using the latter with my 9950. I had about the same results as everyone else has posted. 3.2 was the highest i got stable. but 3.0 was the highest I would leave it at as I was using stock cooler. The phenom just doesn't OC as well as we all would like. I have a P II now and its great. If you love AMD as I do I would put the money out for one :)  laterz
April 9, 2009 9:09:56 AM

thx, but yeah im seeing that i got 3.1 but it got hotter and then 3.2 aint happening for me, so abck to 3.0 i got a new cooler im switching to liquid soon, but i aint got the money to dish for phenom II but if i get a job down the road after fixing up my dirtbike im sure to be buying a 940 :) 
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 9, 2009 10:53:29 AM

My 9950BE 125W was rock solid at 3.2G = Mem Clk 200mhz X 16X multi X 1.4250V Vcore, memory slot voltage and timings have to be set manually to factory spec requirements or your OC won't get there, HT = 2.0G.

FYI the 9950BE is just as good an OCer on air cooling as the PII940, meaning you can get a solid 600mhz increase from her, difference being the 9950 starts out at 2.6G and the PII940 at 3.0G, but both will give you 600mhz on air before heat becomes a problem.

At least thats my experience with both CPUs.
April 9, 2009 4:45:34 PM

Octane said:
*** my friend just bought a 300$ hes had nothing but probs with it giving hijm errors ram running at 600mhz instead of 1066 and all that......

I suspect your friend is running into a common error when reading the ram. The ram speed needs to be doubled, its DDR2, not DDR. The result is that if he's reading 600mhz, its really 1200mhz, well over the rated 1066mhz. He needs to dial the ram back a notch in speed.

I did run into a lot of trouble with some boards from ASUS awhile back, but the last two boards have been great. Went through three A8N32-SLI Deluxe boards before getting a fourth that worked. Ryan should remember those times pretty good. But my Rampage Formula and Rampage II Extreme have bee jewels to work with.

Hi there Ryan. Long time no see. Then again, I've been out traveling the world. What board are you running with the 9950 BE?
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 9, 2009 9:53:07 PM

sailer said:
I suspect your friend is running into a common error when reading the ram. The ram speed needs to be doubled, its DDR2, not DDR. The result is that if he's reading 600mhz, its really 1200mhz, well over the rated 1066mhz. He needs to dial the ram back a notch in speed.

I did run into a lot of trouble with some boards from ASUS awhile back, but the last two boards have been great. Went through three A8N32-SLI Deluxe boards before getting a fourth that worked. Ryan should remember those times pretty good. But my Rampage Formula and Rampage II Extreme have bee jewels to work with.

Hi there Ryan. Long time no see. Then again, I've been out traveling the world. What board are you running with the 9950 BE?

Hey Sailer, good to see you still around too man!

Well M/B wise I jumped in the deep end of the pool as far as money is concerned its the ASUS Crosshair II Formula M/B, its been a great M/B so far and a serious learning experience, from all the fine tune tweaking you can do with it, its got serious in depth memory tweaking capability.

I definitely remember the past ASUS bad days, but after the 2nd RMA that A8N32-SLI Deluxe Moherboard hasn't quit yet, ASUS finally did fix the problem, I have to give them that.

So you've been traveling the world Eh? Sounds Awesome! Sailing all the way?

So where'd you go man?
April 11, 2009 1:53:49 AM

Hi Ryan.

I went to Korea, then on to Hong Kong. From there I went over land to Chen Tsen, Chung Shaw, and Beijing, with a couple side trips including the Great Wall. Manged to get a couple marriage proposals, from women wanting out and a green card, I'd guess. I learned a lot more then I'd have ever guessed about modern China. That place has become a capitalist's dream. If old Mao could be brought back to life, he'd probably have a stroke and die before he got any words out of his mouth. Some of his relatives even own a national restaurant chain, the Maojia Restaurants. Talk about irony.

Talk about deep end motherboards, I have a Rampage Formula and a Rampage II Extreme in a couple of my computers. Lots of money, but they're a dream to work with. Put a Foxconn in under my 9950 BE just to be different, but it hasn't overclocked all that well. Keep getting mobo errors. Don't know if I'll change the motherboard or just accept the 3.1ghz limit. I've tried a 16x200 at 1.44v, but the board isn't stable enough. The chip is nice and cool even at 1.44v, but the board is a no-go.
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 11, 2009 3:11:25 PM

///////The chip is nice and cool even at 1.44v, but the board is a no-go.

That may be the case when its idling but the main temp problem with the 9950 is its temp threshold of 61c, and with all 4 cores pumping data it can reach its threshold sometimes quick and when it does it crashes.

It takes a good after market cooler to keep her cool when she's cranked up to 1.45V, I don't think the stock cooler has gotten anyone there but I stand corrected if they have.

When you say the chip is nice and cool what temps are we talking?

Sailer these are just my observances with my setups characteristics, its in no way instructions for your OC OK, every CPU OCs differently anyway, but higher OCs could have been attained by everyone if AMD had set the temp threshold a little higher than the 9950s 61c.
April 11, 2009 7:57:05 PM

I've got a TRUE mounted on the 9950BE and the temp with all four cores loaded at 100% runs about 47c according to Coretemp when the chip is at 3.1ghz. So temperature wise, I think the chip should be able to handle it. Bumping it up to 3.2ghz hasn't increased the temp, but the computer dies within a couple hours. I've got 4 gig of OCZ ram in it at 820mhz with 1.9v, so that is well in line with its capability, which is 1066mhz using 2.1v. Ram has tested good and is from the same batch that I put in my Intel QX9650 which is running at 920mhz, so I doubt the ram is at fault.

Having tested everything else as best I can, the culprit seems to be the Foxconn board. Though I'm sure I could get a higher clock from an ASUS board, I haven't decided in my mind if its worth the time, money and trouble to change out the board, or just remain content with what is.
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 11, 2009 9:21:47 PM

///////but the computer dies within a couple hours.

Thats extremely unusual, does sound like maybe M/B itself is overheating cause your CPU temps are excellent.
April 11, 2009 9:57:24 PM

Yeah. Foxconn made a big thing about the advantages of its solid capacitors, but my guess is that one of them is a dud.
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 11, 2009 10:23:19 PM

A lot of companies are going to the solid capacitors now, the bulging top was the sure fire way to spot a bad capacitor with the paper core style, but now???

April 11, 2009 11:54:40 PM

Now its a case of, it doesn't work and we can't see any reason why. The blasted thing just froze up again. Microsoft reported that its probably a bad motherboard. Think that maybe the next retirement check will help pay for a new board from ASUS.
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 12, 2009 1:21:09 AM

Is the Foxconn RMAable?
April 12, 2009 4:08:11 AM

Maybe. Can't remember what the terms of warranty are offhand. Will have to look that up. At the same time, I played a lot of musical chairs with those old ASUS boards before I got one that worked. Even if I do RMA the Foxconn, I might go ahead and pick up an ASUS board and use the Foxconn as an emergency replacement or something.
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 12, 2009 12:26:29 PM

Thats what I did with an ASUS, I bought an Epox to replace the ASUS while it was RMAd, got the ASUS back and shelved it for a few months, was so disgusted with the ASUS I didn't care if it worked or not, still works today. LOL

As a matter of fact that was the A8N32-SLI Deluxe M/B.
April 15, 2009 9:47:32 AM

lol well im on air, wont get past 3.0 ghz stock and its very cool, 28c idle, 40c on 100% load for more then 5 mins, and so yeah, i wouldnt worry to much about heat till 55c on 100% but dunno i guess its now pointless to try higher lol :p 
April 15, 2009 5:24:02 PM

Hey, i'm running a 9950 @ 2.9ghz on an Asus M3N72-D board and i CANNOT get it to budge any further. i've got the 125w model, voltage reads@1.39 but i cant raise the multiplier past 14.5 and keep is stable...

Any suggestions? should i try to raise the NB? i haven't touched it yet, or my ram, but thats about all i haven't done yet...

Not sure, just thinking maybe its the NB holding me back since i have the lower powered chip...?

cpu idle's between 28-30c, under load i've never had it go past 44c (using a CM V8)
April 15, 2009 5:25:31 PM

i guess if it would help, it's an nvidia chipset, not an amd one...would that affect my OC'ing at all? since the options are all there...i didn't think so..but i could be wrong..
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 19, 2009 2:31:51 AM

grimsrazor said:
i guess if it would help, it's an nvidia chipset, not an amd one...would that affect my OC'ing at all? since the options are all there...i didn't think so..but i could be wrong..

My Nvidia chipset is allowing the 9950BE to run at 3.2G, multiplier at 16X x 200mhz x 1.4250Vcore

CPU-Z Core VID is reporting 1.250v thats a CPU-Z error the actual Core VID is 1.4250v as stated above.
April 19, 2009 9:05:11 PM

my 750a wont let me do anything close to it. 1.3vcore is as high as it'll go, and on auto, the voltage is @ 1.395v, it still is unstable past that...not sure.
April 21, 2009 3:00:43 PM

I guess that I have been lucky, and Sailer helped talk me into it. I have a 9950be and I got 3.333ghz yesterday. It might could go more but I didn't have the time to play with it. I normally leave it at 3.1ghz for everyday. I have never had to increase the voltage over 1.326. Some of the voltages I see posted are scary. Somewhere I saw some guy had 1.5+ and said that it was having difficulties, no wonder. I always like to see what is the minimum voltage required to run at stock settings then push the OC a bit and only raise the voltage as needed. I get the 3.1 with the vcore at 1.28. and the 3.333 was at 1.326. By the way there is a new version of CPUZ 1.50.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252006-29-personal-ph...

Where did the bookmark button go?
April 23, 2009 2:16:40 PM

I have my 9950BE OC at 2.81GHz on a Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6. Rarely works on 3.01GHz. Sometimes it crashing and sometimes work no more than 3.01. what should I do to improve this frequency? is someone who know exactly best settings for this MB+CPU? ohh... and if is neccesarely... 4 DDR2 800 at 1GB Kingston HyperX. Thanks for helping me.
April 23, 2009 3:24:55 PM

Hi guys been reading this thread looks like fun Just got my water cooling done for my 9950 still can't even get over 3.0 with mine highest temp right now are only like 42c . Voltage doesn't seem to matter been as high as 1.4 no luck will run but very unstable.

I have it on a older 780g asus board which I think is my problem. What do you guys recommend for volt settings for the motherboard and such it's a water cooled north and south bridge so temps are not a problem.

Also thinking maybe it's vista 64 am heard it's harder on overclocks anyone had this happen? Reloaded fresh last night so going to try some more today.
!