suneet302

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I ve a Dell studio which has only c drive & a d recovery drive. I want to make a couple more drives so that I can segregate the data. Can anybody help???

You are wanting to partition your current drive or add more drive space?

If you are wanting to split your current drive space you can use a program such as partition commander to do that. Otherwise if you are trying to add more space you will need to know if your system supports IDE drives or SATA drives.

SATA is preferred but if you only have and IDE port that will still work fine. Open your case and look for these:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2007/2387/p6ngm_sata.jpg

The blue ones are what you are looking at but yours could be an array of different colors. If you don't see these ports then you will be using the IDE ports.

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

Once you find the port you have then you need to purchase the drive with that port connection and pick the size you need. Shut down your pc and unplug the power cable. Touch the side of the case to discharge and static electricity before you touch any components as this will take out the device it discharges on if you don't.

Mount your drive in the appropriate bay in your case using the 4 screws that should come with your new hard drive. Connect the power cable from your power supply to the hard drive and then the data cable (should come with your drive as well) unless you use the IDE and you can connect to the secondary port on your existing IDE cable connected to your primary hard drive. IDE drives require you to set the jumper pins on the primary drive to master and the new secondary drive to slave to work properly.

SATA drives don't require this. Reboot your PC and you can format your new drive with the CD that should come with the new drive so your operating system can use it.

Without fully understanding what you are asking I explained the two ways to go to make it easy for you. Feel free to ask if you have more questions...

TRENDING THREADS