Fred1965

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
When I boot up a message comes up saying to hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter set up utility becase the SATA primary and secondary drives are not found. Is maybe the drivers lost and can I restore?
Thanks
Fred

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Need a lot more info.

Almost all current OS's have drivers for IDE drives built in - certainly Windows does - so I doubt you have a missing driver problem. But the message you cite sounds like ti comes from the BIOS, not your OS. I suspect you have the boot priority in BIOS Setup set to boot only from the IDE drive, and you don't have one! If you have only SATA drives, ensure that the BIOS is set NOT to try IDE drives in the boot sequence, and must boot from a SATA device. In fact, if you have no IDE devices at all, set your BIOS to Disable the IDE port(s) and use only SATA.

Now, it can get a little confusing in many boards that treat the SATA devices as emulated IDE devices. When doing this, such boards often end up labeling the SATA drives as IDE drives on channels numbered above 1 (0 and 1 are the first two IDE channels for traditional real IDE ports). So watch the port and drive labels to make sure the right ones are enabled and specified as boot drives.