PSU 4 pin CPU connect + molex adapter for 8pin ATX12V

Hello,

I have a PSU that only has a 4 pin connector for the CPU connector on my motherboard. The motherboard supports 8pin EPS ATX12V, so would it be safe to use a molex male adapter to a 4pin CPU power connector? In other words, making a 4+4 ATX12V using the 4pin connected directly to the PSU and a molex adapter for the other 4 pins. I tried seeing if anyone has done this but I had no luck in finding a similar situation. Is this a safe idea? I want to overclock my cpu so I think the addition 4pins being used would make it more stable.

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about connect molex adapter 8pin atx12v
  1. Sounds like a bad idea. What model PSU, MB, and CPU do you have?
  2. Sorry was busy over the weekend, but here's my specs...

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Intel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

As you can see the PSU says eps12v but newegg messed that part up.. So I guess its not really a good idea to have the 2 4pin rails come from different sources then? I know for a fact that there are adapters from 2 male molex to 8pin ATX12V so I thought it would be possible to try what I was thinking, but I'm not gonna risk it if its never been done before. Besides my cpu isn't too powerful, but I want to overclock it when my build is finished (should be today). People are getting a 100% overclock so I thought having the extra 4pins would make it more stable.
  3. First, there's no way your CPU needs the 8 pins of current, 4 will be plenty even at a massive overclock. As for the adapter, I misundertood -- I thought you were planning to make your own. You've got a good PS, so it should be able to support an adapter, but I still wouldn't do it.
  4. i had a similar problem i just plugged the 4 pin in...but i am only using one core...cant figure out why because ive now got an 8 pin in and still only using 1 core.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Connection CPUs Motherboards Components