SATA Hard Drive Crashing, Slow (1 MB/s) Transfer Rate

gtnx

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I've got a WD Caviar Green 1 TB that has been acting up recently. I first noticed the problem when I was trying to download a large file to the drive. It froze Windows and restarted itself.

This is not the drive that my OS is installed to. It's a separate drive for storage.

I tried to run Check Disk with the following parameters: "chkdsk /F /R D:" but it would never complete. At Stage 4, when it was scanning files, it would always crash and restart Windows. Finally, I just ran "chkdsk D:" with no additional parameters and it completed. It told me there were some errors it fixed and I left it at that.

However, the problems were not resolved. Now, the drive is extremely slow. I am in the process of copying everything over to my backup drives, but the max rate is about 1.5 - 2 MB/s. It's been copying for days now, and there's still about 50 hours to go. Once it's finished I am going to try to run WD's Diagnostic Utility on it.

FWIW, I tried SpinRite on it, but it was not able to complete either. I kept getting a Division Overflow Error, and I'm not sure if that's referring to an error in the software or with my drive.

So, all the files are still intact and I can read them fine, although at a very slow rate. I haven't tried to write anything new to it since I'm pretty sure it will crash if I do. I've had this drive for less than a year so it's still covered under warranty, but I am curious to know what the problem is, what caused it, and if there is any fix for it. Would anyone have recommendations on what steps I should take to answer those questions?

r_manic

Administrator
Do send the hard disk back in for warranty. Personally, from what you've written, I think this is a simple case of hard disk failure. At least you were able to back up your data, so make sure to practice regular back-ups from now on!