• New Build
  • Intel
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 5:57:32 PM

Time to ask a question, been building systems since the 8086 days, but this new 775 stuff has me beat!

New and Sealed Intel DQ965GF Motherboard (purchased a while ago, never used project shelved!).
Intel E6700 (HH80557PH0674M s-specs QPGA Engineering Sample)
Intel E6700 HSF
8GB RAM (2xOCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-5400C5 Dual Channel Vista Upgrade Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2VU6674GK))
350 WATT PSU (20 PIN + 4PIN old style)

Firstly, it doesn't boot, POST, make a sound, beep.

Keyboard lights flash briefly when the switch on the PSU is operated, this puzzles me, because I thought this was soft switched by the case, and case switch doesn't work, reset button doesn't work, no case lights.

There are two leds, green and red on the motherboard indicating power is applied to motherboard and memory.

But the odd thing is, Fans on CPU (and on graphics card when added) start and then both stop, and two leds above also go on and off.

As if the PSU is starting, and then shutting down, PSU works okay on P4 3.4GHz Prescott motherboard, but it's only 20 pin, not 24 pin, but Intel manual does say 20 pin is backward compatible. After 30-40 seconds the fans and leds to stay on!

I've removed all the memory and graphics card, and it does the same tries to start and then stops, tries to start and then stops.

Any one like to guess, point me in the right direction. I currently don't have anyway of testing processor, motherboard or memory (unlikely to be memory, as it's been removed!).

Is this possibly bios issue? Intel states the bios must be at 4462, but I've now idea what the motherboard ships with? Motherboard revision is D41676-601.

Thanks

Andypandy

More about : intel dq965gf build boot post

May 30, 2008 6:08:11 PM

I'd say bring it to a shop. its bound to be cheaper than playing thry this, try that.

bios are dated. if the required BIOS isn't at least 6 months before you got the board, it probably doesn't have the bios you need.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 6:39:09 PM

umm, doesn't really help me, no shops local to me, and I'm not taking it to the monkeys in PC World!
Related resources
May 30, 2008 6:43:04 PM

did you clear the bios?
May 30, 2008 6:49:47 PM

sounds like a bad mobo
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 6:53:38 PM

yes, I've cleared the bios, I might try a bios recovery with the latest bios.

Why motherboard, could it be processor or compatible psu or duff processor?
May 30, 2008 7:08:01 PM

you said the case switches aren't functional.

it sounds similar to the problem I had with a new build useing all other know good components (just the mobo and case were new). I could get into the bios after a cmos wipe, but no futher. then the switches stopped working. would imediatly power on once PSU was switched on, even when all case swich jumpers were disconected.

if you don't have a friend with a s775 intel, sounds like your in the position were you have to try buying new components. I'd start with a mobo becasue of the switch thing.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 7:08:46 PM

bit more info, it's definately something to do with PSU trying to start, and stopping, if I add more load, a few hard discs, these start-up and shutdown very quickly.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 7:10:15 PM

case switches don't do anything, not that they don't work, if I use a jumper instead of the case switches, to short the power-on switch, or reset it does the same thing.
May 30, 2008 7:10:36 PM

given that info, a new PSU would be the first thing to try
May 30, 2008 7:12:14 PM

Ok first off. You need a 20/24 pin either or for main power.
Then you need a 4/8 pin either or 12v atx power for your cpu only. (No you cant use the 4pin 5v off the 20/24)
If your psu doest have the 4/8 pin you need a new PSU.

Once you got that figured out, you need to boot with only one stick of ram.
The board probsbly wont post with 4g because default voltage isn't enough. Boot with one stick and set volts for Dram .1-.3 higher then specs. Double check the timings are right as well.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 7:15:00 PM

I've got a 20 pin PSU and 4pin for 12v atx that was taken from a P4 3.4GHz motherboard working.

One stick, four sticks, or no sticks, no post, no boot, no noises, no beeps, only led lights on motherboard.

No lights from on-board connectors, and on-board connectors do not affect operaton of motherboard, e.g. power-on switch does not power-on or power-off motherboard, and reset has no function.

May 30, 2008 7:16:40 PM

plenty of 24 pin mobos can run with a 20 pin plugged in
May 30, 2008 7:17:39 PM

Is the 4 pin plugged in secure?
Did you use the standoffs to mount your motherboard?
If not it could be a short.
Assemble the thing outside the case on cardboard.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 7:19:07 PM

4 pin plug is secured.

I always build with no case first on cardboard, before fitting into case!
May 30, 2008 7:22:42 PM

Where you get the CPU, maybe its been tested and abused, and its no good.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 7:30:05 PM

eBay!!!

or the motherboard bios doesn't support this newer processor - do we think this is a possibility? I don't think this is true anymore, because the first bios shipped with board was 4462 and this supports the processor.

So either duff processor or motherboard, or it doesn't like the OEM Engineering Sample spec QPGA
May 30, 2008 7:35:35 PM

Ima put my money on being its a e sample, someone tested it, and blew it up. Then thought they try to get money for it on Ebay, which its against Intels terms to resell E samples.

I hope you didn't pay much for it and, if you did I hope they had a account that had lots of feedback. If it was a noob with a fairly new account you may be out your money.

Buy yourself a cheap celeron and test with it. Don't buy used compuer parts on Ebay. When people cant get a RMA they dump it on Ebay.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2008 9:23:00 PM

100% feedback in the last 12 months (ebay's new feedback system), 273 +ve feedbacks, no negatives.

Seems genuine. But I hear what your saying.
May 30, 2008 9:33:43 PM

Was it listed as is, or can you get a refund?
June 4, 2008 9:53:25 PM

Whoops, it's me again, I never got an activation email, and then after 48 hours it deleted the original account, so I've waited and activated it this time.

Some more info, it gets more weird.

Yes, I can get a refund from the seller - no problems here if required.

I've now tested the E6700 on an Asus motherboard that a friend has, it works perfectly, and is the original B1 Unlocked version. I tried my friends Pentium 4 3.0GHz (cannot remember the exact model - could be 531) but it is supported by my motherboard.

Exact same problem, as observed with the E6700.

So, I got another Intel DQ965GF motherboard out of the store, brand new, sealed etc just kept in storage at Disaster Recovery site.

I've tested this new board with E6700, Pentium 4 531, and the same condition is observed, so unless I've got two faulty motherboards, it must be the PSU!!!!

What do we think, which is odd because I've tried another three PSUs, but only 20 pin versions, and the supply from my friends computer was one of them.

The Intel manual definately says that 2x10 pin is backwards compatible, but I'm not convinced. I think I need to purchase a new dedicated 24 pin PSU!

Comments?
October 26, 2008 7:45:32 PM

It is a intel's fault

I had been using that motherboard for two years, recently I got some memory errors, so I just quit a memory module and everything fine (only one 512 mb module remains).

I buy two kingtons modules (1x2GB 1.8V KVR800D2N5/1G 1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM ) and the [mobo doesn't boot up]

So, I thought, it wasn't the right memory, and I tried with another memories (brand new ones) and the [mobo doesn't boot up]

DAMN IT !!

Only with the original memory (of 2 years ago) boot up (KVR800D2N5/512 512MB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM ) so I buy some of these, and what happened ? [mobo doesn't boot up]

DAMN IT AGAIN !!, only with the old memory works, no other even the same exact model !!!

After search on the web, I read very rare issues with DQ965GF and memory modules, perhaps updating the bios the problem will be vanished
November 7, 2008 9:46:25 AM

This all sounds very familiar. I have almost identical problem.

I initially repaired customers PC with a new mother baord, Intel DQ965GF, after testing power supply. I am yet to find a dead processor (I don't play overclocking). Now the new motherboard has the same symptoms some 3 months later. The PC is running with an E6600 processor

Press power button - fans start - no post, no beeps and no video - fans stop and start and eventually settle to be always running, but nothing more.

I have tried 2 processors (a 630 and 6600), 2 power supplies, and each of the 2 ram chips in turn.

I am very suspicious of it being a common problem with these motherboards.

Your not alone, and I am very keen to get a solution.

December 11, 2008 2:03:14 PM

PROBLEM RESOLVED !!!! :sol: 

TWO CRUCIAL MEMORIES CT12864AA800 WORK FLAWLESS !!!

NO KINGSTON MEMORY OR OTHER WORKS.

renesigma said:
It is a intel's fault

I had been using that motherboard for two years, recently I got some memory errors, so I just quit a memory module and everything fine (only one 512 mb module remains).

I buy two kingtons modules (1x2GB 1.8V KVR800D2N5/1G 1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM ) and the [mobo doesn't boot up]

So, I thought, it wasn't the right memory, and I tried with another memories (brand new ones) and the [mobo doesn't boot up]

DAMN IT !!

Only with the original memory (of 2 years ago) boot up (KVR800D2N5/512 512MB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM ) so I buy some of these, and what happened ? [mobo doesn't boot up]

DAMN IT AGAIN !!, only with the old memory works, no other even the same exact model !!!

After search on the web, I read very rare issues with DQ965GF and memory modules, perhaps updating the bios the problem will be vanished

November 8, 2009 8:12:07 AM

Hi,
While searching the web I found this post because I have a similar problem.
Green lead on on motherboard, red led flashing while trying to boot. Fans start and stop and then nothing.
I have using this PC daily for years without problem.
The problem started last summer when I came back after 3 weeks of holidays. The PC did not want to start. After a few trials it finally booted up.
Now I have not been using it for a week and it won't start again... This time not at all. If it would be a car, I would say, replace the battery! ;-)
Any hint?
Thanks
December 28, 2010 7:00:29 AM

i have this motherboard too and i have the exact same problem, i think that this motherboard is just a piece of junk, not reliable at all.
i have tried everything possible, and there is no way it will boot or beep or anything, just a sad black screen.
July 20, 2011 10:35:55 AM

i have dq965gf mother board & P4 531 processor. I have the same problem, i tried everything possible but no result. if anyone find solution please inform me to ksrinivasan.pannier@gmail.com
February 12, 2013 3:08:58 AM

I had same problem, the posts for the case switch needs to be temporarily crossed to get the MB to power up (2 red posts just above SATA connecters; there are 4 pins 2 have red at base)) I just put a small screwdriver blade between em & rotate sideways gently to temporarily jump 'em ( all it takes is a click). Hope this helps y'all :D 
!