Closed

Official Benchmarks: Radeon 4850/70 PWNAGE! (Anand does it!)

181 answers Last reply
More about official benchmarks radeon 4850 pwnage anand
  1. dattimr said:

Bah, ya beat me to it.

Isn't really a beating, but if you add Bang/buck ratios on it, its a very nice option to have. Probably going to my next rig. Or the 4870..dunno yet.
  2. Oh, man! It beats GTX280 in some tests and catch up in the others! But yours is exactly the point: price/performance (a.k.a e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g)

:pt1cable:
  3. they are comparing TWO 4800s to ONE GTX280... not a real good comparison there. Even the 3870x2 is close to a single GTX280. stop posting fanboy crap from biased hardware review sites. AMD is dying they just dont know it yet... Hector forgot to read the memo. I hate a lone intel senario prices gonna fly through the roof. On a side note i hate seeing ATI dragged down by AMD , that has to be the biggest Corporate blunder in history for a company.
  4. hacker91 said:
    they are comparing TWO 4800s to ONE GTX280... not a real good comparison there. Even the 3870x2 is close to a single GTX280. stop posting fanboy crap from biased hardware review sites. AMD is dying they just dont know it yet... Hector forgot to read the memo. I hate a lone intel senario prices gonna fly through the roof. On a side note i hate seeing ATI dragged down by AMD , that has to be the biggest Corporate blunder in history for a company.

lol. Funny when you talk about "fanboyism" while being a fanboy, heh? Besides, I haven't seen any "bias" evidence in there: does it simply hurts your green heart? I'm going for an INTEL rig and 2 4850s or 4870s, BUT, that's just ME. If you don't mind spending 600$ bucks when two 200$ cards can give you the same or better performance then it's YOUR problem. You don't need to troll just because 2 mainstream cards beat the supreme-launch-of-all-time.
  5. Sorry. Forgot to tell you: the comparison is *absolutely* valid, since two of those cards cost less than one GTX 280.

:hello:
  6. Ehm, hacker, when you consider the price of 2 4850's, it's still cheap.

In fact, although nVidia continued on monolythic GPUs, AMD adopted using lots of average GPUs to achieve the same performance.

nVidia can't scale as easy as AMD/ATi, as they need to create a new mask and new design for each level of GPU.

But in case of AMD/ATi, all they have to do is, an architecture which can be scaled just by adding more of the GPUs on the board or system, which is quite cost effective.

If in the x2 versions of these cards, AMD manages to share the framebuffer as a whole, then, it's the real threat to nVidia.
  7. hacker91 said:
    they are comparing TWO 4800s to ONE GTX280... not a real good comparison there. Even the 3870x2 is close to a single GTX280. stop posting fanboy crap from biased hardware review sites. AMD is dying they just dont know it yet... Hector forgot to read the memo. I hate a lone intel senario prices gonna fly through the roof. On a side note i hate seeing ATI dragged down by AMD , that has to be the biggest Corporate blunder in history for a company.

You make a good point hacker...the 3870x2 isnt far behind the gtx280, 2 8800gt in sli are very nearly the same as the gtx280...AND... Two 4850 can pretty much beat it.

The point is that all of the above are significantly cheaper than the gtx280.

Running a single gtx280 really is looking like a foolish thing to do at the moment.
  8. dattimr said:
    lol. Funny when you talk about "fanboyism" while being a fanboy, heh? Besides, I haven't seen any "bias" evidence in there: does it simply hurts your green heart? I'm going for an INTEL rig and 2 4850s or 4870s, BUT, that's just ME. If you don't mind spending 600$ bucks when two 200$ cards can give you the same or better performance then it's YOUR problem. You don't need to troll just because 2 mainstream cards beat the supreme-launch-of-all-time.

Sure 2 cards for $500 to get near a single card solution that costs $600 (Probably will drop fast) and sometimes beats it isn't a bad idea. Of course you have to have a more expensive motherboard with Crossfire support, you also need a more powerful power supply to handle the additional cards. Your computer will then draw more power, costing you more money on your electricity. Your case will also run hotter, possibly hurting and OCing performance on your CPU or GPUs.

So actually you are going to spend just as much money on your Crossfire solution when a single card solution is just simpler. For an extra $50 get a good aftermarket cooler on your single card solution and OC it.

And once these cards launch and nVidia sees that the ATI cards are pretty close to the GT200 cards, they prices will fall accordingly.
  9. From the page you link:

"3DMark06 is the very latest version of the “Gamers Benchmark” from FutureMark. "

Right-o.

Still, good numbers in the gaming benchmarks, but it is a shame that these didn't include AA and AF - again they just fall back on Vantage and 3DMark 06.

I'm still more interested in the 4870X2.
  10. Quote:
    And 4850 is 190$, lol.
    I wouldnt count on that price. With 4870s a few weeks behind the 4850s and with if that type of performance shown by Tweaktown review holds up you'll be lucky to get your hands on any 4850 below $250.
  11. over the last year or so ATI/AMD has had to sandwich two radeon's to equal the performance of a single Nvidia card but they have done an excellent job of it and pricing them at an undercut. They are trying the same with their Phenoms with slightly less success for the simple fact Phenoms lack the overclock factor the Core's do. If the 280GTX was priced around 450 it would be a good deal and tempt folks into getting two in SLI and slapping all other cards around.
  12. deuce271 said:
    Sure 2 cards for $500 to get near a single card solution that costs $600 (Probably will drop fast) and sometimes beats it isn't a bad idea. Of course you have to have a more expensive motherboard with Crossfire support, you also need a more powerful power supply to handle the additional cards. Your computer will then draw more power, costing you more money on your electricity. Your case will also run hotter, possibly hurting and OCing performance on your CPU or GPUs.

So actually you are going to spend just as much money on your Crossfire solution when a single card solution is just simpler. For an extra $50 get a good aftermarket cooler on your single card solution and OC it.

And once these cards launch and nVidia sees that the ATI cards are pretty close to the GT200 cards, they prices will fall accordingly.

GTX 280: 649$ at Newegg.
    4850: 199$ at Amazon. 2x = 398$. (EDIT: it seems that that link is gone as of now)

It's quite a difference for me. Yeah, you're right about the "dual-gpu-solution" thing, however, I like the approach. I guess they are a lot better than they were some months ago and probably they are just going to improve. Regarding your other points, I haven't seen either data related to the 4850 real power draw nor the noise it produces. Can't make any conclusion right now.

Price drops? Nah. Not until Nvidia shrinks the core. It's damn expensive to produce. Anyway, if you assume a GTX 280 price drop, you can be sure as hell that a 4850/4870 price drop will happen too = same situation as before.
  13. dattimr said:

4850: 199$ at Amazon. 2x = 398$.
    Got a link for us?
  14. It's not particularily impressive. Still behind a single gtx280 overall. While it's much better value compared to gtx280, that's only because the gtx280 is so insanely overpriced. Compared to 2 g92 8800gts in sli, which outperforms both cf 4850 and gtx280 at stock, overclocks better for more performance, as well as cheaper, at $160 each after mir, it's not the best value.

4870 cf is the sweet spot, offering both performance that's high enough to leave the others behind, and decent price.
  15. There were 4850 links on SlickDeals.Net for $190.
    So, Sub $200 is real.

The MSRP for the 4850 is $199 and it's $649 IIRC for the GTX280.

The comparisons are more than Valid.
    Heck you can do 3-way XFire and still save money compared to a GTX280.

I think almost any way you slice it, the GTX48xx series is a failure.
    Very very expensive to produce forcing a very high price relative to performance. I guess if you have $1300 to blow on GPUs, you will get great performance, but that seems a bit silly when you need to spend that much to beat a $400 solution.
  16. deuce271 said:

Hate to break it for ya but most people have the PSU to handle 2xAti cards. In addition most people with C2Q C2D and AMD procs have an Xfire capable board with one nvidia card ... if they already use ati card(s) then of course they would be already have an Xfire board ready for this jump .... Nforce boards are the WORST and Nvidia knows it. This is why they won%u2019t allow anyone else to throw the SLI MCP(which allows your little driver to say OH YOU HAVE SLI ENABLED!!!) on any other board (not counting skulltraill ... because only 1 out of 1000 will buy that CRAP) because if they did allow that no one in their right mind would buy and Nforce board that could only do SLI over an X38 that can do Xfire and sli... not to also mention the x38 performs tenfold on HDD transfers instead of the Nforce's **** capped out 110ish MB/s transfer rate.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 40-20.html
    Yes I know this is a X48 comparison but the results have been the same since Nforce with sata was even an Idea.

Nvidia really messed up with this 280 release its definitely not what I was hoping to see from them. Just IMAGINE what the 4870 is going to do... hell even the 4870 in Xfire or the 4870x2.... this is going to be QUITE interesting .... and BOY has Nvidia pissed me off with this 9800gtx+ BU**SH** they are rereleasing the 9800gtx with "New drivers" that increase its performance but only for the "new" cards... man this whole G92 BS from Nvidia really has me loving them during 8800GT days but now I find myself on the other side of the scale.
  17. zenmaster said:
    There were 4850 links on SlickDeals.Net for $190.

I think almost any way you slice it, the GTX48xx series is a failure.
    Very very expensive to produce forcing a very high price relative to performance. I guess if you have $1300 to blow on GPUs, you will get great performance, but that seems a bit silly when you need to spend that much to beat a $400 solution.

I take it you mean the 2xx series and not this nvidia ati hybrid GTX48XX you are talking about.
  18. cyph0r said:
    I take it you mean the 2xx series and not this nvidia ati hybrid GTX48XX you are talking about.

Good one. :lol:
  19. From the couple benchmarks I've seen comparing the single HD 4850 to the 8800GT 512 I am thrilled that a single 4850 doesn't bench that much better than the 8800GT since I just ordered a 8800GT =P
  20. dagger said:
    It's not particularily impressive. Still behind a single gtx280 overall. While it's much better value compared to gtx280, that's only because the gtx280 is so insanely overpriced. Compared to 2 g92 8800gts in sli, which outperforms both cf 4850 and gtx280 at stock, overclocks better for more performance, as well as cheaper, at $160 each after mir, it's not the best value.

4870 cf is the sweet spot, offering both performance that's high enough to leave the others behind, and decent price.

I somewhat agree with you here. While the G92 sli does brute force it in SOME applications the 4850CF still does lead in most benchies. I would settle to say they are a dead even ..with one being better in the other that the other slacks in.... lol hope that makes since.... and I TOTALY agree if things continue with how they are going the 4870 no matter what the configuration is will be the BEST P/P ratio. Especially if it scales as well as the 4850 and a no brainer if it scales better than the 4850. ATI could have an ace up their sleeve and have ... who knows... tri-CF or quad-CF that ACCTUALLY works... haha... lets just hope that the driver shows up to the party with the card here. Also lets not all forget how ati cards get SO MUCH better as they release more mature drivers. These 4850 benchies could be old news once new drivers hit the webz.
  21. SinisterMessiah said:
    From the couple benchmarks I've seen comparing the single HD 4850 to the 8800GT 512 I am thrilled that a single 4850 doesn't bench that much better than the 8800GT since I just ordered a 8800GT =P

Maybe, but then you are comparing a card that still uses its first released drivers against one that has been tweaked for years. You can expect the GTX 280 to improve too. Anyway, I doubt the 8800GT will perform as well as the 4850 with AA turned ON.
  22. WR2 said:
    Got a link for us?

Amazon pulled it becuase it was a mistake they posted it too early.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9676/amazon_adds_diamond_radeon_hd_4850_to_its_website/index.html
  23. Sorry to break it to you all, but the 4850 isnt quite the top dog.

2 in CF are already matching a GTX280 in most apps. You can say the driver of the GTX280 is going to mature, but so will 4850 Driver. And yes we are talking about 200$ cards. Not 600-650$ dollar cards. There is (at least) a 200$ difference.

The 4870 hasn't show its head, neither the 4870X2. Crossfire is maturing and scaling, better than SLI. Take your time, and let more reviews come. They should appear later today so we can make comparisons.

Talking about a single GPU will the GTX280 win ? Most likely. Price/performance ? We shall see about that. So far Nvidia is 200$ short of it. 200$ is still very nice if you wanna put a bigger HDD, more RAM or give something fancy to your hearts desire. In my case my car. (Just kidding, this month new rings for ma Ms, women are far more expensive than computers trust me).
  24. dattimr said:
    I haven't seen either data related to the 4850 real power draw

There is alil bit of info on the power draw in this review. I am sure that there is more to come. Looks like the 'current' 9800 gtx (who knows what they are planning to do with the driver speed increase that they are claiming) is the 'single' gpu solution that the 4850 is comparable to performance wise.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=579

Best,

3Ball
  25. The 4850 CF benches are very impressive given the price.

This looks very good for the 4870 and the 4870X2. Very good indeed. Looking forward to the benches are further reviews. Methinks a 4870 might be my next gpu.

I laugh at the the fanboy comments about ATI sandwiching two gpu's into one card or needing two cards in CF to meet/match/be slightly ahead of a single GTX280. What's really ironic about it though is it's also fanboys that defend the Intel appraoch of "gluing" two dual cores onto a die to make quad core. Fanboys are sooo fickle! :ouch: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  26. 4850 on sale and in stock even as we speak (ok type) for $279US (or 1695 Swedish Crowns)
  27. WR2 said:
    4850 on sale and in stock even as we speak (ok type) for $279US (or 1695 Swedish Crowns)

Wait for a US Etailer it will be much cheeper
  28. If rumors are true there is one more thing to remember about the new 4780x2's. They are going to be a bit different than the past x2/Gx2's dual GPU cards. Where older generations were pretty much CF/SLI chips on a single card, the 4870x2 is going with out the PCI-E connect board (Kind of like the previously mentioned gluing 2 C2D to get a Quad), in other words they will not need CF support.

They will run games/software as if it is a single chip card, if they can get the shared memory to work as well with DDR 5, we may see the end of monolithic chips. This is all rumored but it is something to think about after seeing the 4850 in CF.
  29. WR2 said:
    4850 on sale and in stock even as we speak (ok type) for $279US (or 1695 Swedish Crowns)

As usual we european eat with the biggest prices. As usual..pfff.

Fack !!!
    Asus Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDDR3 PCI-e 163 €
    http://www.pccomponentes.com/ASUS_RADEON_HD4850_512_MB_GDDR3_PCI_E.html

For 300€ ill have a similar performance to a:

Asus GeForce GTX 280 1GB GDDR3 PCI-e 525€
    http://www.pccomponentes.com/ASUS_GEFORCE_GTX_280_1GB_GDDR3_PCI_E.html
    (no stock on this one btw)

Let me think....525€ or 326€ ? For ruffly the same performance ? Really. If this pricing is real, well, 9800GX2 and 9800GTX are no sell able. Lets wait and see what happens to 3870 and 3850 boards.
  30. Am I the only one seeing a review with almost no useful information? I mean why are you running a dual card solution and not testing the AA/AF performance etc. It looks to me like the GTX280 is solidly trouncing the dual 4850s aside from in some synthetics, World in Conflict, and UT3. In the intense synthetics the GTX280 seems to do better anyhow.

No one is going to drop $400 on two cards for a machine that is going to play without AA or in lower resolutions. There are too many good single card solutions for that purpose. The 4850 looks like a nice budget card and it looks promising for the 4870.

If you read 3Ball's link it has a little bit more interesting benchmarks. I don't see that these cards in crossfire are a better price/performance solution in the high end as they don't look to me like they'll be performing very well in the high end. The GTX280 is going to shine more and more as intensity goes up. These cards are going to be amazing in low intensity situations, but that is an area that simply doesn't matter. Crossfire just doesn't make sense in the low-mid range.
  31. Actually I see the 4850 get a healthy beating -.-

nVidia wont even release a dual-GPU card this time but it will still have the fastest setups on the market...
  32. Other than the Tweaktown review, I haven't read any others... do any of them mention the noise factor of ATI's 4800 series?

The 280 has been compared to a small jet engine.

2 4800's must be fairly loud as well... no??
  33. WR2 said:
    I wouldnt count on that price. With 4870s a few weeks behind the 4850s and with if that type of performance shown by Tweaktown review holds up you'll be lucky to get your hands on any 4850 below $250.

Actually I just bought 2 4850's from FX for $189 each.
  34. http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=579&type=expert&pid=7

New "preview" of the 4850, however, without CrossFire.
  35. vertigo_2000 said:
    Other than the Tweaktown review, I haven't read any others... do any of them mention the noise factor of ATI's 4800 series?

The 280 has been compared to a small jet engine.

2 4800's must be fairly loud as well... no??

My assumption is that they wont be to quiet with those single slot coolers...Im not even considering the 4850, but if I did the single slot cooler would deter me.

Best,

3Ball
  36. Yeah, what about heat, power, noise, etc?

I have a 3870 xfire rig (see sig). I score 18,800 on 3dmark06. The 4850 xfire in the review scored 17,900. Not bad for a mid level card for $200 ea. The 3870 was $250 when it came out.

I personally thinke 2 xfired 4850s for $400 with 50-150FPS on max settings is a better deal than $600 dollars for 10% more FPS.

Well, i like the Intel chipset line anyways, so i am going single big card or xfire anyways. It makes sense for me to go ATI with Intel chipsets supporting Xfire. I am one of the users the reviews conclusion was speaking of.
  37. 3Ball said:
    My assumption is that they wont be to quiet with those single slot coolers...Im not even considering the 4850, but if I did the single slot cooler would deter me.

Best,

3Ball

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4850/22.html

They're still posting the scores, however, the "conclusion" and the noise sections are already finished. The card is damn quiet.
  38. PcPer says the card idles at 76c, it may be quiet, but it gets real hot, it idles at 14% fan speed on auto, that's why its quiet. Hopefully driver revisions will up it to about 30% or higher to keep temps down.
  39. It only wins one or two real benchmarks? The OP should be banned for the title or apply for a job at MSNBC or CNN. While in crossfire it is impressive at the price point it's nothing to get excited about.

I mean will it get 60FPS in AoC at 1900x1200? That's the magic number and until there is a single card solution that can run min FPS of 60 in high-end titles I'm not going to be impressed or satisfied.
  40. http://www.hardware.fr/articles/724-1/preview-ati-radeon-hd-4850.html

This review is based on the Europe pre-launch of the 4850. It's in french if you can read it like me, if not, numbers speeks by themselves! It beats the 260GTX in some games, even with AA filter! impressive. I can't wait to see the tests of the HD4870! I think it could beats the 280GTX in some place, and i'm not speaking of the 4870X2!!

Good job ATI!!
  41. bydesign said:
    It only wins one or two real benchmarks? The OP should be banned for the title or apply for a job at MSNBC or CNN. While in crossfire it is impressive at the price point it's nothing to get excited about.

I mean will it get 60FPS in AoC at 1900x1200? That's the magic number and until there is a single card solution that can run min FPS of 60 in high-end titles I'm not going to be impressed or satisfied.

Sorry, but are we looking at the same card? Well, it's not the best solution performance-wise, but I'm looking at the performance-per-buck ratio. 2 sub-200$ cards performing *CLOSE* to a 650$ one in most benchmarks? It's "bang-for-the-buck pwnage" for me. Perhaps I should chance the title. :ange:
  42. Hmmmnnn i'm not very impressed ... for Crysis 8800GT SLI gives 34 FPS at 1280 and 25 FPS at 1920....compared to 32 and 22 FPS respectively for 4850 CF .... .... and 8800GT SLI costs a good $90 less.

G92 8800GTS SLI gives 38-40 FPS at 1440 too. Thats still $50 cheaper than 4850 CF
  43. I'm surprised.

I'm glad I didn't wait for new cards to be released, my 8800GT 512mb can hold its own for years to come. I don't plan to buy Crysis so I'm good, nor World In Conflict.

Orange Box FTW!! 5 games for $40! HAHAHAHAH
  44. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4850/7.html

Company of Heroes, Far Cry and FEAR scores have been updated.
  45. draxssab said:
    http://www.hardware.fr/articles/724-1/preview-ati-radeon-hd-4850.html

This review is based on the Europe pre-launch of the 4850. It's in french if you can read it like me, if not, numbers speeks by themselves! It beats the 260GTX in some games, even with AA filter! impressive. I can't wait to see the tests of the HD4870! I think it could beats the 280GTX in some place, and i'm not speaking of the 4870X2!!

Good job ATI!!

This is a very good review (showed the single cards that I wanted to see)...I wander what they plan on furthering in their "full" review that they said they will be releasing in the future? Hopefully some 1680x1050 benchies with a few more games. My prefered game setting is 1680x1050 with 4x AA. I have a 20" monitor so with that res and level of AA the picture is very good. I picked that monitor becaue of the high level of pixels per square inch, so that even without AA games look very good, but I still like it! lol

Best,

3Ball
  46. radnor said:
    As usual we european eat with the biggest prices. As usual..pfff.

Yeah sorry Europe. The pricing hurts.
  47. Despite the NV cards being faster for a single card the real issue is the cost of production and the yields.

The new NV dies are massive ... and will cost a fortune to produce ... which must be passed on to the consumer.

The new AMD dies are much smaller, cooler and cheaper to produce.

ATI will kill NV on cost.

To produce cards as X2 or in pairs to compete at a lower cost point will be a deliberate strategy to target NV.

Volumes for AMD will be high so expect the prices to drop.

I'll take 5 thanks ... the kids don't need CF ...
  48. crimsonfilms said:

Yeah when their mid-range cards matches the performance of a card that's more expensive. The 8800GT in the review was also an OC'd one meaning that it's in the same price range as the 4850. The 9800GTX is not viable option any longer once compared to the 4850.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics Product