Sign in with
Your question

PSU 4 pin CPU connect + molex adapter for 8pin ATX12V

Last response: in Components
July 11, 2008 9:58:00 PM

Hello,

I have a PSU that only has a 4 pin connector for the CPU connector on my motherboard. The motherboard supports 8pin EPS ATX12V, so would it be safe to use a molex male adapter to a 4pin CPU power connector? In other words, making a 4+4 ATX12V using the 4pin connected directly to the PSU and a molex adapter for the other 4 pins. I tried seeing if anyone has done this but I had no luck in finding a similar situation. Is this a safe idea? I want to overclock my cpu so I think the addition 4pins being used would make it more stable.

Thanks!
July 11, 2008 11:51:39 PM

Sounds like a bad idea. What model PSU, MB, and CPU do you have?
July 14, 2008 5:23:26 PM

Sorry was busy over the weekend, but here's my specs...

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Intel Celeron E1200 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

As you can see the PSU says eps12v but newegg messed that part up.. So I guess its not really a good idea to have the 2 4pin rails come from different sources then? I know for a fact that there are adapters from 2 male molex to 8pin ATX12V so I thought it would be possible to try what I was thinking, but I'm not gonna risk it if its never been done before. Besides my cpu isn't too powerful, but I want to overclock it when my build is finished (should be today). People are getting a 100% overclock so I thought having the extra 4pins would make it more stable.
Related resources
July 14, 2008 9:17:32 PM

First, there's no way your CPU needs the 8 pins of current, 4 will be plenty even at a massive overclock. As for the adapter, I misundertood -- I thought you were planning to make your own. You've got a good PS, so it should be able to support an adapter, but I still wouldn't do it.
July 15, 2008 2:09:29 AM

i had a similar problem i just plugged the 4 pin in...but i am only using one core...cant figure out why because ive now got an 8 pin in and still only using 1 core.
!