HELP: Amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ windsor OCing

footblfrk97

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Hey guys i'm wondering how much more i can get out of my CPU. as it says in the thread topic i have an amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ windsor which is a 90nm fabrication. I have sucessfully OC'd the CPU to 2.4 ghz from 2ghz without messing with fsb and voltage and all that other junk. i have heard of some people who have gotten their cpu's to 2.6 successfully. the only thing i had to do was downclock my memory to 667 so that it would run stable. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 rev.1 which has the nforce4 chipset. I'm pretty sure this isnt that great of an OCing board but if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it. i just want GTA4 to run a bit faster cuz right now its laggy as hell.

my pc specs:
Amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ windsor
Gigabyte GA-M55 SLI
Corsair 750Watt PSU
4 gig ddr2 800mhz corsair (2x2gb)
evga 9800GTX+ (no OC)
640GB WD caviar
Vista Ult. 64 bit

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
OK. First, how can you overclock without adjusting the FSB?

Well, I'll just assume that you're using software applications. Sadly, using those programs is not the best solution, you will really need to use the BIOS settings. As they are usually inefficient and cannot fine tune stuff that is needed for really high overclocks.

Are you still using the stock AMD fan/heatsink? I'd suggest buying a new aftermarket one.

footblfrk97

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
sorry i worded my post wrong, no i am not using any software to OC and yes i actually did mess around with the FSB original i think was at 200 mhz i got it up to 240mhz i just never messed around with the multiplier cuz i cant go past 10X on my board i dunno why mabye nforce4 but yes i have an aftermarket cooler the AMD version of the Freezer Pro and my idle temps are around 30c and 45c under load or close to that i use speed fan to moniter temps.

Any other thoughts now ?? thanks

footblfrk97

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006

sorry i worded my post wrong, no i am not using any software to OC and yes i actually did mess around with the FSB original i think was at 200 mhz i got it up to 240mhz i just never messed around with the multiplier cuz i cant go past 10X on my board i dunno why mabye nforce4 but yes i have an aftermarket cooler the AMD version of the Freezer Pro and my idle temps are around 30c and 45c under load or close to that i use speed fan to moniter temps.

Any other thoughts now ?? thanks