Finding particular enemy types

Some patrol missions are pretty easy - Skulls and Clockwork
can be found pretty much anywhere. Any Circle of Thorns
are easy to find in Perez Park, for example. But last night
I had two missions in King's Row - one for the Lost, and
one for Circle of Thorns. After tramping across almost the
entire map, we eventually found some Lost. But despite waiting
til midnight, then scrambling up buildings and looking around
(I have neither flight or jump powers yet), I couldn't find any
Thorns.

Am I just unlucky, or is there some knowledge I don't have
yet? Am I supposed to know where to find these character
types or is it meant to be trial and laborious error?

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"Suppose conventional wisdom to be a forest. I am chainsaw. You
are squirrels."

The COT in Kings Row are found north and west of the Tram. There is a spawn
spot behind the building as you head west from the tram. They are on roof
tops in that area as well. The best place to find them is to head north
from the tram until you reach the road before the wall, head west until you
reach a bridge.

There are COT, Lost, Vaz, Skulls, Trolls, Clockwork, etc in the blocks north
and south of that bridge.

"Mike Carlson" <mikecarlson@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message

> The COT in Kings Row are found north and west of the Tram. There is a
> spawn spot behind the building as you head west from the tram. They are
> on roof tops in that area as well. The best place to find them is to head
> north from the tram until you reach the road before the wall, head west
> until you reach a bridge.
>
> There are COT, Lost, Vaz, Skulls, Trolls, Clockwork, etc in the blocks
> north and south of that bridge.

Thanks.... but I guess the point of my post was - not where to find
them, but how am I meant to know? For example, did you find them through
trial or error, or by asking on broadcast, or some other way?

Cheers,

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"I have no taste for either poverty or honest labour, so writing
is the only recourse left for me."

Paul Moloney <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Mike Carlson" <mikecarlson@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
>
>> The COT in Kings Row are found north and west of the Tram. There is a
>> spawn spot behind the building as you head west from the tram. They are
>> on roof tops in that area as well. The best place to find them is to head
>> north from the tram until you reach the road before the wall, head west
>> until you reach a bridge.
>>
>> There are COT, Lost, Vaz, Skulls, Trolls, Clockwork, etc in the blocks
>> north and south of that bridge.
>
>Thanks.... but I guess the point of my post was - not where to find
>them, but how am I meant to know? For example, did you find them through
>trial or error, or by asking on broadcast, or some other way?

There are a lot of fan websites with this info.
http://www.vidotmaps.com/coh/ has extensive maps with spawn info on
them, but they seem to be having problems right now (can't get the page
to come up -- try later.)

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Some patrol missions are pretty easy - Skulls and Clockwork
>can be found pretty much anywhere. Any Circle of Thorns
>are easy to find in Perez Park, for example. But last night
>I had two missions in King's Row - one for the Lost, and
>one for Circle of Thorns. After tramping across almost the
>entire map, we eventually found some Lost. But despite waiting
>til midnight, then scrambling up buildings and looking around
>(I have neither flight or jump powers yet), I couldn't find any
>Thorns.

CoT spawn in specific spots not really at random.
After enough CoT killing you'll know exactly where they spawn and will
wonder why you once considered them so hard to find.

Just northwest of the trainer there are several rooftops that usually
have CoT on them at night.
A bit sw of the train there is another building.
Underneath the bridge at the north end.

>Am I just unlucky, or is there some knowledge I don't have
>yet? Am I supposed to know where to find these character
>types or is it meant to be trial and laborious error?

Trial and error, exploring and asking in broadcast.
I've answered literally hundreds (if not thousands) of "where can I find
lost/cot in KR" questions.

The biggest problem was convincing the ex-EQ players that camping the
spawn STOPPED the spawn so they were making them permanently unavailable
as they sat there at the spawn point.

Yes, some particularly dense ex-EQ types literally sat and waited for
hours for a CoT spawn they were preventing from happening, but they of
course "knew best" because obviously all games work exactly like EQ.

That of course just made me look for more spawn points, which I did not
share with these dolts.

Xocyll

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:49:54 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> scribed into the ether:

>Some patrol missions are pretty easy - Skulls and Clockwork
>can be found pretty much anywhere. Any Circle of Thorns
>are easy to find in Perez Park, for example. But last night
>I had two missions in King's Row - one for the Lost, and
>one for Circle of Thorns. After tramping across almost the
>entire map, we eventually found some Lost. But despite waiting
>til midnight, then scrambling up buildings and looking around
>(I have neither flight or jump powers yet), I couldn't find any
>Thorns.
>
>Am I just unlucky, or is there some knowledge I don't have
>yet? Am I supposed to know where to find these character
>types or is it meant to be trial and laborious error?

Usually the mission instructions will tell you places to find these things.

I'm not sure why Lost and CoT in KR are so difficult to locate, they are
extremely abundant.

Lost are all along the bottom of the zone on the road that runs the breadth
of the south wall. They are also very common in the northeast corner (not
the very top near the Galaxy City gate, the other northeast corner) in the
Royal Refinery area.

CoT are found in great quantity on rooftops in The Gish. They can also
spawn other places, even on the ground sometimes, but roofs in the Gish is
best. If you have Combat Jumping or Hover, they are quite easy to search.
Otherwise, a little sleight of hand trickery is in order, since climbing
buildings without those two abilities can be a real nuisance.

Put the camera looking straight down, or nearly so, and make use of the
/camdist command to set your viewing distance to about 400 feet or so
(beyond max zoom using the mouse wheel) so that you can see rooftops from
street level. That lets you pick out the winning roofs without having to
climb up a dozen dry holes.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:49:54 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Some patrol missions are pretty easy - Skulls and Clockwork
>>can be found pretty much anywhere. Any Circle of Thorns
>>are easy to find in Perez Park, for example. But last night
>>I had two missions in King's Row - one for the Lost, and
>>one for Circle of Thorns. After tramping across almost the
>>entire map, we eventually found some Lost. But despite waiting
>>til midnight, then scrambling up buildings and looking around
>>(I have neither flight or jump powers yet), I couldn't find any
>>Thorns.
>>
>>Am I just unlucky, or is there some knowledge I don't have
>>yet? Am I supposed to know where to find these character
>>types or is it meant to be trial and laborious error?
>
>Usually the mission instructions will tell you places to find these things.
>
>I'm not sure why Lost and CoT in KR are so difficult to locate, they are
>extremely abundant.
>
>Lost are all along the bottom of the zone on the road that runs the breadth
>of the south wall. They are also very common in the northeast corner (not
>the very top near the Galaxy City gate, the other northeast corner) in the
>Royal Refinery area.

Not all along the south wall, really only the eastern half. What I've
always said when someone asks in broadcast is "along the entire _east_
wall, from the refinery to the south wall and part way along the south
wall.

Most people either go straight for the south wall or for the refinery,
ignoring the ones on the east wall at the south end behind the
buildings. This can be great since it means _I_ don't have to wait. :)

CoT have specific spawn points, BUT they won't spawn if something else
is already there (like clockwork who share some of the same spawn
points) so if someone hangs about waiting and doesn't kill the clocks,
the cot don't come.

Xocyll

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:17:51 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> scribed into the ether:

>"Mike Carlson" <mikecarlson@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
>
>> The COT in Kings Row are found north and west of the Tram. There is a
>> spawn spot behind the building as you head west from the tram. They are
>> on roof tops in that area as well. The best place to find them is to head
>> north from the tram until you reach the road before the wall, head west
>> until you reach a bridge.
>>
>> There are COT, Lost, Vaz, Skulls, Trolls, Clockwork, etc in the blocks
>> north and south of that bridge.
>
>Thanks.... but I guess the point of my post was - not where to find
>them, but how am I meant to know? For example, did you find them through
>trial or error, or by asking on broadcast, or some other way?

Mission text tells you, and part of the purpose of street sweeping missions
is to GET YOU TO EXPLORE.

I just went around and checked the city out, without worrying about how
fast I was getting those kills.

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Am I just unlucky, or is there some knowledge I don't have
> yet? Am I supposed to know where to find these character
> types or is it meant to be trial and laborious error?

1) Get the Vidiotmaps update. It lists foe types and levels on the maps
(some of which you have to clear and some of which can be seen through the
fog).

2) Check this web site:

http://members.cox.net/arianeb/index1.html?coh.htm

And check the other links from HEROICA! as well.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.... but I guess the point of my post was - not where to find
> them, but how am I meant to know? For example, did you find them
> through trial or error, or by asking on broadcast, or some other way?

Generally, when a contact gives you missions, they'll suggest specific
areas of a zone to look. It's up to you to find those zones. You can also
ask - if you're polite and use the Request channel, you'll usually get a
prompt and helpful answer.

A lot of the game is "to be discovered" or "to be shared." Too much, maybe.
Hence the improved maps and helpful web sites.

--

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

> I'm not sure why Lost and CoT in KR are so difficult to locate, they are
> extremely abundant.
>
> Lost are all along the bottom of the zone on the road that runs the
> breadth
> of the south wall. They are also very common in the northeast corner (not
> the very top near the Galaxy City gate, the other northeast corner) in the
> Royal Refinery area.

It varies. I've spent an hour looking for Lost (in apparently all the wrong
places). Then last night I come on as one of my scrappers at his next door
mission and there's Lost right there. I got 3, then took out some Vaz (I
really don't like Vaz) and the spot respawned and I got 2 more. Then I went
and did the door mission. I finished off the 10 lost I needed within, say,
15 minutes after that.

The Lost seem to have a psychology of where they hang out. I find them most
in open spots like parks or wide walkways. They don't seem fond of regular
city streets, highways or residential areas.

> CoT are found in great quantity on rooftops in The Gish. They can also
> spawn other places, even on the ground sometimes, but roofs in the Gish is
> best. If you have Combat Jumping or Hover, they are quite easy to search.
> Otherwise, a little sleight of hand trickery is in order, since climbing
> buildings without those two abilities can be a real nuisance.

Overpasses, rooftops and the occasional back yard. If you're a little
tougher, there's a little corner of Steel Canyon too. If I cna just hunt
generic Cot, I always prefer KR. No Madness Mages. They're a pain in the
butt.

> Put the camera looking straight down, or nearly so, and make use of the
> /camdist command to set your viewing distance to about 400 feet or so
> (beyond max zoom using the mouse wheel) so that you can see rooftops from
> street level. That lets you pick out the winning roofs without having to
> climb up a dozen dry holes.

....so other people besides me hate climbing fire escapes? :)

I have had varied success using jump to get up buildings. It really only
works on the tenement buildings because they have lots of little protrusions
to get a hold of. I haven't mastered the trick yet, but it can be done.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
lmpact (F), Level 17 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:17:51 +0100, Paul Moloney <paul_moloney@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks.... but I guess the point of my post was - not where to find
> them, but how am I meant to know? For example, did you find them through
> trial or error, or by asking on broadcast, or some other way?

It's up to you. You can explore the zone and piece together the
information yourself, or you can ask more seasoned players. I've found
out some, overheard some in broadcast, and passed it on to anyone who
asked. It is a multiplayer game, after all, at least if you want it to be.

good sign." -G

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> The Lost seem to have a psychology of where they hang out. I find
> them most in open spots like parks or wide walkways. They don't seem
> fond of regular city streets, highways or residential areas.

All foes have their preferred areas, some quite specific. Council, for
example, are almost always "recruiting" along populated roadways. (Striga
is an exception; there, they're guarding their bases and checkpoints as
well as running loose in the streets.) Lost are similar but can be found in
parking lots and alleys as well. Vahz do their dirty work in alleys and
behind buildings. The various gangs have subtle but consistent rules about
where they hang.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= Mr Cellophane: Level 25 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> CoT have specific spawn points, BUT they won't spawn if something else
> is already there (like clockwork who share some of the same spawn
> points) so if someone hangs about waiting and doesn't kill the clocks,
> the cot don't come.

A, uh, watched COT never boils?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= Mr Cellophane: Level 24 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:16:56 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
into the ether:

>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

>> Put the camera looking straight down, or nearly so, and make use of the
>> /camdist command to set your viewing distance to about 400 feet or so
>> (beyond max zoom using the mouse wheel) so that you can see rooftops from
>> street level. That lets you pick out the winning roofs without having to
>> climb up a dozen dry holes.
>
>...so other people besides me hate climbing fire escapes? :)
>
>I have had varied success using jump to get up buildings. It really only
>works on the tenement buildings because they have lots of little protrusions
>to get a hold of. I haven't mastered the trick yet, but it can be done.

With Combat Jumping, it's ridiculously easy. I can scale buildings in KR
lightning fast. Without, or in places like Steel Canyon, it's quite a bit
more difficult. Fortunately, there is barely any reason at all to go roof
climbing in Steel Canyon. Some Defeat-X clockwork missions is it, and those
are short roofs.

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:58:31 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> CoT have specific spawn points, BUT they won't spawn if something else
>> is already there (like clockwork who share some of the same spawn
>> points) so if someone hangs about waiting and doesn't kill the clocks,
>> the cot don't come.
>
>A, uh, watched COT never boils?

Any watched spot in CoH never boils, actually. Built into the code. Stuff
doesn't spawn where heroes are. Occasionally it will despawn, but rarely
even that.

It's the opposite of the tree in the forest...stuff only happens when
nobody is around to see it.

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:16:49 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:49:54 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
>><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>>Some patrol missions are pretty easy - Skulls and Clockwork
>>>can be found pretty much anywhere. Any Circle of Thorns
>>>are easy to find in Perez Park, for example. But last night
>>>I had two missions in King's Row - one for the Lost, and
>>>one for Circle of Thorns. After tramping across almost the
>>>entire map, we eventually found some Lost. But despite waiting
>>>til midnight, then scrambling up buildings and looking around
>>>(I have neither flight or jump powers yet), I couldn't find any
>>>Thorns.
>>>
>>>Am I just unlucky, or is there some knowledge I don't have
>>>yet? Am I supposed to know where to find these character
>>>types or is it meant to be trial and laborious error?
>>
>>Usually the mission instructions will tell you places to find these things.
>>
>>I'm not sure why Lost and CoT in KR are so difficult to locate, they are
>>extremely abundant.
>>
>>Lost are all along the bottom of the zone on the road that runs the breadth
>>of the south wall. They are also very common in the northeast corner (not
>>the very top near the Galaxy City gate, the other northeast corner) in the
>>Royal Refinery area.
>
>Not all along the south wall, really only the eastern half.

No, it's all along. In the southwest corner there's the little open-air
covered warehouse area (which is also a Paladin construction spawn point)
which has 5 or 6 different "nodes" which can and frequently do spawn Lost
clusters. They are also spread out along the street itself in between.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> No, it's all along. In the southwest corner there's the little
> open-air covered warehouse area (which is also a Paladin construction
> spawn point) which has 5 or 6 different "nodes" which can and
> frequently do spawn Lost clusters. They are also spread out along the
> street itself in between.

Yes, you can clear most Lost street hunts by patrolling from this site to
the center of the South wall and back a time or two.

For Ghu's sake, though, never ask where to find the Lost when a smartass is
on. Or worse, a pack of them.

--

Matt Frisch wrote:

> Any watched spot in CoH never boils, actually. Built into the code. Stuff
> doesn't spawn where heroes are. Occasionally it will despawn, but rarely
> even that.

It may be meant to do that, but I've seen things spawn in right on top of
my team before now.

--
John Parkinson

John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> Any watched spot in CoH never boils, actually. Built into the code. Stuff
>> doesn't spawn where heroes are. Occasionally it will despawn, but rarely
>> even that.
>
>It may be meant to do that, but I've seen things spawn in right on top of
>my team before now.

I'm guessing you were moving rather rapidly at the time.

I've seen it happen with super speed quite a bit - the game checks the
spawn and finds it clear, then spawns a group, only by the time they
appear, a fast mover has gotten within the "no spawn" radius and gets
thumped.

Ditto with super jump with the added fun of being _above_ them and out
of range when it checks to spawn and falling into the middle when they
do spawn.

Never had it happen to me when just running around without a travel
power - even crossing most of the hollows at low level.

Never understood why so many people whine and bitch about getting
stomped in the hollows, it's _easy_ to manoeuver around spawns in most
cases. Course it means you have to zig-zag a bit, but better that then
a straight line to death.

Xocyll

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:16:49 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> CoT have specific spawn points, BUT they won't spawn if something else
> is already there (like clockwork who share some of the same spawn
> points) so if someone hangs about waiting and doesn't kill the clocks,
> the cot don't come.

Not to mention that CoT in most of KR only come out at night, although
they stay on into the day if you have or could have seen them. (I'm not
sure if the bridge CoT can spawn in daylight too, but the roof and
backyard CoT don't.)

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:16:49 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> CoT have specific spawn points, BUT they won't spawn if something else
>> is already there (like clockwork who share some of the same spawn
>> points) so if someone hangs about waiting and doesn't kill the clocks,
>> the cot don't come.
>
>Not to mention that CoT in most of KR only come out at night, although
>they stay on into the day if you have or could have seen them. (I'm not
>sure if the bridge CoT can spawn in daylight too, but the roof and
>backyard CoT don't.)

They can, since it's dark under there.

Er well, I don't know for sure if they'll spawn under there in the
daytime, but they will still be there in daylight unlike most of the
other spawn points.

Xocyll

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:17:51 +0100, Paul Moloney <paul_moloney@hotmail.com>

>> Thanks.... but I guess the point of my post was - not where to find
>> them, but how am I meant to know? For example, did you find them through
>> trial or error, or by asking on broadcast, or some other way?

> It's up to you.

Ok, cheers. As I said, I couldn't figure out from the game
whether this was something to figure out for myself, or if
I was missing some information somewhere.

Like stores: I've only played up 'til level 11 so far, and I'd tried
various stores and wasn't allowed to enter. I figured they were
simply mission areas, until I read that, no, at some point you're
allowed to enter to buy items.

I finally found some Crown of Thorns to bash on two pieces
of wasteground near the station. I never did see any on the roofs
(since I'm pavement-bound, I kept looking for the green glow
that people mentioned, but with no luck. Roll on Super Jump.)

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"You know, I go to the theatre to be entertained. I don't want
to see plays about rape, sodomy and drug addiction...I can get
all that at home."

Xocyll wrote:

>>It may be meant to do that, but I've seen things spawn in right on top of
>>my team before now.
>
> I'm guessing you were moving rather rapidly at the time.

Nope, not at all.

We were sneaking around the side of another spawn and as the guy leading
the way moved ahead (only sprinting, he was lvl 8) a spawn appeared right
on top of him and just infront of me and the rest of the group.

--
John Parkinson