The Intel GMA 950 game compatibility list

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmanden

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Hey its my first post on TH

Many people out there think that the good old Intel GMA 950 cant play any games at all. Well im about to prove you wrong. The last few weeks i have been testing games and running them on my notebook with a GMA 950

If you own a 950 and play a game that is not on the list then please post the game and i will put it on the list when i have time.

And here it is:

Age of emires 2
Age of wonders 2
Airhockey 3D
Aquadelic
Atomic bomberman
Audiosurf
Black and white 2
BMW M3 challenge
Bontago
Call of duty
Carmageddon
Carmageddon 2
Colin Mcrae 2.0
Command and conquer Red alert 2
Command and conquer Tiberian sun
Command and conquer 3
Counter-Strike
Day of defeat
Delta force - Land warrior
Descent 3
DeusEx
Doom
Doom 2
Elf bowling 7
Final Fighter
FlatOut
FlatOut 2
Gene rally
Ghost recon Desert siege
Glest
GTA - San andreas
GTA - Vice City
GTA 3
GTA 2
GTA
G-Tok
Guild Wars
Half-Life 2 + mods
Half-Life + mods
Halo
Hot Wired
I hate clowns
Icy tower
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Kao the kangaroo
Knight online
Legends of might and magic
Madden NFL 08
Manhunt
Matchbox Emergency patrol
Miami powerboat challenge
Morrowind
Nacah
Need for Speed 3 - Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed High Stakes
Need for Speed most wanted
Need for Speed Porsche 2000
Neverball
Neverwinter nights
New York Race
Offroad
OpenlieroX
PAKOON! 2.Many
Peggle
Peggle Extreme
Plasma Pong
Postal 2
Prince of persia the sands of time
RC racers deluxe - Traxxas edition
Re-Volt
Red Faction
Ricochet
Robot Arena
Rolling Assault
Rune + expansion
Sam & max (all episodes)
Soldier of fortune 2
Squishy the starfish
Star wars Jedi knight Jedi academy
Street legal racing
Stunt playground 2
Super bubble pop
Super grand prix
System Shock 2
Tetris
Tetris revolution
The movies
The thing
The typing of the dead
Tomb raider 3
Toribash
Trackmania (all versions)
Tribes 2
Undying
Unreal
Unreal tournament 2004
Warcraft III + Frozen throne
World in conflict
X-Moto

Hope some people might find this useful ^^

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I would find this useful if the GMA 950 could run them at >medium settings @ 1280x800, no AA/AF. Anyways, any GPU upgrade for a laptop, no matter how cheap will beat that living crap out of an integrated solution.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Intels newest integrated solution can "run" Crysis... Doesn't mean it can play it, it can just load the game, maybe run a slide show at min res, settings, etc.

madmanden

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
As long as the game runs and it runs well at low settings its totally fine. Many people dont have the money for an expensive laptop and they still want to play games. All these games can run on the GMA and many of them at highest settings.

I dont care about graphics anymore. Since most new games suck gameplay-wise anyway

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I can find a Dell laptop with 8600GT 256mb for <600 USD at Costco. In fact one of my friends bought it and plays all his games maxed out at 1280x800 like WoW, WC3 FT, etc.

tkidu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
ok......my 10 year old system can run wc3 FT, the minimum requirements are like a 16 mb vid card dumbass

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Well, the GMA 950 isn't exactly a current IGP... by all accounts the X3000 series is definitely a leg up on it if you're determined to go the IGP route.

As far as basic gaming goes... I can't see getting anything less than an Nvidia 9500GS or an ATI 3650... both of those can be found in laptops under $1000.

madmanden

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
No matter what you say there is a lot of people put there with this graphics solution. I dont care if your 8600 (which is a crappy card anyways) runs something with fantastic graphics. And if you think the GMA cards cant play games youre only focussed on newer games graphics and not on gameplay. I have a notebook with a GMA for older games. Also most of the games that cant run on my 8800 GTS runs perfectly on my notebook. At the moment i have 119 games installed on the notebook some of them simply cant run on new computers.

Phodda

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first post.
Just to resolve a problem: my notebook has an Intel GMA 950, and once I've tried to install Prince of Persia - Sands of Time. When finished, I've applied the patch, as usual, but received a message "a problem occured and this program will be closed" or something like that.
You said PoP can be played in an Intel 950.
I'm using Windows XP - SP3.
Thanks a lot.

And, by the way, just add Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil to your list. They work very well in an Intel 950. For sure, I've played both.

Below is Intel's list of compatible games for the GMA 950. Of course it has not been updated in quite a while:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-021400.htm

Here's the list:

Age of Empires III*
The Apprentice*
Asheron's Call: Throne of Destiny*
The Bard's Tale*
Black & White* 2
Championship Manager* 5
City of Villains*
Civilization III: Conquests*
Colin McRae Rally 2005*
Command & Conquer*: The First Decade*
Conflict: Global Terror*
CSI: Miami*
Doom 3*
Doom 3* Resurrection of Evil* Expansion Pack
Dungeon Siege* II
Empire Earth* II
ER*
Fable: The Lost Chapters*
Falcon 4 - Allied Force*
F.E.A.R.*
FIFA 06 Soccer*
Fighting UFO*
Final Fantasy* XI Online
FlatOut*
Ford Racing* 3
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich*
Galactic Civilizations: Dread Lords*
The Godfather*
Guild Wars*
Guild Wars Factions*
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire*
The Incredibles*: Rise of the Underminer*
Juiced*
Knights of Honor*
Law & Order: Criminal Intent*
Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicle*
The Lord of the Rings*: The Battle for Middle-earth*
Madden NFL 06* Details
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight*
Moto GP* Ultimate Racing Technology* 3
The Movies*
Nancy Drew*: Last Train To Blue Moon Canyon*
Nancy Drew*: Secret of the Old Clock*
Need for Speed* Most Wanted Black Edition
Perimeter: Emperor's Testament*
Phlinx To Go*
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Soaked!*
The Sims*: Complete Collection*
The Sims* 2 Holiday Edition
The Sims* 2 Nightlife Expansion Pack
Star Wars* Empire at War*
Star Wars* Republic Commando*
Sudeki*
SWAT 4*
The Suffering: Ties That Bind*
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR* 2005
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR* 2006
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland*
Ultima Online*: Samurai Empire*
Warcraft III: Battlechest*
Warhammer* 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault*
World of Warcraft*
Zoo Tycoon* Complete Collection
Zoo Tycoon* 2: Endangered Species

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
@madmanden you cant play command and conquer 3 with a GMA 950.
i've tried it i have a GMA 950 and cnc3 after about 3 min into the game it crashes. but i have vista so maybe xp is different.

mjohnny

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Off topic

It DOES play on an Intel X3100. ( with all settings set to low ofcourse. Just don't Nuke your opponents because the effects are too great for x3100 to handle)

Haven't tested it on a GMA 950 machine.

T-Rek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Sands of Time runs on the GMA 950 but you need to emulate the T&L in a prog called 3D-Analyze. It's a little tricky tho'. You can't run the PoP.exe directly and if you run the PrinceOfPersia.exe instead it will just ignore your 3D-Analyze settings when this exe launches the actual game exe. Here's a solution that worked for me:

Get 3D-Analyze 2.26 (or any other version that has the 'force hook DLL function'), select the PoP.exe as game.exe, tick 'force sw TnL' and 'force hook DLL' and then click run. You'll get an error box. Don't close this just yet. First go into the game folder and copy the PoP.exe along with any dll files you find to a different folder (copy the ones in the game root folder, NOT the ones in the 3DA-Backup folder). Click OK in the error box, copy the files you backed up BACK into the game root folder. Now you can run PrinceofPersia.exe and play the game, just ignore any error messages. Works good, a little slow sometimes but what the heck.

I got Jade Empire to work with this too. Great app!

Link to 3D-Analyze here:
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/archive/

G

How can you play Doom 3??
i installed, i put it on ultra low everyting just to have a good framerate (15-20fps) and all the caracters are divided by half and like a crapy skin mirror... its just awfull to play doom 3 with this grafical althoug F.E.A.R. plays perfectly at ultra high settings (just turn off Volumtric Lights, Shadows and Light Effect on minimum, and at 1024x768 runs at 18-20 fps, just slows a bit in open areas, and in 800x600 (were im playing) i run at a fantastic 22-25 fps!
Just one Thing! Download the savegame to the second level after the deployment because it crashes at the end of level 1, and when a helicopter passes, but to resolve that without crashing just dont look at the planes, when you listen to one just look down and it wont crash!!! 5 star game on my pc!

nvidia_guy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
That problem with doom 3 is most likely a driver problem which an update should solve. A GMA 950 is comparable to an Nvidia 7000m integrated solution (maybe the GMA 950 is a little slower) which is able to run Doom 3 on 1024*768 with about 25 fps. This is with a amd turion x2 1.9 ghz and 2gb RAM. Although pc's with the GMA 950 normally have lower processor and RAM specs. The point is when the GMA 950 was released, it wasn't totally crappy, agreed now by most standards it is. But it wasn't meant for gaming and therefore such is expected.

minoverta

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I am running the following games on my mac mini (2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram with integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM). Using Bootcamp on Windows XP!

F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. Extraction point
Condemned - Criminal Origins (from the makers of F.E.A.R.) Resolution 800x600, al video settings to medium, without 3D Analyze it runs just fine. In mine opinion graphical the best game that runs on a Intel GMA 950 card.
Max Payne 1 (smooth, everything on high)
Max Payne 2 (idem)
Maffia

There are two more games I would ad to my wish list (I didn't try it).

BioShock :)
Dead Space :)

Aura

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Atlantica Online

This game posts that you need a GEForce or better to play the game. I have the intel 950 and had little problems except for some lag. But now I get what looks like color lightning flashes and I lag out of the game. Wonder if anyone can suggest if I really do need to buy another video card.

Vegetarocks

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I've struggled with the GMA950 for a while now but I have managed to get a few newish (2004 onwards) games to run on my cr*ppy laptop using 3d Analyse or nothng at all. Could people tell me of any newish games that have got running? I get the occasional graphic problem which I've put below:

Sid Meier's Pirates ( couldn't seeing the dancing unless using 3d Analyse)
Civ IV
Red Alert 3 ( very slow - had to do a lot of messing about )
Kings Bounty
Neverwinter Nights 2
Braid ( doesn't really count!)
Sins of a Solar Empire (3d analyse - choppy through some of the warping)
Half Life 2 ( some graphics problems unless I used 3d analyse)
Company of Heroes (3d analyse)
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Star Wars FPS: ( cant remember which one)

Games I intend to try:

World in Conflict
Supreme Commander ( major difficulties!)
The Witcher (again major difficulties! )

Games I haven't got to work fullstop:

Painkiller
A few other FPS that I can't remember

It really winds me up as I used to have a pentium 4 3ghz with an nvidia something 64MB and 512 ram and i could play Oblivion, Black and White 2, Prey, Deus Ex: IW to name a a few!

Could someone please tell if they have got these games to run on a GMA950:

Chronicles of Riddick
No One Live Forever 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars: KOTOR 2
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2
Supreme Commander (very interested to know!)
The Witcher (very interested to know!)
SpellForce 2

My Spec:

Acer 5630
T5500 1.66ghz
1 GB RAM
GMA 950

Currently using Windows 7 but was using XP beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.